Nootropics Safe During What Age Range?

Dave just posted a research link on FB that discusses Modafinil's latency response time here: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0110639

In the post he wrote that you shouldn't be using Modafinil if you are 23 or younger because your pre-frontal cortex is not finished shaping itself. Now I have heard this claim a few times from Dave and other sources, and the ages are always different so I am uncertain of what to take into consideration.

Is there a definitive answer to what age nootropics such as the Racetams are viable for people to use? and does it differ when experimenting with a stronger drug such as Modafinil?

Appreciate the thoughts. All the best.

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Brain stops developing around age 25 in males, if I recall correctly. Something like age 19 or 20 in females. These are the ages I've seen reported most often.

I don't imagine that there are "definitive" guidelines for such drugs, especially when we consider that the mechanisms of action aren't even understood for all of them. Holding off until around age 25 seems prudent to me.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• I started taking Ritalin when I was like 8 and I turned out pretty ok, so...