Hair Loss And Receding Hairline - Youthful Looks

What are some supplements that reduce hairlines? Which are some that prevent it?

I recently found out that too much Vitamin A (I had been taking 10,000 IU/day) causes receding hairline. Is there a way to measure/track the receding with a doctor besides using a ruler yourself.

A receding hairline mades you look less youthful, and brings up insecurities and men and women especially.

Comments

• I know a lot of you baldies and egg heads have this problem. I don't wanna be that way!!! LOL

Please responds
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    edited November 2012
    I'm in the same boat, I need some crazy hair hack right now!

I found this from Podcast 7

And there’s a neat trick, the shampoo is called Nizoral, you can buy it online or it’s a prescription antidandruff shampoo. It turns out that has a pretty neat positive effect on preventing baldness in several different cases that I’ve read. I used it for awhile in my late twenties but to be honest I don’t do anything to my hair and it stays in on this diet and I believe because the diet just increases overall general health.

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• edited December 2012
    To halt or at the very least slow down hair loss, you need to inhibit the production of DHT. This is of the utmost importance. I think Dave Asprey mentioned in a podcast that he was skeptical as to whether or not inhibiting DHT works, but I can attest to the fact that it does work. From my experience, I would say that dealing with your body's hormones is the way to go, even if you have the genetic predisposition to male pattern baldness you are not hopeless. The earlier you deal with the problem, the better off you are because DHT will shrink and destroy your hair follicles over time.

Saw palmetto works and I've begun to experiment with Nettle Root too. I haven't tried Pygeum but that is often recommended. I don't recommend prostate formulas that include all three, just experiment with them separately.

Black tea (and caffeine) has also been known to inhibit DHT and seems to help. You want to the emphasize the prevention of hair loss first, and then promotion of hair growth second. Vitamins (and I believe minerals) and Rosemary increase hair growth. Coconut oil has been linked to hair health and I want to say that krill oil and kelp powder are good too but I cannot conclusively say so yet.

I also use a little bit of polysorbate 80 with shampoo to clean up my scalp and prevent the build-up of DHT there but I have only begun this recently so I cannot comment too much on it's p80's effectiveness. With hair products, use alcohol-free products only. Silica gel is the best volumizer I have ever used. However, it can lighten the colour of your hair while it's in, and using it too much can cause thinning. An alcohol-free volumizing gel can be effective in making hair look fuller without any adverse effects.

Saw palmetto and many DHT-inhibitors (including products like Propecia) have been linked to a temporary loss in sex drive. I can say that this is true based on my experience, but I don't take saw palmetto everyday so I've never really had much of a problem. To combat that if needed, I recommend fish/krill oil and eating beans; I know beans are not bulletproof but it works for sex dive based on my experience. That's rather ironic because I typically find that foods or supplements that increase sex drive tend to cause hair loss but beans have never done so for me.

Things to avoid, based on my experience:

- Alcohol (incredibly bad)

- Green Tea (sure it's healthy but it spikes your DHT levels and increases hair loss contrary to popular belief)

- Dandelion Root Tea (temporary thinning)

- Fennel Tea (temporary thinning)

- Gingko Biloba (made my hair very thin and weak, not sure why)

- Too much vitamins (even if they are working, do not overdose or they will negatively affect your hair. I recommend mixing things up and not taking multivitamins)

- Flax and probably oils that oxidize easily and are high in omega-6.

- Too much sex seems to have a negative effect too.

- Estrogenic foods

- Antibiotics

I should mention too that I absolutely do not recommend consuming soy or estrogenic foods while inhibiting DHT as they can cause gyno. However, I believe zinc can combat estrogenic activity.

This works for me, hopefully this information is helpful. I have no idea if this would work with women though, my reply is directed towards men.
  • edited December 2012
    top 3 fundamental changes?

also I heard that DHT was more powerful than testosterone for making you manly and strong. Is that worth it? To go bald. Is there a balance?
  • edited December 2012
    I forgot to mention this earlier but I think if you are combating hair loss, it's ideal to have normal to high levels of testosterone and low levels of estrogen and DHT. I am by no means a qualified expert but based on my research and own experience I have reason to believe that higher estrogen levels plays a huge role too, not just DHT. The average male who eats a western diet consumes a very high amount of estrogen, and I do not recommend this at all for hair or general health reasons. I'm not trying to vilify DHT because it definitely has benefits like sex drive, muscle development, and performance but it likely plays a big part in hair loss so it depends on what you value more in your lifestyle. DHT is indeed more powerful than testosterone.

I think the main areas you should focus on are diet and more specifically, hormones (which is definitely influenced by diet).

I have also recently heard that hyperinsulinism can play a huge part but I have yet to really research the matter.
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    Hey Aghast, I'm trying to absorb all that additional info, thank you for that! I think I need to just get a hormone panel done and see what's up with it.

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• edited December 2012
    Like I said, I'm no expert, but since I've begun this regimen I've been able to effectively combat hair loss. Sometimes I do have bad days, but I am able to rebound well so something I am doing is working. I am planning on completely removing all wheat and grains from my diet and I wonder how this will effect hair loss long-term.
  • Try shaving it. Ill never go back to hair again image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful
    'Pierre wrote:

Try shaving it. Ill never go back to hair again image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Now there is someone that decided to OWN their IMAGE!! Rock on, Pierre!

No sorcery, just science. 

• what are some foods to avoid for producing estrogen and dht?

look at the presidential candidates, they are not bald, no offense. If you want to have mass appeal..

What are the top 3 changes for preventing hair loss. Simplify to applicable steps.
  • edited December 2012
    I would mostly avoid foods like hormone-treated beef and soy (for estrogen reasons) as well as beverages like green tea and alcohol (for DHT reasons). Actually, I think the bulletproof diet seems to be pretty hair-friendly. Zinc can inhibit aromatase which is the enzyme that converts testosterone into estrogen, but I think too much zinc can also be a bad thing too so I wouldn't over do it.

So I guess my top three tips would be:

1) research the foods in your diet, and check to see how they can affect hormones. Make sure you aren't consuming estrogenic foods and foods that will increase DHT production. If I remember correctly, the link drawing DHT to hair loss was discovered through treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. While reducing high DHT levels in men, a side effect was that hair loss was halted in many cases and the quality of hair was improved.

Although, I recently checked out Robb Wolf's podcast and he had one where touched upon the issue and seemed to refute the idea that DHT was the primary cause of hair loss. It was interesting.. http://robbwolf.com/...ion-episode-36/

2) If you are losing your hair, you are probably pretty sensitive to knowing when your hair is doing good or when it's suffering. Take note of whatever foods, vitamins, minerals, supplements you think are having a positive or negative impact and then adjust your diet accordingly and see if it makes a difference.

3) With everything I have learned in the past couple of months, I am going to cut out all wheat and grains and see how this affects hair loss. I believe that cutting out wheat will improve health immensely and prevent undesireable effects like hair loss from happening. It seems plausible so it might be worth the try if you aren't already doing it.
  • 'Aaron wrote:

Thanks man image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Going bald is not a choice, being bald is.

Isn't collagen good for hair?

[email protected]
  • 'Aaron wrote:

Thanks man image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Going bald is not a choice, being bald is.

Isn't collagen good for hair?

[email protected]
  • It's hard to know which beef is hormone treated? I avoided chicken because it was much worse. What foods are there (meats) in mainstream society where theres no estrogen? Do you always have to cook grassfed beef at home for yourself?

What are practical and simplified solutions to this?Z

Are balding men more macho because they have more dht?
  • edited August 2013

Dave talks about preventing hair loss: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/podcast-transcript-7-low-carb-diets-with-adam-kosloff/13/

start with the question asked by the co-host at the bottom of the page and proceed from there.

• RodRod The Rodfather
    edited February 2013
    In the past two years, my hair and hair line have been getting destroyed, I believe I was over training which has a contribution but there has to be something else!!

• TJ JTJ J skratta pa klocka
    'Aghast' wrote:

- Too much sex seems to have a negative effect too.

Isn't that the point of keeping your hair in the first place?

• Try shaving it. Ill never go back to hair again ;)

Pierre,

You might be onto something. I read a story about a historian who was looking at a certain battle that occurred back in the days of the Roman Empire. One of the army's soldiers all shaved their heads. Their skulls were very easy to pick out from the archeological dig because their skulls were thicker. All that sun exposure. Is this the source of the expression about someone having a thick skull? ; )

• Interesting thoughts Aghast.

Ayurveda says: http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-08-16/beauty/30310291_1_hair-loss-use-coconut-oil-pitta

I lost my hair in my early twenties. I believe it was caused by three things.

1. Shampoo (Head and Shoulders) I do not use shampoo nowadays ever. I wash with water only. My sister is the same.

2. Excess drinking of pasteurized milk. It also caused prostate issues. I know because when I stopped drinking it my prostate problems cleared up somewhat. I now drink raw milk and do not have any of the issues I had with pasteurized.

3. When I had my motorcycle I had a full coverage Bell helmet. At that time, full coverage was a bit over the top PTP. It was then that I lost a lot of hair. I have no idea if that was a catalyst but it happened when I lost the hair.

My father in law started rubbing his fingernails together and everyone teased him about it, but he actually started to grow hair when he did it regularly. I have noticed the same thing. No idea why. This young fellow explains it:

• Here is a book by a girl that had alopecia. This is an actual infection, so I am not sure it is related to male-pattern-baldness. She cured it from what I gather with diet.

• pmrtnzpmrtnz Peter Martinez

Couple things that have given me back my luscious full head of hair.. 

1) Collagen.. I don't take Dave's stuff bc it's too expensive, but I take tons of hydrolyzed type 2 collagen to help strengthen my hair.

2) Not washing your hair so much as mentioned in the previous post ^ .. I found a great 'dry shampoo' with keratin. Instead of shampooing, you just rub it into your hair and it helps remove excess oil, so it gives you the clean effect without getting your hair wet (which damages your hair each time you do it!) 

• edited November 2013

To avoid hair loss take homeopathic treatment.Tension and stress is also a main factor in hair loss so everyday take meditation in the morning because its very useful in this case.Hair spa treatment is also helpful.  

• To avoid hair loss take homeopathic treatment.Tension and stress is also a main factor in hair loss so everyday take meditation in the morning because its very useful in this case.Hair spa treatment is also helpful.

==================

Homeopathy is quackery. Dilutions of "cures" as weak as one part per ten trillion? That's nonsense. Some "cures" don't even have traceable amounts of the original cure in it, but are proposed to contain the "vital force" of the cure.

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

• Using choline ( cdp choline is the form i prefer) has really reduced the amount of hair shedding for me. I would really recommend it.
  • How does the CDP Choline work to help with hair loss?

Using choline ( cdp choline is the form i prefer) has really reduced the amount of hair shedding for me. I would really recommend it.

• To halt or at the very least slow down hair loss, you need to inhibit the production of DHT. This is of the utmost importance. I think Dave Asprey mentioned in a podcast that he was skeptical as to whether or not inhibiting DHT works, but I can attest to the fact that it does work. From my experience, I would say that dealing with your body's hormones is the way to go, even if you have the genetic predisposition to male pattern baldness you are not hopeless. The earlier you deal with the problem, the better off you are because DHT will shrink and destroy your hair follicles over time.

Guys, be careful with this advice. The main drug that lowers DHT, propecia, has left a lot of men in a real mess. Many of them permanently.

You can read all about it on this site and in its forums: www.propeciasideeffects.com

DHT is not the root cause of hair loss. There are other more viable theories out there including oxidative stress - which fits with the comment that a healthy diet can help (and in particular lower intake of omega 6 EFAs).

Although I don't agree with everything in this book (http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Like-Fox-Bioenergetic-Pattern-ebook/dp/B00GYX6QXC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405088991&sr=8-1) it is a good place to start to get your head around it.

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Propecia is a horrible drug with life long hormonal altering effects.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man

Treating chickens with hormones is illegal in the US. Yet, all chicken brags about being hormone-free on the label. Beef you have to be careful because BHT & rBST are legal in cattle feed. It's more important to know what your animals were fed and whether on not that feed and living conditions are ideal for the animal's health.

It's hard to know which beef is hormone treated? I avoided chicken because it was much worse. What foods are there (meats) in mainstream society where theres no estrogen? Do you always have to cook grassfed beef at home for yourself?