Matcha Green Tea's

I have a question regarding purity/quality/overall health benefits of the various Matcha Green Teas out there.

Chinese vs Japanese    Ceremony vs Kitchen grades

How much health/nutritional benefit is lost or gained between the various tea's on the market!!!??

I am leery of most things from China but is their tea an exception??

Any advice or experience is welcomed

Thanks

Ducks

Comments

• I'd like to know the best you can get for the cheapest price

• Which ones do you like? I like Sencha too.... there is an organic matcha for 9.63 for 24 servings... have you tried it?

• I am looking to nutrition comparisions. 

Is it even know the differences between the best down the the average matcha's??

D

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited December 2014

I don't have the info, but the BP priorities are:

1) macronutrients: fat, protein, carbs (not really applicable to tea)

2) antinutrients: lectins, phytates, oaxalates, mold toxins (mold toxins and and unlisted 5th and 6th, pesticides and heavy metals / industrial pollutants are probably most applicable here, since the later are a problem in China)

3) micronutrients: all the good stuff teas have

So, I would focus any research first on finding a "clean" tea, not fermented, grown in an area without heavy industry or industrial farming, and then do research on mold toxins by tea type. Then cross reference with micronutrient profiles, followed by desired flavors.

Caffeine does somewhat inhibit mold growth in the plant, so for non-fermented teas higher caffeine varieties are probably better. If I was a tea enthusiast (I'm not) who was not sensitive to mold (I don't think I am) I would be happy to settle for a caffeinated, non-fermented tea that was grown in a rural area, picked by hand, and selected as a higher-end product. Just like the same farm/harvest can produce extra-virgin olive oil on the night of the first frost, and then after the first frost can produce not-extra-virgin olive oil, I'd look for a tea that claimed to be selected as the best of a given harvest/farm. My logic is that if they're selecting the best leaves from the best tea plants for your batch, they're likely to be saving the moldy/crappy leaves for less-than-high-end batches. It's also a fair bet that higher altitudes, which inhibit mold growth on coffee, might also do the same for tea. I would test it using the Food Sense app, or just by comparing my performance after a few days without tea. 

"teafan" seems to have found some issues with mycotoxins in teas over in this thread, so you might hop in there and ask what he found. 

• My 2 cents:

Go Matcha, go Japanese and find something pretty decent and shell out the extra bucks as it's pretty expensive anyway. -- Breakway if you can afford it, but I go with Rishi at times as It's a pretty good quality product. You can tell the quality of a matcha on it's color... it should be almost neon.