Hair Loss And Receding Hairline - Youthful Looks

2»

Comments

• Have you checked-out Danny Roddy's "Hair Like a Fox" book?  He's a reputable guy, I think it's worth looking-at.

• edited July 2014
    The other supplements I take are MSM and biotin. Particularly biotin, I find is very useful for hair loss, in my experience.

I don't know why or how choline stops my hair from shedding, I just noticed that when I ate prawns my hair stopped coming out. I looked into it and found choline to be very high in prawns. I've always had very brittle fingernail cuticles, the skin around my nails were always torn to shreds. As soon as I started taking choline, my nails got in amazing health and my hair stopped shedding. Don't get me wrong, it still comes out but about 90 per cent less. Unfortunately my hair has been receeding since I was 16 and I'm 28 now. If only I found out about choline earlier!
  • ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Biotin brand, amount? A while ago when I took PAGG doing the slow carb diet, I bought it from a manufacturer that included biotin. I could have sworn I saw new hair growth around my hairline, which was unlikely to be placebo because at the time time I didn't know what biotin did at all. I've taken biotin on its own without replicating the results, and always wondered if the specific type of biotin used in the PAGG made the difference. 

The other supplements I take are MSM and biotin. Particularly biotin, I find is very useful for hair loss, in my experience.

• I use now foods biotin and find it works but don't take too much, it can give painful headaches. I also find it can make me a bit sleepy so I take it at night
  • John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

When I worked at the VS I used to recommend biotin to women with brittle hair. I suggest 5 mg to 10 mg daily BUT take it with a b complex. Thorne and Jarrow are both good.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• I was intrigued by Danny Roddy's book but don't have time to read it all. Here's a summary I found online. What do you all think about the orange juice?

1) Theory - Hair loss is much more complicated than the mainstream would suggest. Drugs like Propecia and Rogaine have poor success rates and life-altering side effects. Optimizing thyroid function (metabolism) and decreasing the stress hormones, serotonin, estrogen, prolactin, aldosterone, cortisol, and adrenaline should significantly slow down or stop hair loss.

2) Raw Carrot a day - acts as a natural antibiotic, decreases serotonin, estrogen, cortisol, and endotoxin.

3) Calcium - In the form of dairy, calcium can be utilized to increase metabolism and decrease numerous hormones and inflammatory triggers associated with male pattern baldness.

4) Saturated fats - Opting for butter, coconut oil, and animal fats will go along way in restraining stress and reversing hair loss. Oils made from fish, vegetables, and seeds can all be considered "anti-hair" and pro-inflammatory.

5) Protein - Protein is integral for structural repair as well as assuring proper estrogen detoxification. Gelatin is the best source of protein, due to it's lack of tryptophan (serotonin precursor). Oxtail, bone broth, and supplemental gelatin from Great Lakes Gelatin can be utilized.

6) Sugar - Sugar is needed in large amounts to support the metabolism. Using "fat as fuel" is suppresses the metabolism and the liver's ability to store and utilized glycogen. Fresh orange juice and even white sugar in the form of simple syrup can aid in increasing body temperature, pulse, mood, and vasculature.

7) Salt - Similar to sugar, salt can increase pulse and body temperature. Insomnia, anxiety, and blood sugar handling issues can also be aided by additional salt intake.

8) Iron - A perfect diet means nothing in the face of elevated ferritin (stored iron). Get your serum ferritin tested and discuss treatment with your physician.

9) Vitamin E - Vitamin E can be depleted by a diet high in polyunsaturated fats as well as high iron. Vitamin E depletion leads to increased levels of estrogen (anti-hair) and decreased levels of progesterone (pro-hair).

10) Caffeine - In the form of coffee, caffeine can be utilized to increase the metabolism as well as provide significant amounts of B1 and magnesium.

11) Overview - All of these steps are in order to maximize the efficiency of the thyroid. Malnutrition leads to a decrease metabolism and a rise in anti-hair hormones.

• http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3746236/

See the above study. Obviously minoxidil helps hair growth by increasing blood flow and other things but what really improved hair recovery had to do with the use of micro needling.

What micro needling the scalp did was improve the overall health of the skin - probably made it a bit more plump and could even have reduced calcium build up in the scalp.

The most compelling theory I've come across for hair loss are the ones that point the difference in skin/scalp between spots with hair and bald spots. The balding spots are tougher and not as pliable.

Not only has micro needling these areas helped with hair but so have scalp massages.
    edited July 2014

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3746236/

See the above study. Obviously minoxidil helps hair growth by increasing blood flow and other things but what really improved hair recovery had to do with the use of micro needling.

What micro needling the scalp did was improve the overall health of the skin - probably made it a bit more plump and could even have reduced calcium build up in the scalp.

The most compelling theory I've come across for hair loss are the ones that point the difference in skin/scalp between spots with hair and bald spots. The balding spots are tougher and not as pliable.

Not only has micro needling these areas helped with hair but so have scalp massages.

Minoxidil, was a vasodilator blood pressure medicine first so it makes since. Men and women were both growing hair that used it. Some women got full beards, haha. My grandpa was a pharmacist, he told me stories about people coming into Revco asking if it was a side effect.

He said that some people would loose hair as well. They would show up to the pharmacy with clumps missing, some would even shed.

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

• Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man

What about STOPPING back hair?!? And ear, nose, etc.  :oops:

What about STOPPING back hair?!? And ear, nose, etc.  :oops:

Robin Williams hairy?

• Minoxidil, was a vasodilator blood pressure medicine first so it makes since. Men and women were both growing hair that used it. Some women got full beards, haha. My grandpa was a pharmacist, he told me stories about people coming into Revco asking if it was a side effect.

He said that some people would loose hair as well. They would show up to the pharmacy with clumps missing, some would even shed.

===

Yeah - and looking around it seems that minoxidil has some side effects but not as pronounced as propecia.

I think the microneedling and massage approaches appear promising if the underlying problem has to do with the skin and not necessarily all related to DHT.

But I'm married and already have kids - so it's all a moot point for me :)
  • Danno RedDanno Red Practical Man

Robin Williams hairy?

No! Very light, whispy but browner than my head hair...and just a patch on each of my lats...~4"x8". I call them my wings when I ask my wife to shave them.

• Has anyone had any success on the Danny roddy / ray peat diet?
  • I had been taking Saw Palmetto. I am glad I saw this post. Here is an article that says you may want DHT.  I have seen this guy before. Ben Greenfield takes some of his supplments

http://www.mikemahler.com/online-library/articles/hormone-optimization/dihydrotestosterone-king-of-male-androgens.html

• Couple things that have given me back my luscious full head of hair.. 

1) Collagen.. I don't take Dave's stuff bc it's too expensive, but I take tons of hydrolyzed type 2 collagen to help strengthen my hair.

2) Not washing your hair so much as mentioned in the previous post ^ .. I found a great 'dry shampoo' with keratin. Instead of shampooing, you just rub it into your hair and it helps remove excess oil, so it gives you the clean effect without getting your hair wet (which damages your hair each time you do it!) 

You damage your hair each time you wet it?

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited September 2014

Saw palmetto and many DHT-inhibitors (including products like Propecia) have been linked to a temporary loss in sex drive. I can say that this is true based on my experience, but I don't take saw palmetto everyday so I've never really had much of a problem. To combat that if needed, I recommend fish/krill oil and eating beans; I know beans are not bulletproof but it works for sex dive based on my experience. That's rather ironic because I typically find that foods or supplements that increase sex drive tend to cause hair loss but beans have never done so for me.

I wonder if pumpkin seed oil also has similar 'problems' to saw palmetto.

From what i have read, pumpkin seed oil also blocks/inhibits DHT.

fake it till you make it

what about pumpkin seed oil applied to the scalp...?

pumpkin seed oil (pso) seems to be used for prostate health. 

I'm not sure if the mechanisms have been proven. But 'speculation' is that it both blocks/inhibits dht & blocks/inhibits aromatase. So it seems to differ from saw palmetto oil which i think is just a dht blocker.

So if blocking dht &/or aromatase on the scalp a)works & b)is beneficial in stopping/reversing hair loss, then maybe topical pso could help...?

two article/refs;

fake it till you make it

• pmrtnzpmrtnz Peter Martinez
    edited March 2015

I came across Danny Roddy (and Ray Peat) three days ago after revisiting this thread. I've had signs of male pattern hair loss over the last 5 years and it seems to have accelerated even though I've been following a strict BP diet. This always struck me as odd but I chalked it up to genetics. Danny disagrees.

It might just be me grasping for hope that I can still save my hair, but his ideas are incredibly well explained and cited. I've read his book (he will send you a free PDF of it if you subscribe to his newsletter) twice in the last couple of days, and I am going to give it a shot. I've seen people on other forums reporting near miraculous success with his ideas (plus he was losing his hair and currently looks like a Paul Mitchell advertisement), and they do make a great deal of sense given the goal that he presents (good mitochondrial respiration) and my limited understanding of the hormones he discusses.

I also read 70 or so pages of him defending his ideas with clear and articulate science on the Mark's Daily Apple forum. I was ready to dismiss him as Ray Peat's parrot / attack dog, but he seems to have a clear understanding of the mechanisms he discusses.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread59985-48.html

Would love to hear Dave discuss some of Danny / Ray's ideas, as Danny has openly disagreed with the BPD in a YouTube video (there's already a thread about it on here somewhere) he released late last year. Plus Dave follows him on Twitter so I know he knows who he is. :)

Has anyone had any success on the Danny roddy / ray peat diet?

• SIAP. There are many who tried it who say that a long water fast (at least 10 days) makes your hair softer and healthier and cures skin issues, including dandruff. 

edited March 2015
    @pmrtnz,

just a comment. my understanding is that Danny's hair loss was not mpb. I seem to recall him mentioning this before somewhere. not sure where now.

i could be mistaken on this tho. I thought his hair loss related to his lifestyle at the time.

(& I have never seen any photos or videos of Danny showing any hair loss).

that said, I'm not knocking his ideas, I do not have a view on it

fake it till you make it

• Check this out:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/10/151023174914.htm

Could we work out the natural compounds from that drug?
2»