Malaria Prevention In Thailand - Necessary?

Hi all,

I am going to Thailand in February for 2 weeks. 

Western medicine suggests I need to take malaria tablets before and during my trip. 

Not only are they expensive there are several side effects that don't seem all that pleasant, plus I doubt they're going to do my gut lining any favours.

Does anyone have any experience with these, alternatives, are they even necessary in somewhere like thailand? 

Thanks!

Comments

• Isildur1Isildur1
    edited December 2014

Im gonna be honest man, i've had 23 friends go to thailand and none of them got malaria, I was in south east asia for 12 weeks and didn't get malaria, i wouldn't be too concerned about catching it, just wear long sleved t-shirts when you are in the country side. When you are in industrial towns the chance of getting it is 0. Ive had friends take malaria pills who have vomitted instantly . In my opinion don't bother with it 

Watch my Stand Up Comedy Video online :)

Please Subscribe to my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQI92eERrCc

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    I spent 2 weeks on Phuket and Phi Phi islands and didn't take any malaria medicine.
  • NickatNickat
    edited December 2014

Plenty of vitamin B1 might help keep dem pesky mosquito bites away. re:http://www.livestrong.com/article/440865-vitamin-b1-as-a-mosquito-repellent/

• I've lived in Thailand for over a year in aggregate (multiple trips) and spent more than 4 years in total in South East Asia. Even more years in countries that are supposed to be viral and infectious according to western medicine. I have never been immunized since birth and have contracted zero infections, viruses, etc.

I'll leave the interpretations to you.

It is worth nothing though that I take care of my health and do other things with similar effects. And generally avoid unclean food etc. If you are similarly shrewd, you may find yourself doing just fine.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • I live in Thailand (total 12 years on and off) and spend a lot of time out in the sticks, I've never taken anti-malarials and don't have malaria. The areas with malaria prevalence amongst local population are well known (parts of Kanchanaburi, some areas of Kaeng Krachan national park, must be many others), they tend to be heavily forested areas with bogs/swamps/wetlands - you can avoid these. Don't wear black clothing early morning and evenings if you're in an area with mosquitoes, try to sleep somewhere with a light breeze, from wind or a fan or aircon. Wear long sleeves and long trousers in the evening if cool enough. If you have body hair that helps a lot! I do and usually spry only hands and ankles with a 50% DEET solution, all the 'natural' mosquito repellents are useless. You can get 'anti-insect' compact fluorescent bulbs - basically a normal one with a yellow coating, I use these in my apartment instead of blue-blocking glasses and they are great for sleep and when used outside (my wife and I often sleep outside when out of Bangkok) they do work at not attracting insects including mosquitoes. The only locals Ive met who have malaria are in hill tribe groups living on lots in the national parks on the borders.

I got dengue once - but that was when living in Singapore, we lived in a house with a garden full of potted plants and with roof gutters.

Malaria should be well down your list of concerns when coming to Thailand IMHO

It's still a great place to live and visit despite recent troubles, hope you have a fantastic holiday!