Pre-Military Bootcamp

Hi, I've recently joined the U.S. Navy, and I deploy June 2nd, 2015.

I am currently a skinnyfat 6'2'' 155lb male and am looking to find the best training routine to exceed on the PRT (physical readiness test)

My goal is to hit "maximum" in each of the categories except running, I would be satisfied with Excellent.  

PERFORMANCE     POINTS  CURL    PUSH      1.5-MILE     SWIM

CATEGORY                UPS     UPS       RUN          500-YD     450-M

"Maximum"       100     105     87        8:30          6:30      6:20       

Outstanding     90      98      81        9:15          7:30      7:20

Excellent       75      87      71        10:30          8:45     8:35

Good            60      58      47        12:00          11:30    11:20

Satisfactory    45      46      37        13:30          13:00    12:50

Failure        <45      <46     <37       >13:30        >13:00   >12:50

Original plan to hit goals:

I recently read the "7 weeks to 100 pushups" book, and am planning to use their routine for pushups.  

I'm most likely going to use a very similar routine for curlups.

I don't know what the best way for me to train for the running aspect is.

Advice/Critiques/Opinions/Thoughts/Ideas on what I should/shouldn't do will be appreciated.  

Comments

• Hi, I've recently joined the U.S. Navy, and I deploy June 2nd, 2015.

I am currently a skinnyfat 6'2'' 155lb male and am looking to find the best training routine to exceed on the PRT (physical readiness test)

My goal is to hit "maximum" in each of the categories except running, I would be satisfied with Excellent.  

PERFORMANCE     POINTS  CURL    PUSH      1.5-MILE     SWIM

CATEGORY                UPS     UPS       RUN          500-YD     450-M

"Maximum"       100     105     87        8:30          6:30      6:20       

Outstanding     90      98      81        9:15          7:30      7:20

Excellent       75      87      71        10:30          8:45     8:35

Good            60      58      47        12:00          11:30    11:20

Satisfactory    45      46      37        13:30          13:00    12:50

Failure        <45      <46     <37       >13:30        >13:00   >12:50

Original plan to hit goals:

I recently read the "7 weeks to 100 pushups" book, and am planning to use their routine for pushups.  

I'm most likely going to use a very similar routine for curlups.

I don't know what the best way for me to train for the running aspect is.

Advice/Critiques/Opinions/Thoughts/Ideas on what I should/shouldn't do will be appreciated.  

First, i know u said u deploy in June, but when exactly is the test ?  And what kind of overall health & physical shape are u in now ?  Do u exercise at all now ?  

What kind of diet are u on now ?  In addition to starting out on some kind of structured exercise plan now, i would absolutely recommend that u upgrade/improve your eating habits if they are sub-optimal now.   This will help your body adapt better to the exercise you will be doing for the next several months, which will ultimately help you perform better on the test.   Cleaner eating of course (u probably already know this , so sorry if that's the case) means dropping the crap...processed junk food, pop, sugary foods, etc etc  and eating more greens, veggies, fruits, good fats, fish, etc etc (essentially eating more bulletproof)  .  

Regarding the physical tests, let's say u did them today...where would your results be on the performance chart ?  And i'm curious, when u take the test in June, does it really matter what your results are as long as they aren't "failure" ?   I guess i'm asking, if u perform better like "maximum" or "outstanding", do you get  "ranked" higher on your first deployment or get some kind of more favorable "points" in your file or more favorable treatment ?   (sorry i'm not at all familiar with how the military operates with this stuff).    Also, the numbers in the chart for pushups & curlups, is there a time-limit on that , like one or two minutes ?  

Regarding the swimming, if u aren't much of a swimmer right now, i'd advise taking a quick lesson or two now just to learn proper technique (i assume you'll be doing the basic 'crawl'/freestyle stroke for the test ?) ... learning proper efficient technique now, then practicing it , will only help u with your test time 6-7 months from now.   

I'd say follow the advice from that book u mentioned (7 weeks to 100 pushups) and do something similar for the curlups.  You've got plenty of time (assuming the test isn't until May ?) .  Maybe you run 3-4 days a week and swim on the others.  I know there is some good swimming advice on YouTube (books too).  First learn the proper techniques (running too, but technique is more important in swimming than running  IMO) then just start small and build up to longer distances/times.   Don't burn yourself out too soon either .  

• Go to sealift.com it is a seal training site by Mark Divine that has programming specifically for people going for these sort of tests in any branch, they also sell a manual which is a progressive schedule to build capacity.

Yes i second that advice from Jason ... although i think he is referring to " SEALFIT.COM "   ,  not " sealift "  .    It's a very good site and there are also other legit  military-themed fitness-test-prep sites & YT vids out there , just google it

• First, i know u said u deploy in June, but when exactly is the test ?  And what kind of overall health & physical shape are u in now ?  Do u exercise at all now ?  

What kind of diet are u on now ?  In addition to starting out on some kind of structured exercise plan now, i would absolutely recommend that u upgrade/improve your eating habits if they are sub-optimal now.   This will help your body adapt better to the exercise you will be doing for the next several months, which will ultimately help you perform better on the test.   Cleaner eating of course (u probably already know this , so sorry if that's the case) means dropping the crap...processed junk food, pop, sugary foods, etc etc  and eating more greens, veggies, fruits, good fats, fish, etc etc (essentially eating more bulletproof)  .  

Regarding the physical tests, let's say u did them today...where would your results be on the performance chart ?  And i'm curious, when u take the test in June, does it really matter what your results are as long as they aren't "failure" ?   I guess i'm asking, if u perform better like "maximum" or "outstanding", do you get  "ranked" higher on your first deployment or get some kind of more favorable "points" in your file or more favorable treatment ?   (sorry i'm not at all familiar with how the military operates with this stuff).    Also, the numbers in the chart for pushups & curlups, is there a time-limit on that , like one or two minutes ?  

Regarding the swimming, if u aren't much of a swimmer right now, i'd advise taking a quick lesson or two now just to learn proper technique (i assume you'll be doing the basic 'crawl'/freestyle stroke for the test ?) ... learning proper efficient technique now, then practicing it , will only help u with your test time 6-7 months from now.   

I'd say follow the advice from that book u mentioned (7 weeks to 100 pushups) and do something similar for the curlups.  You've got plenty of time (assuming the test isn't until May ?) .  Maybe you run 3-4 days a week and swim on the others.  I know there is some good swimming advice on YouTube (books too).  First learn the proper techniques (running too, but technique is more important in swimming than running  IMO) then just start small and build up to longer distances/times.   Don't burn yourself out too soon either .  

The test will be within the first week of June, and if I score well I get a promotion the first week of BootCamp.  My diet is suboptimal, but I've been constantly improving it over the past year.  I still don't eat bulletproof, but I rarely intake processed foods and I don't drink soda/eat candy/fast food/etc.  After finding this website, I shortly ordered bulletproof coffee and was extremely glad to see a lot of information on this website, as I'm doing as much life improvement as possible.

I'm not worried about the swimming because I've been swimming since before I could walk, and I have good form.

Thank you guys for the advice, I'll definitely check out sealfit.com :)

• I heard a quote, I believe by Kelly Starrett, though I could be wrong, about how high level military operators may simply be genetically gifted at processing garbage food and  handling awful sleeping circumstances while maintaining performance. I can't imagine military rations are bulletproof, and if you deploy overseas, you'll probably have even less control over your diet. Some anti-gluten people have suggested that aid workers and others who may be forced to eat whatever's in front of them in the future should maintain occasional doses of gluten so that they don't have an adverse reaction in those circumstances. 

I'm wondering what the BP community's take on this situation is... if MrFrigid goes fully BP, might he have a nasty first few weeks in bootcamp when he has less control over his diet? Might there be a case for maintaining a low-level intake of problematic foods? I know my top-end performance suffers when I eat crappy food, but I have a much worse reaction from crappy food when I've been eating perfectly for a long period of time. 

Yes i second that advice from Jason ... although i think he is referring to " SEALFIT.COM "   ,  not " sealift "  .  

However, seal lifts are more cute than almost any other exercise and will probably get you get phone numbers at the gym. 

seal.jpg

What animal do you even lift, bro?

• Build muscle mass then adapt the new muscle to specific requirements.

Fastest & safest way to build muscle: Body by Science

Couple this with BP diet and enough protein.

Intermittent fasting w/BP Coffee will give you an extra testosterone boost.

Drink 3-4 liters of water per day.

Spend 3-4 months building muscle mass, then pursue the SealFit.com protocol to apply your new muscle.

Apply yourself to this and I'd wager you can hit "Maximum" on all tests.

I disagree a bit with Kelly Starrett on this.  While I agree that almost everyone self-selects for whatever they do, I think you have overriding factors to genetics.  Not all SEALS or special forces look like Supermen/Mesomorphs.

If you want to handle the physical and emotional stress of Boot Camp, begin Heart Rate Variability (HRV) training (HeartMath, Box Breathing) NOW.

In SEAL training the Navy discovered HRV training more differentiated those that made it through the training/qualification than anything else they could identify or measure.  Plenty of operators don't look like supermen.  The mind rules the body.  SEALs want mental toughness beyond anything else.  HRV training helps.