Question About Dave's Latest Podcast With Dr. Grace Liu

While it's clear that Dr. Liu is super knowledgeable and really knows her stuff?  Did anyone else out there feel like it was a little hard to follow her at times?  And that at many times she had trouble answering the questions Dave was asking and instead would go off on some tangents?

I also had a hard time isolating take away points... here are some that I think I came away with (please correct me if i'm wrong)

- Benefits of potato starch are now not entirely clear... because it depends on what your individual gut biome is.

- Testing is important to find out what you have, in order to best figure out how to treat it.

- Resistant starch should be taken with something like metamucil to make sure it makes it down to the colon

- Inulin is very good, and some foods that contain it or onions, garlic (dave doesn't like garlic), and something called sunchips?  sunchokes?  I couldn't quite get it.  And then chicory.

- Dave has his regimen which includes, Prescript Assist, Garden of Life, AOR Probiotic 3, and Align GI Probiotic... though I'm not sure what resistant starch he uses

- Dave also present some research showing that collagen is good for gut bacteria...

Can anyone else out there help me with this stuff?

What do you think are the best sources of inulin?  Anyway I can just take it in a pill?   Or should I be downing sunchips....

thanks

Check out my blogs 

www.bjjcaveman.com

www.theketorash.com

Comments

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

Hey buddy, Sunchokes! (Think artichokes). Other sources to a lesser extend that I use are chives, green onion and sweetleaf stevia (added inulin (from chicory?))

You can also supplement but food sourced nutrients are usually preferable to pill sourced.

Grace seems to be exploring the borderlands between genius and insanity, but that's what I love about her.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• I also noticed that she looks very healthy.

I also noticed that she looks very healthy.

Yeah she's a cutie

Guitarist:

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014

While it's clear that Dr. Liu is super knowledgeable and really knows her stuff?  Did anyone else out there feel like it was a little hard to follow her at times?  And that at many times she had trouble answering the questions Dave was asking and instead would go off on some tangents?

I also had a hard time isolating take away points... here are some that I think I came away with (please correct me if i'm wrong)

- Benefits of potato starch are now not entirely clear... because it depends on what your individual gut biome is.

- Testing is important to find out what you have, in order to best figure out how to treat it.

- Resistant starch should be taken with something like metamucil to make sure it makes it down to the colon

- Inulin is very good, and some foods that contain it or onions, garlic (dave doesn't like garlic), and something called sunchips?  sunchokes?  I couldn't quite get it.  And then chicory.

- Dave has his regimen which includes, Prescript Assist, Garden of Life, AOR Probiotic 3, and Align GI Probiotic... though I'm not sure what resistant starch he uses

- Dave also present some research showing that collagen is good for gut bacteria...

Can anyone else out there help me with this stuff?

What do you think are the best sources of inulin?  Anyway I can just take it in a pill?   Or should I be downing sunchips....

thanks

Occasional ingestion of inulin is healthy, but when you started eating it on a daily basis you are on a one way train to SIBO town. At least that she admitted it depends on the individual gut microbiome which is some truth.

Allign really? I believe Dave is getting payed through corporate sponsorships ;-).

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Occasional ingestion of inulin is healthy, but when you started eating it on a daily basis you are on a one way train to SIBO town. At least that she admitted it depends on the individual gut microbiome which is some truth.

Allign really? I believe Dave is getting payed through corporate sponsorships :wink:.

What's wrong with Align?

Check out my blogs 

www.bjjcaveman.com

www.theketorash.com

What's wrong with Align?

Other ingredient listing.

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

• Other ingredient listing.

microcrystalline cellulose, hypromellose, sucrose, magnesium stearate, sodium caseinate, titanium dioxide, trisodium citrate dihydrate, propyl gallate (antioxidant preservative), 
    Contains: Milk 

• resistance starch is best taken with any fibre it acts as a carrier I put in my veggie smoothies seems to be working.

potato starch is great but it does feed most bacteria good or bad..so testing is a good idea...that said I haven't and have seen improvements in energy and mood with the addition of potato  and plantain starch

sunchokes they are the tubers of a sunflower like plant aka Jerusalem artichoke.. fantastic source of inulin also the chicory which is the root of radicchio (another wonderful leaf veg) the sunchokes are potatoesque I chop em up and add to veg smoothies aswell terrific results

garlic and onions are awesome too and if meditation or neurofeedback aren't a priority id recommend giving em a whirl.. alternating seems like a good choice to get positive results for both.

if you haven't check out animal pharm  Dr b's (grace) blog is fantastic nice multipart essay on resistance starch.. after reading her blog and the wealth of knowledge it explained(at least to me) why she talks the way she does lol.. so much to say and seems almost like shes on another level...or speed haha

I am going to be on Dr. Liu's podcast soon it was a honor, she is a great pioneer in natural health.

• SystemSystem mod
    edited February 2015

I am going to be on Dr. Liu's podcast soon it was a honor, she is a great pioneer in natural health.

You did great, John. I couldn't power through the interview, however, because Grace, with her random super high-pitched interjections, hurt my ears. Seriously. I had to turn up the volume so that I could hear your voice, but Grace's voice was way too loud and high-pitched for my sensitive hearing. I blame the sound engineer of the show and Grace. 

I hope to be able to listen to you on more podcasts, preferably not Grace's. Your interview on Not Just Paleo was very informative.

Podcasts with poor quality audio are bad news. They should have enlisted me to mix it. My biggest pet peeve is when they split the audio so one speaker is in the right channel only and the other in the left channel only just to be cute. Even Tim ferriss did this.

Guitarist:

• I just got a CSA box and lo and behold -- sunchokes!!

I have never even seen one before, and have no clue what to do with them.

1.  Are they BP?  (I haven't heard the podcast.)

2.  Must they be cooked?

3.  Will I inflate like a balloon?

4.  Any creative ideas/recipes on what to do with them?

Thank you!!

• OMG sunchokes!! All I know is that I made them once in my pre-BP days (in a dish called "Chicken Jerusalem") and it was SO delicious... I had visions of my new future where I ate sunchokes all the time, and introduced others to sunchokes.... But then, the gas kicked in. I didn't know why but I soon figured out it was something in that dish. Sure enough, a quick google of the words "fart" and "sunchoke" spelled it out for me - tons of tales of woe there. Whatever you do, I'd be careful and go slow. 

• Good to know, MMJ…  That's kind of unfortunate.  Are they more fiber-filled than say, potatoes or parsnips or other roots?

Balls...

• I don't know! Also - maybe you will digest them better than I did? They were pretty yummy so I hope you can. Someone should be enjoying those.