Increased Hunger On Bp Diet

For about two weeks I've been eating a low carb, high fat diet.  I am MORE hungry.  I work out most mornings around 6 am and drink a BP coffee around 7:30 am.  I'm so hungry after finishing the coffee and it also makes me burp. . . gross!).  Then I have a protein shake with almond butter, protein powder and almond milk and some spinach around 8 am.  I am so hungry by 11 that I usually have lunch.  This continues all day.  I feel like I need to eat every 2-3 hours.  It's not habit, because when I was eating more carbs and fiber in the AM I could go till 1 without lunch.  It's also not cravings. . . I don't really want anything. . . I'm just hungry!  

Anyhow, I'm athletic and don't need to lose weight, so not sure how to best curb this hunger.   Everything I'm reading in the book indicates that the higher fat content should be extremely satiating, but that's not really what I'm finding. . .  

Any ideas appreciated!  Thanks!

Alisha

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

if you work out every day which is not bulletproof you have to make adjustments to the bulletproof diet. look at how much to eat in my signature.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• How much butter and MCT Oil are you using in your coffee? The burping may be from drinking it too quickly, or your body not being used to breaking down larger amounts of fat. Slow down how fast you drink the coffee ;)  One recommendation that Jason Miller has suggested for newcomers to the diet, is to use ox bile, to assist with breaking down the fats :)

Could you do a full breakdown on what you eat from the beginning of the day (exact amounts), till the end of the day? This nutrition plan is all about eating a lot of fat, which will curb the hunger. :)

• Provide your stats, your previous eating habits, what kind of work out(s) and then  helpful answer may come.

• For about two weeks I've been eating a low carb, high fat diet.  I am MORE hungry.  I work out most mornings around 6 am and drink a BP coffee around 7:30 am.  I'm so hungry after finishing the coffee and it also makes me burp. . . gross!).  Then I have a protein shake with almond butter, protein powder and almond milk and some spinach around 8 am.  I am so hungry by 11 that I usually have lunch.  This continues all day.  I feel like I need to eat every 2-3 hours.  It's not habit, because when I was eating more carbs and fiber in the AM I could go till 1 without lunch.  It's also not cravings. . . I don't really want anything. . . I'm just hungry!  

Anyhow, I'm athletic and don't need to lose weight, so not sure how to best curb this hunger.   Everything I'm reading in the book indicates that the higher fat content should be extremely satiating, but that's not really what I'm finding. . .  

Any ideas appreciated!  Thanks!

Alisha

What's your vegetable intake like? Also, Almond Milk and too much almond butter isn't ideal... especially if you're using the flavored commerical kind with a bunch of preservatives. Those not only throw off your omega 3:6 ratio, but if they're sweetened, carbs are sneaking in there causing insulin to spike and signaling your hunger hormones. Try full fat coconut milk.

Agree with DMan above. If you're working out every day... and it's that early in the morning, you need to adjust things. You didn't mention what type of exercise you're doing.

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Thanks for the replies everyone!

So, I'll get specific.  I'm 36 years old.  5'6'' and about 125 pounds.  I do a "crossfit type" (heavy weights high intensity cardio) work out 4 days a week at 6 AM . . . I also do intense stretching once a week (10am), yoga once a week (7am) and a "circus ariel" class (8pm) once a week. I am a certified personal trainer, work part time, but when I'm not working I'm chasing after my 3 young children.  So, my lifestyle is quite active.

Currently, my new "BP" diet looks like this

- 7am - approx 1 cup BP coffee with 2 TBSP Kerrygold butter and 1 TBSP MCT oil

-8am - protein shake with 2 scoops JJ Virgins All in one shake with 1 cup almond or coconut milk, 1 TBSP almond butter, handful of spinach

- 10 am - handful cashews bc i'm HUNGRY!

-12pm - spinach salad. . . with leftover meat from night before. . . perhaps a chicken thigh. .. . and olive oil and vinegar

- 2 pm - handful of cashews or more bc im HUNGRY again!

- 3 PM - apple and more cashews. . . perhaps a pint of rasberries

- 6:30 pm - salmon, brussel sprouts

Previously, the only differences were that instead of BP coffee I had 

- 7am latte (with about 3/4 cup 1% milk)

and Breakfast was

- 8am usually Ezekiel bread with almond butter and 1/2 an apple cut on it.  Then I'd eat the other half of the apple.  If I was hungrier, I'd have 1/2 cup oatmeal with peanut butter and 1 cup of blueberries.  At this point I wasn't necessarily watching my diet so I probably also ate bits and pieces of junk my kids left around.

I'd still have handfuls of cashews when hungry, but also have whatever fruit is around. . .  and for dinner I used to have about 1/2 cup of rice or some sort of carb with dinner.   

The "issue" I am primarily trying to address with the BP diet is cravings after dinner and late night snacking.  The cravings after dinner have mitigated a bit I suppose, but I feel it's willpower based.  I get super hungry before bed and just go to sleep instead of eating nuts and chocolate chips like I used to.  

I'm mostly confused because I'm trying to stop eating all the time!  Today I tried smoked salmon and avocados for lunch.  and I had 1/2 an avocado and just a few small pieces of salmon and was SO full!  But then very hungry about 2 hours later.  So I made a "soup" from the BP Diet book. .. with a bunch of kale and 3 TBSP butter and MCT oil etc.  I had about 1/2 of the batch I made and it was SOOO filling.  And that actually did it for me.  Hunger didn't really return after the soup.  I'm just not sure what the element is for me.  . . . . is it the fiber i'm missing??  am I too low on fats??

Again thank you for any advice!!

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited December 2014

Your workout duration and frequency is not anywhere near standard for Bulletproof, so you will need to modify the standard Bulletproof diet quite a bit. With carbs. Plenty of them. Jason Miller has an excellent template for how make these modifications in a calculated way here. If you eat the carbs in the post-workout window and in the evening, and perhaps even immediately pre-workout, they should only be helpful. 

This involves more counting (macros, not necessarily calories) than the standard BP diet, but again, your activity level is not standard. I believe you will see strength, energy, and perhaps body composition benefits if you get it right. 

The reason is that your workouts are sure to deplete glycogen (stored sugar energy,) which must be replenished. Currently, your cravings are your body asking you to replenish glycogen. If you persist with your current diet and exercise and do not give in to your cravings, you likely would see negative health consequences, first as energy and workout performance issues, followed by adrenal fatigue, followed by low mucous production which can lead to gut permeability and new food allergies. 

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    All the cashews Contain Quite a bit of carbs. This and all the fruits will Not let you diverse into ketosis... The bulletproof soups Contain lots of fat and Little carbs. If you want to Loose weight that's the was to go. But again you will have to modify the diet for your workout Routine.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training