How To Make Exercise Feel Good?

Confession time: I hate working out. HATE it.

It's not just feeling worn out for hours afterward, or being sweaty. It's the dizziness and weakness and nausia that come with it.

Yet, I hear about these 'second winds' and 'runners highs' and 'feeling amazing after a workout'. This is very alien to me, kind of like if people came out of the dentist's office and started bragging about how great they feel.

So, obviously, I'm doing something wrong. Any advice, suggestions, hacks, tips, or other things that will change my workout days from "oh god, please don't let me puke until I get back home" to "rrawr, I could rip the face off a mountain"?

Comments

• What are you doing? as "exercise"

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

At a first glance without any info I assume it has something to do with macro nutrition.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• i hear you, i think "exercise" is pretty uninteresting (except for the 15 minutes of BBS a week i do). instead of "exercising" try taking up some physically challenging hobbies/passions you can actually get excited about. if it isn't fun it's probably bad for you.  

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

I'm very curious what you train, StJason.

I feel tired after swimming, okay after strength training, especially the next day with firm muscles, good after conditioning and  "rrawr, I could rip the face off a mountain" after martial arts. I don't do aerobic and stuff like that because it doesn't feel good and it's useless.

If what you're doing is not working for you, either look around in your diet or try some other way of training. Maybe you're training too much, or are not that fit yet to not feel overwhelmed?

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• I agree that broadening the variety of movement is good, and I'm into that a little bit too, but I prefer to focus more on doing a couple really awesome things that I love at a deeper level. Focusing on "reps" and "times" and "weights" etc. make me feel like a lab rat or a machine, when I'd rather feel like I'm playing.
  • So we cycle back to the question, "What are you doing?". Also, the second question, "What are you eating?" And the third question, "What type of movement do you LIKE to do?"

Once we know those 3 answers... 

• Like to know if you're 'excising' or 'training'. I would guess everybody interested enough to be on here would be 'training' either bodies and not just moving around to burn energy.

Not enough info to help in my opinion :-(

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Working out is similar to mediation for me. I zone in and flow
  • How to make exercise feel good? Easy. Sex.

• Wow. Turn around for one day, and the thread exploded.

So, my "scheduele" runs thusly

Mon-Wed-Fri. 15-20 minute yoga warmup. Followed by 5x5 Stronglifts.

Tue-Thur: 15 minute yoga warmup. Followed by 20 minute HIIT on elliptical or stationary... depending on how I'm feeling.

Now, I say "scheduele" because honestly, I dislike it enough that I'm just as likely to skip or do partial as to do them. It's not going until exhaustion or pain or even until I can't do anymore. When I do force myself to do them, I can go through them. I just feel rancid afterward for hours.

I don't think it's an intensity issue. I could do more, and I've paired this down to a pretty compact bundle. It's just that it's so horrible in every way that summoning the willpower to keep doing them is tough. Imagine going to the dentist every day. That's kind of how I feel.

• ...and your goal with all of this is what? Changing how you look? Being healthy? Being strong? You don't have to do stuff you hate to do any of that. Play!
  • 1. Between lack of funds, transportation, and knowing anyone in this city. "Play" isn't really possible. This routine grew up by utilizing what I have access to as well as quite a bit of research into what is efficiant to reduce the overall amount of time.

2. I don't believe it's a matter of the 'what I do'. I've done classes, swimming, tried to force myself jogging, doing hiking, etc. And it's definatly a physical reaction with my mental reaction to the physical symptoms on top. I get similar reactions for all of them. More, I keep hearing of the responces from other people who do athletic things and I do not get these responces. Let me repeat that, because people have been missing that. I do not get a runners high. I do not feel good after a workout. I do not feel good physically because of my attempts.

More, I feel physcially bad. Nausia. Dizzyness. Shakey. Weakness that lasts for hours afterward. Were I doing some crazy routine that left me panting and barely able to move afterward... Then I could see my responces. But I'm not working that high. I could deal with the boredom of it if it were the only symptom. But it's boring at the same time as it makes me feel awful.

3. As for goals (little bit of a sidetrack here as well, guys...), it's the same thing that everyone exercises for. Get healthier. Lose weight. Improve. Physical, mental and emotional improvements.

The physical symptoms make me think it's some sort of nutrition or supplimentation issue. Though I'm not ruling out some sort of physiological issue.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I think it can be an adrenal problem. Have you done some tests or symptoms that make you suspect adrenal issues?

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Wow. Turn around for one day, and the thread exploded.

So, my "scheduele" runs thusly

Mon-Wed-Fri. 15-20 minute yoga warmup. Followed by 5x5 Stronglifts.

Tue-Thur: 15 minute yoga warmup. Followed by 20 minute HIIT on elliptical or stationary... depending on how I'm feeling.

Now, I say "scheduele" because honestly, I dislike it enough that I'm just as likely to skip or do partial as to do them. It's not going until exhaustion or pain or even until I can't do anymore. When I do force myself to do them, I can go through them. I just feel rancid afterward for hours.

I don't think it's an intensity issue. I could do more, and I've paired this down to a pretty compact bundle. It's just that it's so horrible in every way that summoning the willpower to keep doing them is tough. Imagine going to the dentist every day. That's kind of how I feel.

Sound like its a problem with your work out.   I have never been able to build or maintain any passion for gym work outs.   Once in a while is fine, but long term?.... no way.  I think as human beings we're at our best when we're striving for a goal.  If everyday the end of the gym work out, the weight stack is in the same place that it started and the treadmill has not moved even an inch, there's a very corrosive futility to the whole thing.  

I got into Mountain Biking a few years ago.  I love it.  Cant wait to go.   Track all my stuff with Strava so I'm constantly racing myself to go faster.   Its a pure bonus that I go out for an intense 90 minutes, sweat my rear off, have some great looking calves, and come home every day with a 1200 calorie hole in my diet for the day.  An unlike riding a stationary bike, there's a very visceral sense of accomplishment when you look back and realize your car is parked way back on the other side of that big mountain.   

Find something you have some passion and momentum for, make that your focus, and save the gym workouts for days when you can't do what your passionate about.   Also, your gym workouts will get a lot better when you're focused on synergistic exercises that will help you be stronger at your passionate sport.  

I gather you are a city dweller, but just for fun, see if there's an indoor rock climbing gym near you.  Its great exercise, the sense of height creates a level of intensity that's hard to find on a nautalus machine, there's a natural progression to going out on the weekend to climb on real rock with camping and hiking as bonus exercise, and nothing will get you motivated to go hard as the regular gym like trying to get the strength and leanness you need to drag yourself up an overhang.   

• edited November 2014

Find something you have some passion and momentum for, make that your focus, and save the gym workouts for days when you can't do what your passionate about.   Also, your gym workouts will get a lot better when you're focused on synergistic exercises that will help you be stronger at your passionate sport. 

Again, missing the whole issue.

It's not the exercise. I get worn out and nausious on my bike. I get dizzy and drained while hiking. Back when I did Taikwondo, I had to sit out halfway through the class.

It is physiological symptoms that I am asking for hacks for. I suspect it might be a hormonal thing. So I was hoping for suggestions on suppliments or nutrition or at worst, confirmation that this is something that I should go to a doctor for.