Greenfield Endurance Bar/drink

edited November 2014 in Physical Performance

Anyone play around with endurance drinks or bars ala Ben Greenfield's recommendations?  I'm thinking about trying to create a bar for snowboarding made with dark chocolate, MCT or coconut oil, essential amino acids or brand-chain amino acids, and some UCAN superstarch; but, before I start wasting a bunch of expensive ingredients, anyone have any thoughts or recommendations or experience to share?

potential ingredients list for a bar, or a drink/slurry designed for 4-6 hour hard snowboarding sessions:

MCT or coconut oil - 1-2tbsp/hr

EAAs or BCAAs - 5-10g/hr

UCAN superstarch - 100kCal/hr

creatine monohydrate

caffeine

d-ribose (or trehalose, maybe? if it works similarly)

cocoa and/or cocoa butter - flavour/taste, some theobromine and l-theanine?

Mr. Asprey mentioned, in podcast 102 also:

Magnesium malate - for anti-cramping

Sea salt - probably for anti-cramping and mineral/water balance

large doses of l-glutamine (after 2-3 hours, post-20 mile marathon equivalent)

B12 - ?

Oxaloacetate - most recommendations I see recommend this 30-60min prior to, but Dave seems to imply during was good too; Ben G. mentioned he uses 6 of the Upgraded Self ones before an Ironman (2 before, 2 at a chosen time, and 2 before the bike)

Comments

• I've used a very similar combination for cycling and I swear by it. I use it whenever I get out for a ride longer than 4 hours. I've not tried it while snowboarding, but given the way it makes me feel on the bike, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'm not sure how it will holdup in the cold.

Here is a link to the recipe I posted on my blog.

http://www.cyclizing.com/blog/fat-fueled-bike-nutrition/

• Mr. Asprey mentioned, in podcast 102 also:

Magnesium malate - for anti-cramping

Sea salt - probably for anti-cramping and mineral/water balance

large doses of l-glutamine (after 2-3 hours, post-20 mile marathon equivalent)

B12 - ?

Salt is there because it helps the adrenals. You should add a bit of vitamin c in there for the same reason.

I'd almost be tempted to add a dash of Spirulina in there to cover the micronutrients. It has a good bunch of the ones you listed above. There is also some preliminary research that indicates there might be something else in Spirulina that may help athletes as well. (Note: these aren't very good studies, but hint that there might be something worth looking into. Someday we'll get a large, controlled study. Until then, here is some reading for you.)

http://www.now-university.com/Library/FitnessSportsNutrition/081644.htm

http://www.ergo-log.com/spirulinarunning.html

• L-Glutamine is listed to help mitigate some of the immuno-suppression common (esp when carb depleted) post endurance exercise.

Sea salt helpful - for mineral balance, even in the cold.