Feeling Tired Or Not Refreshed After Waking Up

Even after I sleep for 7 to 9 hours I don't feel refreshed after waking up.

How can I improve my sleep quality?

I have tried intaking:

* 1000 mg fish oil

* 300 mg ZMA (zinc magnesium asparate) - it worked for 1st two days I took it but on subsequent days it didn't seem to improve my sleep quality

* 750 mcg melotonin - it also worked for 1st two days I took it but on subsequent days it didn't seem to improve my sleep quality

I also tried blacking out the room but it don't seem to help much either.

What should I do else?

Comments

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

What does your general diet look like? Bulletproof?

And how are your stress levels? Have you tried meditating, HRV training, or something like that?

• I am vegeterian since birth. I have started on bulletproof coffee (instead of coffee I use green tea).

I haven't tried meditation but I do art of living's breathing exercise sparingly and no I haven't tried HRV training so far.

• I am vegeterian since birth. I have started on bulletproof coffee (instead of coffee I use green tea).

I haven't tried meditation but I do art of living's breathing exercise sparingly and no I haven't tried HRV training so far.

Since birth...how long may that be, if not a secret? Are you still vegetarian?

Are you eating enough food? Vegetarian diets may be calorie restricted and that may be stressful on the body. If not, move along...

Taking any other supplements? B vitamins (B6 for example) are important for neurotransmitter synthesis, including GABA (the "relaxing" neurotransmitter). Make sure you get enough of those.

Also, check out this thread about supplements:

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/1318-bulletproof-supplements-nootropics-guide/

In addition to magnesium and melatonin, you can add some glycine. It may improve sleep quality. I think it was 3g.

You can try Bacopa (500mg - 1g), low-dose lithium (5-10mg lithium orotate) and Phenibut (250mg-500mg), but all of these are only short-term solutions. Phenibut will most likely cause dependence and withdrawal if used daily for a long period of time.

You may also try pre-bed small meals, like whey, MCT oil, collagen (alternatively gelatin), raw honey (alternatively sugar). You tried fish oil, however 1000mg is not very much...try table spoon and use oil. All of these may improve sleep by improving energy substrate accessibility to the brain.

You may also have a somewhat dysregulated cortisol circadian rhythm e.g low morning cortisol, high evening - night cortisol = crappy sleep.

I'm no expert in resetting circadian rhythms, but you may try: protein first thing in the morning (at least 50g), sun exposure (natural or artificial, also first thing in the morning). In the evening f.lux on your PC, blue blocker glasses (orange color), minimal lights (especially blue) 2-3 hour before bed.

For more info you can look in the general sleep thread for more info.

• edited November 2014

Thanks DagothUr.

I'm 30 years old.

I'm thinking of trying optimen from optimum nutrution for including most of the vitamins/minerals:

However, for now, my main focus is only on improving sleep so I don't want to try lots of things at once. I want to add one thing at a time so I can measure what has been effective for my sleep quality improvement.

I tried searching for GABA, glycine and MCT oil but couldn't find it in local stores. For glycine they show me the bag full of liquid which is injected to patient.

Yes, I'm taking bacopa 200 mg.

For fish oil, I take it in capsule form from optimum nutrition. It comes in 1000mg capsules. How many should I take?

I have installed f.lux in all my devices. I jailbroken my iphone and ipad just for installing the f.lux.

• DagothUrDagothUr
    edited November 2014

Thanks DagothUr.

I'm 30 years old.

I'm thinking of trying optimen from optimum nutrution for including most of the vitamins/minerals:

However, for now, my main focus is only on improving sleep so I don't want to try lots of things at once. I want to add one thing at a time so I can measure what has been effective for my sleep quality improvement.

I tried searching for GABA, glycine and MCT oil but couldn't find it in local stores. For glycine they show me the bag full of liquid which is injected to patient.

Yes, I'm taking bacopa 200 mg.

For fish oil, I take it in capsule form from optimum nutrition. It comes in 1000mg capsules. How many should I take?

I have installed f.lux in all my devices. I jailbroken my iphone and ipad just for installing the f.lux.

So vegetarian for 30 years. I take it you fully understand that you may have deficiencies of some micro-nutrients and that may impair some aspects of your body. If you are confident in the multivitamin you take, ok.

Taking GABA most likely will not be beneficial, because it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier.

If you need something GABA-ergic, try Phenibut short term.

If you want glycine, buy it in powder form online:
    http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=glycine+powder&x=0&y=0#p=1
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=glycine&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xglycine+powder&_nkw=glycine+powder&_sacat=0

Same goes for MCT.

You may be actually taking enough fish oil, considering Dave recommends 1g Krill oil, which is considered somewhat more bioavailable that plain fish oil. Maybe up to 2000-3000 mg day and see how it works.

• Yes I have read them all. Try everything suggested knee at a time. But still haven't been able to get quality sleep consistently.
  • DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Try salt in the morning and day light... Get a lamp that emits daylight. Works for me really good.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• I drink two glass of warm water every morning. I squeeze a lemon and add some salt in one of the glasses.

I have got philips golite blue but I got mild headache every time I use it even at the lowest brightness. If I goto balcony for sunlight then will it have similar effect?
  • I battle similar issues. I had a period of time when I was doing really well. But I was doing several things at the same time, so I'm not sure what helped the most. Iodine, daily morning walks for fresh air and sunshine (no sunglasses to get the bright light to the eyes), and supplementation for mitochondria. I have no proof, but speculate that it's related to mitochondria.

• Berry, what kind of supplmentation have you used for mitochondria?

• SystemSystem mod
    edited November 2014

Before the Unfair Advantage came, I tried PQQ and Ubiquinone. I haven't been using any supplements for a few weeks now. I can tell a small difference, but not enough to go back.

I also have been reading a lot of Jack Kruse. He has lots of mitochondria advice, if you can follow him. I'm not saying I can follow him, but sometimes I get what he's saying. My gut feeling tells me he's right. DHA is key. I have been eating more seafood.

This video is really interesting, especially starting at 31:30. At 58:50 he has some interesting things to say about a vegan diet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yboyGPjekCU

Oh, another tip is to reduce your EMF exposure! I turn off my wi-fi at night now. I think that helps too.

• I have been having good results with the 1 tablespoon of raw honey 1-2 hours before bed. I wake up with less brain fog after that. I heard Dave mention that the brain uses more fructose at night and boosting it before bed helps avoid the deficit in the morning hence causing the headaches.
  • Thanks j2180. Will try that.

edited December 2014

Hey, man the light hacking works if you get outside but during the winter it's dark in the morning and late afternoon so stepping onto the balkony might not work during winter....depends where you live of course. :D

However the first thing I did was buying these fancy glasses you can see in my profile pic... helps me along with HRV training to get to sleep quickly. I also plug my ears and use a sleeping mask in order to not see anything anymore. Works wonders for me.

First thing I wake up in the morning will be mask off. and already I see more light and this instant I feel more energy. Next step I got me the following cheap and simple lamps:

http://www.amazon.de/Exo-Terra-PT2189-Reptile-W%C3%9CSTEN-TERRARIENLAMPE/dp/B00101GDIG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1417682006&sr=8-3&keywords=uvb

http://www.amazon.de/Exo-Terra-PT2191-Natural-Vollspektrum-Tageslichtlampe/dp/B00101IC7G/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0QQM71FS61S970GNAGNY

These are not just cheap but also effective for light hacking in my experience.

I also have 2 of these and I put them on blue in the morning...red evening... sometimes something in between.

http://www.amazon.de/Philips-Energiesparende-LED-Technologie-Fernbedienung-7099860PH/dp/B009567QPC/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1417682402&sr=8-20&keywords=hue

And one normal lamp...

I have them all working via remote control and switch them on after putting off the sleeping mask... Ready for the day! And believe me I am not a morning guy.

Another thing I have just recently bought is a therapeutic UVB lamp for my psoriasis and vitamin D during winter. It seems to help as well. But thats expensive not like the other two lamps...

Then some warm liquid,  some salt and protein in the morning, some kind of movement and breathing

Thats probably the basics of my daily routine even though I stopped the exercise in the morning stuff at the moment and I can go back to intermittent fasting and a little bit of theanine.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Nexgen.   I'd be careful about drinking too much water first thing in the morning.  If your blood sugar isn't stable you can ruin your whole day.  Also, I'm curious as to whether you have lunalas (moons) on your fingernails.  When body parts start to disappear, it's time to pay attention to your diet.  My son was a vegetarian for a few years and his moons completely disappeared....only to return a few months after eating animal product.  He also had been extremely exhausted while not eating meat.  I'd check out Dave's podcast with Ben Lynch (MTHFR) as he has some interesting information regarding gene mutation, treatment and also how diet can impact your health. 

• i'm not sure what your schedule is like, but try sleeping ~4 hours during the day and then ~4 hours at night. i've been doing this and feel amazing. may not work for everyone obviously and it may seem strange, but experimenting is what we're all about right?

maybe a different approach is what you need rather than buying more supplements

my sleep schedule is roughly -

12:30 - 4:30 AM sleep

2:30 - 6:00 PM sleep

i dont set an alarm unless i really need to get up for something, otherwise you wake up when your body is ready to

• Hey, man the light hacking works if you get outside but during the winter it's dark in the morning and late afternoon so stepping onto the balkony might not work during winter....depends where you live of course. :D

However the first thing I did was buying these fancy glasses you can see in my profile pic... helps me along with HRV training to get to sleep quickly. I also plug my ears and use a sleeping mask in order to not see anything anymore. Works wonders for me.

First thing I wake up in the morning will be mask off. and already I see more light and this instant I feel more energy. Next step I got me the following cheap and simple lamps:

http://www.amazon.de/Exo-Terra-PT2189-Reptile-W%C3%9CSTEN-TERRARIENLAMPE/dp/B00101GDIG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1417682006&sr=8-3&keywords=uvb

http://www.amazon.de/Exo-Terra-PT2191-Natural-Vollspektrum-Tageslichtlampe/dp/B00101IC7G/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0QQM71FS61S970GNAGNY

These are not just cheap but also effective for light hacking in my experience.

I also have 2 of these and I put them on blue in the morning...red evening... sometimes something in between.

http://www.amazon.de/Philips-Energiesparende-LED-Technologie-Fernbedienung-7099860PH/dp/B009567QPC/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1417682402&sr=8-20&keywords=hue

And one normal lamp...

I have them all working via remote control and switch them on after putting off the sleeping mask... Ready for the day! And believe me I am not a morning guy.

Another thing I have just recently bought is a therapeutic UVB lamp for my psoriasis and vitamin D during winter. It seems to help as well. But thats expensive not like the other two lamps...

Then some warm liquid,  some salt and protein in the morning, some kind of movement and breathing

Thats probably the basics of my daily routine even though I stopped the exercise in the morning stuff at the moment and I can go back to intermittent fasting and a little bit of theanine.

Hi Dman,

These two bulbs look like ordinary cfl bulbs:

Is it something different? Can you explain more about it?

• Nexgen.   I'd be careful about drinking too much water first thing in the morning.  If your blood sugar isn't stable you can ruin your whole day.  Also, I'm curious as to whether you have lunalas (moons) on your fingernails.  When body parts start to disappear, it's time to pay attention to your diet.  My son was a vegetarian for a few years and his moons completely disappeared....only to return a few months after eating animal product.  He also had been extremely exhausted while not eating meat.  I'd check out Dave's podcast with Ben Lynch (MTHFR) as he has some interesting information regarding gene mutation, treatment and also how diet can impact your health. 

Just now noticed I have lunalas only in my index finger and thumb. There's no lunalas in other fingers. What does that signify? How bad is it and how can it be corrected?

I don't know what CFL means but the first fone emits full spectrum light and UVA while the other one emits UVB. So they both give you the perfect fake daylight... These bulbs are normally used inside a terrarium. That's why they are so cheap...

So what is cfl?

How much to eat:

• CFL bulb just means: Compact fluorescent lamp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

Ah I see. Alright they are not normal CFl bulbs. The cover the whole daylight spectrum and you can even generate vitamin d if you get close to the UVB bulb. :)

How much to eat:

• GarrettGarrett
    edited December 2014

Tell yourself, as you're falling asleep, that you're going to wake-up the next day with lots of energy. Repeat this to yourself, as you're falling asleep. It really does make a difference. 

Also, what does your last hour of the day look like? What are you doing during that time? And what time are you going to sleep each night? Do you have a regular sleep schedule / time, for when you do go to sleep? What about your morning? 

What does the first hour - 2 hours of your day (Wake-up) look like, and what does the last ~hour of your day (pre-bed) look like? What activities are you doing during those times?

Sleep | Wake-up | DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY | Pre-bed | Sleep

As well, HOW are you waking up? Alarm clock? Sunrise clock?

How dark is your room when you sleep? How quiet is your room & house?

• Garrett_K,

Below are the answers:

Also, what does your last hour of the day look like? What are you doing during that time? And what time are you going to sleep each night?

> After I come from office, I lay down on my bed with my iPad. I have got dim yellow light in my room. (I replaced the bright white bulb with the yellow one). Also, I have installed f.lux in my iPad.

In iPad I watch informative video and read articles.

Do you have a regular sleep schedule / time, for when you do go to sleep? What about your morning? 

> I generally sleep at around 10 PM to 11 PM and wake up at 8 AM. I don't use alarm to wake up. (I usually have weak sleep during morning)

What does the first hour - 2 hours of your day (Wake-up) look like, and what does the last ~hour of your day (pre-bed) look like? What activities are you doing during those times?

> After I wake up I take 2 glass of warm water. In one of the glasses I squeeze a lemon and put some salt. After that I do some stretching and breathing exercise. Then bath, breakfast and goto office.

Sleep | Wake-up | DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY | Pre-bed | Sleep

As well, HOW are you waking up? Alarm clock? Sunrise clock?

> No I don't use alarm clock for now. I have sunrise clock but later I stopped using it since sometime I want to sleep more becuase I'm not feeling refreshed.

How dark is your room when you sleep? How quiet is your room & house?

> It's quite dark. I used to use the very dim light while sleeping but after hearing from dave I now make it ver dark. My room and house are quiet.

• edited December 2014

Well it could be many things.  Are you stressed in your life right now? That would be my first guess when it comes to sleep issues.

Next on my guessing list would be that

-your overtraining when it comes to working out

-there are some type of toxins in your room

-your body is going through a detox

-sleep apnea?

This is really a tough question OP.  If you want to talk more about sleep PM me, as I used to have terrible sleep issues that I have solved because of Dave Asprey.  

Some of the things I do for sleep are magnesium, working out 30 minutes at a time 3 times a week, lowering my mental stress, using an accupressure mat, CES device, blacking out my windows, using red/blue LED lights, keeping the room cool (thats a huge one for me, I can't sleep in a warm room), and having a set sleep schedule.

EDIT - Don't forget the orange glasses one to two hours before bedtime.  This is my favorite sleep hack and I forgot about it!

3nergy & Matter

I love music

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

...keeping the room cool (thats a huge one for me, I can't sleep in a warm room)...

@3nergy, what are using to cool your room...(air con?)

fake it till you make it

• Well it's winter where I am so I don't turn on the heat and use blankets to warm myself to my desired temperature.  I would buy the Chilipad but I don't have enough money at the moment.

3nergy & Matter

I love music

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014

Well it's winter where I am so I don't turn on the heat and use blankets to warm myself to my desired temperature.  I would buy the Chilipad but I don't have enough money at the moment.

ok thx. i have the opposite prob at the moment, it's too hot & i have no air con.

tho i have the same prob on the chilpad front, ie. no spare cash at the moment.

fake it till you make it