Collagen = Anxiety, Anger, Bad Mood

Recently I have noticed easy irritability and I have narrowed it down to after Collagen supplementation. I usually have around 15 - 30 grams of Great Lakes Collagen sometime during the day with water or coconut milk or raw milk.

A few weeks ago I was supplementing with small dose 5-HTP before bed, and L-Tyrosine In the morning, I was having amazing sleep, and great energy/focus but got midday/afternoon anxiety (which looking back was probably after collagen). I stopped taking both of these supplements after this.

Looking at the amino acid profile of collagen, it is around 1/100th tyrosine.

Would this be enough to cause upped dopamine and trigger a flight or flight response mode or are these post collagen symptoms indication of excessive dopamine in my system?

Would supplementing with low dose Tryptophan at night time help to 'use up' excessive dopamine?

Is there something else in the collagen that could be causing this?

Daily Continual supplements are:

Nutrience

Thorne B Complex

Fish Oil - 3g Of EPA / 2.4g of DHA

2 - 3g Vitamin C

5g Creatine

15 - 30g Collagen

30g Whey

Other things I take, but not every day:

ALCAR

Tumeric

Glucosamine

Maca Powder

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Freelance Wordpress developer and wannabe powerlifter
carlaiau.com

Comments

• Interesting point about the collagen profile, but I think your irritability is related to performing daily self-experiments with neurotransmitter precursors where you don't fully understand all the variables in the environment.  I'd personally stop the experiment and get my NTs tested by a good functional doctor before I play around with 5HTP and Tyrosine in this manner any further.  There are better ways to get a good night sleep.

Everything else you supplement with seems reasonable

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred
    It may have nothing to do with neurotransmitters at all. When you feel your cortisol spiking, test your blood sugar.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Any kind of protein you eat will contain tyrosine (and other amino acids).

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Interesting point about the collagen profile, but I think your irritability is related to performing daily self-experiments with neurotransmitter precursors where you don't fully understand all the variables in the environment.  I'd personally stop the experiment and get my NTs tested by a good functional doctor before I play around with 5HTP and Tyrosine in this manner any further.  There are better ways to get a good night sleep.

Everything else you supplement with seems reasonable

Experiment was stopped 3 days in. They're too powerful to mess round with, without a good understanding and/or baseline. 

carlaiau.com

• It may have nothing to do with neurotransmitters at all. When you feel your cortisol spiking, test your blood sugar.

Blood sugar should be pretty stable, I eat somewhere around 50% - 60% fat, and 25 - 20% Carb & Protein. With the majority of carbohydrates at night time in the form of Sweet Potato. 

Other potentials could be (if it is cortisol related):

I probably need to cycle off caffeine, problem is it tastes to good.

Intermittent Fasting, but I don't think this is the case. I generally eat two meals a day. Ketogenic breakfast, and dinner. I don't snack during the day, but the PM to PM fast is usually broken by breakfast so it shouldn't be to hard on the adrenal system?

The weird thing is that the irritability comes on quick after having collagen, and then I am back to normal within an hour. Apart from that I'm pretty happy!

carlaiau.com

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014

@Carl...i'm not suggesting that you try this, but have you ever supplemented with 100% glycine (powder/capsules)...?

i mention this because glycine makes up the largest % of collagen powder.

i supplemented with glycine powder a while back (cannot recall what prompted this now), & looking back at my notes, i noted that the glycine may be giving me an 'edgy feeling'. after a few tests with the glycine powder i stopped using it. But having said that, i have no problems with collagen, either great lakes collagen hydrolysate or doctor's best collagen types 1&3.

fake it till you make it

• edited December 2014

@Carl...i'm not suggesting that you try this, but have you ever supplemented with 100% glycine (powder/capsules)...?

i mention this because glycine makes up the largest % of collagen powder.

i supplemented with glycine powder a while back (cannot recall what prompted this now), & looking back at my notes, i noted that the glycine may be giving me an 'edgy feeling'. after a few tests with the glycine powder i stopped using it. But having said that, i have no problems with collagen, either great lakes collagen hydrolysate or doctor's best collagen types 1&3.

Interesting, could be something to look at. Thanks

It's the timing of the moodiness straight after collagen which has me thinking it is the culprit but I could look into is asymptomatic dairy intolerance from casein/lactose.

I'm dairy free apart from Raw Milk, which I get from time to time from a local farm.

The cows are Jerseys and the milk has a pretty high fat concentration.

I hit it pretty hard some days, like 1 - 2Litres, so even if I'm not dairy intolerant my stomach may have trouble digesting so much of it.

carlaiau.com

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

but collagen doesn't come from dairy

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• but collagen doesn't come from dairy

Correct, but I have introduced raw dairy recently too.

I haven't heard of anyone having collagen 'intolerance', but it is possible to get similar symptoms to what I'm feeling from a dairy intolerance. 

That been stated I've had raw milk over last couple of days, and haven't had any symptoms.

Just trying to find potential causes.

carlaiau.com

• hybridhybrid Cateye vs Isolation

What about maca, I had to quit it long ago. It took me a while to figure out that it was teh culprit.

• 5-htp puts me in a bad mood later in the day, like angry aggressive bad. Same with Creatine and garlic. Never had an issue with the collagen tho.
  • How are you going with cycling things out? Have you found the culprit? I was taking some GABA and Alpha a while back and it caused some crazy anxiety, frustration and depression. It took a while for it to get out of my system as well. Because of it I ended up having to switch to decaf coffee. Months down the track I am back to my normal self but have decided to stick to the bp decaf coffee anyway, i feel i get better energy all day when I don't have coffee. sometimes if i need i take a smart caffine. Hope this helps or that you have already sorted it out :)

• I just stumbled across this, and I do not know if anyone is still looking here. The culprit in collagen is free glutamic acid. Certain people are sensitive to it. The more hydrolyzed the collagen is, the shorter the chains of glutamic acid the more it will act like the stimulating neurotransmitter glutamate. I am having a problem with many foods with glutamate and histamine. Sometimes this problem can be fixed with other supplements. I am looking into certain minerals and vitamins that can help metabolize and transport free glutamic acid and histamine away from nerves. If that fails, I am going to try the SSRI zoloft which might desensitize me to these foods after a few months of use.