Confusion And Overwhelm In Regard To Finding Information On Foods To Eat

edited November 2012 in General Discussion
Hi there,

I just found out about the bulletproof website, yesterday. Actually, my doctor told me to look it up! I have been a raw foodist for about 3 years, now. I used to be a vegetarian for 28 years, but then my former doctor said I had to make a decision about whom I wanted to survive - me or the animals. I chose me. I can only say that it was more than difficult to eat meat...I couldn't even touch it in the beginning. I was totally and thorougly disgusted. HOWEVER, my body wasn't! I felt a lot better after implementing meat. The only drawback was that I started to gain a lot of weight. I've always been rather lean and muscular, but after adding meat to my diet (only grassfed, organic meat, mind you) I actually got flab on my stomach, waist etc.! I had NEVER had that problem before, even after 2 pregnancies - I simply never gained weight around my waist. But back to my main reason to post here: I am trying to gather as much information as possible, as quickly as possible image/icon_e_wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wink:' />

My main issue is that I am trying to find out if I can keep some foods from my raw food diet that I really love. I saw that flax seed oil is considered "red" - but, does this only pertain to the oil or also to the flax seeds themselves? Are ALL seeds bad? I love chia seeds, for example, and am unsure about them as well. Is there an actual LIST of foods that makes it easier to find out what is permitted and what not? I looked at the PDF file of the "bulletproof diet on one page", but it really isn't very detailed in my opinion (and I like details image/icon_e_wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';-)' /> ).

On top of it, I eat a lot of nuts (germinated, which takes care of the phytic acid issue)...I'm not clear on the topic of nuts either, because I saw posts here that stated that nuts weren't good? Or is this only because of the phytic acid? I'm a bit confused about it all... I would really like to begin with the diet right away as it really speaks to me, but I don't feel that I have the time to read everything, listen to every pod cast, today image/icon_e_wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wink:' />.

Another question I have is about the butter. I actually get (grassfed) raw butter from the Amish, but I have absolutely no idea about the quality of it in regards to fungi....is there a great chance of them being present? I have no idea what their production practices and facilities are like, either.

I understand that none of you can answer that last question for sure without knowing how the raw butter is produced, but I'm just looking for general answers, or people who also use raw, grassfed butter and their experience.... Thanks already for your replies!

Comments

  • RodRod The Rodfather
    Welcome to the club,



    I will try to help answer some questions. Either the seeds/nuts will contain mycotoxins (by the time they get to you, get fresh in-shelled, raw if you choose to) and or will contain high amounts of polyunsaturated fats which will oxidize and render them useless. I know that this is the case for the flaxseed. In regards to the butter, Idk, all I know is that Dave recommends Kerry Golds which is stocked locally for me and a lot of others.

    Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    Check my summary for some ideas (see sig).



    Your butter is probably better than Kerrygold.



    My guess would be that germinating nuts is a breeding ground for mold (moist, etc).
  • RodRod The Rodfather


    My guess would be that germinating nuts is a breeding ground for mold (moist, etc).




    I assume it's molded to begin with but if you had something fresh, you could technically germinate it then immediately dehydrate it to prevent molding. There is a specific window, now you would have to test it out in a lab and all that to be exact but that's what I used to do. It just sucks because I dropped $300 on a dehydrator and now I basically can't use it lol, I gotta find a way!!

    Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    'Rod' wrote:


    I assume it's molded to begin with but if you had something fresh, you could technically germinate it then immediately dehydrate it to prevent molding. There is a specific window, now you would have to test it out in a lab and all that to be exact but that's what I used to do. It just sucks because I dropped $300 on a dehydrator and now I basically can't use it lol, I gotta find a way!!
    How about dehydrating beef jerky?
  • edited November 2012
    Thank you so much for responding to my post, Rod and Suntoucher! I appreciate your trying to best answer my questions and for sharing your opinions.



    THANK YOU, "Suntoucher", for allowing me to use your 'cheat sheet'! I really appreciate it image/icon_e_smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' />



    In regard to the flax seeds: I used to do nutritional counseling when I lived in Europe, and what I learned during my studies was that the issue of the oil in flaxseeds/ flax oil going rancid (oxidizing) only applies to either the extracted flax oil, or ground/ cracked open flax seeds. We were told that as long as the flax seed is intact and not exposed to high heat, the oil contained within the flax seed will stay stable for a long time. That's why I was wondering if whole flax seeds are truly a problem. I have to read and educate myself more about mycotoxins, though, as that really seems to be at the root of the reason why flax seeds shouldn't be consumed, from what I gather.



    I also wondered about sprouted grains....I'm German and I really like the bread that I make from sprouted flour (no phytic acid; grains will be digested as vegetables rather than grains according to the information I found over the years)....heck - bread is the number one food for us Germans! And strangely, many people in Germany live like that all their lives without getting fat. BUT ...Germans also eat a lot of fat meat, so maybe this is what balanced it out for most people. I wished I could still have my bread ;-( I guess, I'll allow myself a slice from time to time spread with loads of butter image/icon_e_smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' /> )



    Thanks again....
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    'Sunny66' wrote:


    I also wondered about sprouted grains....I'm German and I really like the bread that I make from sprouted flour (no phytic acid; grains will be digested as vegetables rather than grains according to the information I found over the years)....heck - bread is the number one food for us Germans! And strangely, many people in Germany live like that all their lives without getting fat. BUT ...Germans also eat a lot of fat meat, so maybe this is what balanced it out for most people. I wished I could still have my bread ;-( I guess, I'll allow myself a slice from time to time spread with loads of butter image/icon_e_smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' /> )
    It's a balance thing... you get strict on one end, you get some leeway on another. It's not going to be a big deal if you have your sprouted bread once in a while. Well, as long as you don't eat the damn pastries that are everywhere. I was in Berlin this year and my willpower drained fast on every corner, and I failed multiple times image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />



    At some point if you *love* X, then what kind of life quality you'll have if you don't have it, ever? Is it worth it? Not that easy to answer...
  • RodRod The Rodfather


    How about dehydrating beef jerky?




    I wish I could easily test for mycotoxins but my understanding is if you are quickly or rapidly dehydrating then the chance of mold is very low. Just have to make sure it's about 100% dry, now if we were to use some GSE and Vodka or other ways to keep it disinfected while it's drying then you should be bulletproof. My only issue is when dehydrating, you have to use high levels of heat, though it's not direct contact with flames, I'm not sure if that can produce any toxins. Share your thoughts please.

    Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

  • RodRod The Rodfather
    'Sunny66' wrote:


    Thank you so much for responding to my post, Rod and Suntoucher! I appreciate your trying to best answer my questions and for sharing your opinions.



    THANK YOU, "Suntoucher", for allowing me to use your 'cheat sheet'! I really appreciate it image/icon_e_smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' />



    In regard to the flax seeds: I used to do nutritional counseling when I lived in Europe, and what I learned during my studies was that the issue of the oil in flaxseeds/ flax oil going rancid (oxidizing) only applies to either the extracted flax oil, or ground/ cracked open flax seeds. We were told that as long as the flax seed is intact and not exposed to high heat, the oil contained within the flax seed will stay stable for a long time. That's why I was wondering if whole flax seeds are truly a problem. I have to read and educate myself more about mycotoxins, though, as that really seems to be at the root of the reason why flax seeds shouldn't be consumed, from what I gather.



    I also wondered about sprouted grains....I'm German and I really like the bread that I make from sprouted flour (no phytic acid; grains will be digested as vegetables rather than grains according to the information I found over the years)....heck - bread is the number one food for us Germans! And strangely, many people in Germany live like that all their lives without getting fat. BUT ...Germans also eat a lot of fat meat, so maybe this is what balanced it out for most people. I wished I could still have my bread ;-( I guess, I'll allow myself a slice from time to time spread with loads of butter image/icon_e_smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' /> )



    Thanks again....






    Hello, we are very happy to share what we know with you. You are correct about the flax seeds but with those variables then the question is "source!". Where, when, what, how,who, and why questions should be asked to make sure your getting fresh flax. May I ask, what the purpose of eating flax for you is? What nutritional benefit are you seeking personally? The same ideology will go for the beans regardless of sprouted or not, the source is usually corrupt.

    Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

  • Thanks again for all the answers image/icon_e_smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':-)' />

    @ Rod, I use flax a lot in raw food recipes. For example, I make a zucchini "bread" that uses flax seeds - it's a convenient substitute for bread (it is being dehydrated at 105 degrees until very dry). I also make all sorts of crackers with flax; usually, it's a mixture of different veggies plus the flax seeds which is being dehydrated as well. It really satisfies my desire for 'crunchiness'. I would honestly be pretty unhappy if I wouldn't be able to munch on (in my opinion ->) "healthy" substitutes for usual bread/ crackers. On the other hand, I really want to raise my metabolism to normal levels, again. It is usually very easy for me to discipline myself....but as Suntoucher brought up so correctly, the question is always how much life quality one has when being strict? I usually follow an 80/20 approach...80% on track, 20% leeway image/icon_e_wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';-)' />
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    'Sunny66' wrote:


    Thanks again for all the answers image/icon_e_smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' />

    @ Rod, I use flax a lot in raw food recipes. For example, I make a zucchini "bread" that uses flax seeds - it's a convenient substitute for bread (it is being dehydrated at 105 degrees until very dry). I also make all sorts of crackers with flax; usually, it's a mixture of different veggies plus the flax seeds which is being dehydrated as well. It really satisfies my desire for 'crunchiness'. I would honestly be pretty unhappy if I wouldn't be able to munch on (in my opinion ->) "healthy" substitutes for usual bread/ crackers. On the other hand, I really want to raise my metabolism to normal levels, again. It is usually very easy for me to discipline myself....but as Suntoucher brought up so correctly, the question is always how much life quality one has when being strict? I usually follow an 80/20 approach...80% on track, 20% leeway image/icon_e_wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wink:' />




    Ahhh I gotcha, well, I would say just learn as much as possible then you can really adjust your diet how you want! =) I'm sure you will reach your goals !!!

    Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

Sign In or Register to comment.