Green Zone Changes

Can't thank you enough for all this information! The only trouble I'm having is understanding a few of the changes in green zone veggies from the old version to the new. What's the verdict on cooked kale, spinach, etc vs. raw? What of Swiss chard? Lastly, some of the recipes in the cookbook contain not-so-green-zone items like oranges and sesame oil. Are the amounts used in the recipes small enough to not make a difference, or would you take this opportunity to update the ingredient list a bit? Thanks again, I've been doing BP intermittent fasting for a few weeks now with great results mentally and physically!

Comments

• RodRod The Rodfather
    Hey,

From what I understand, Kale and Spinach need to be lightly heated to make it bio-available. I'm sure leafy greens such as Swiss Chard should be ok from what I understand (don't take it for gold).

I too don't understand about the use of not green zone items but I think it's hard to make anything with some of the stuff. My question is where can I find the reduced/no mycotoxin items.

Let me know if you find out any info...

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• 'Rod' wrote:

My question is where can I find the reduced/no mycotoxin items.

Excellent question! Remember before Upgraded Self rolled out the Bulletproof Coffee? People had to research all these coffee distributes and find out the processing method and so forth. It is the same for spices. They are often high bennifit/high risk foods too. The 2010 MDPI Journal reported research from the Mayo Clinic in 2001 showing a ninety-five percent contamination rate of turmeric from fungal agents producing the mycotoxins ochratoxin

A, zearalenone, aflatoxins and sterigmatocystin. For many people, the benifits outweigh the negative effects of the mycotoxins, but not for all of us. People who are more sensitive to mycotoxins may want to avoid all spices. Until someone rolls out with "Upgraded Tumeric" we are stuck with contamination.
  • Jason HooperJason Hooper ✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    'Jason wrote:

is that fresh or dried turmeric that was contaminated?

This study is not specific. It states that one hundred and twenty-six samples were tested. The samples were domestic and abroad, yet there were no significant data to prove that one was better than the other. Black pepper, coriander, and ginger were also examined and were shown to have high levels of mold contamination as well.

I just cross referenced this study with another study from PubMed that only looked at turmeric in powder form. This study was done by the Food Addit Contam. on 20 April, 2003. It showed that all of the samples were contaminated with a range of 11-102 microg/kg of ochratoxin.

I have concluded that while we can do intelligent things to mitigate the effects of mold and their byproducts from our lives, the energy that we use to stress out about them may surpass their damaging effects. Mold is Ubiquitous. Just do smart things, try to eat foods on the green side, and if you get some contamination, relax! Trying to reach perfection on the Bulletproof plan is not the intended design. We are supposed to use the diet to make better choices with our foods to optimize performance. If you are extremely serious about your bio-hacking, exclude a substance from your diet for a substantial period of time, then add it back in and compare the result. Otherwise, just keep using the information provided to improve your health.
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    @ JasonHooper

Thank you very much for the information. I understand that we need to gauge it based on our sensitivity and so on. I would then ask, what if we planted our own spices and turmeric root etc...?Fresh food that would be frozen or properly dehydrated could be then converted for our cooking etc. I think we need a gardening section. lol

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• 'Rod' wrote:

@ JasonHooper

Thank you very much for the information. I understand that we need to gauge it based on our sensitivity and so on. I would then ask, what if we planted our own spices and turmeric root etc...?Fresh food that would be frozen or properly dehydrated could be then converted for our cooking etc. I think we need a gardening section. lol

You joke, but I can see how people might head down this path and rid themselves of all electromagnetic fields, grow all their own food, strive to be 100% Bulletproof. The amount of effort that it would take will probably be more than the gains received. For me, the Bulletproof lifestyle saves me time and gives me more energy. That would quickly go away if it turned into obsession. We must strive to find balance.
  • @ Rod

I would love a gardening section in this forum! Organic gardening/farming is one of my passions! Not only does it help to keep your produce bulletproof, it also takes you on the road to self sufficiency. And yes, I'm working under the logic that if I grow my crops with the utmost care and they go from field to plate with as little handling and storage as possible, that it will have the lowest amount of mycotoxins possible. Makes sense to me!
  • RodRod The Rodfather

You joke, but I can see how people might head down this path and rid themselves of all electromagnetic fields, grow all their own food, strive to be 100% Bulletproof. The amount of effort that it would take will probably be more than the gains received. For me, the Bulletproof lifestyle saves me time and gives me more energy. That would quickly go away if it turned into obsession. We must strive to find balance.

Hi Jason,

No, I'm not joking at all, I am well on my way to do things like reduce EMF exposure by installing filters and changing to LED bulbs etc. Shielding my house is a bit extensive but we all have a threshold for balance. I agree going to the Nth degree would only waste time but I will always proceed till I would hit the diminishing margin of return. I think we can find ways to innovate ways to conveniently create things that we want, might take some brain hacking but eventually well get there. image/icon_razz.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':-P' />

@upperbobby, sup!

I need to soak everything in as I am fairly new, then I would be down to put together something for everyone. I will of coarse share anything I do in the mean time! image/icon_e_ugeek.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ugeek:' />