Brain Octane Reacts With Certain Plastics

Saw that it says, on the back of my brain octane, that all edible oils, including brain octane react with certain plastics. I was wondering if it is safe to make my BPC in my magic bullet?

Tagged:

Comments

• Looked at an older bottle of brain octane i had and noticed it didnt have this warning

• I used a little plastic disposable cup to measure some out, then left the cup on my desk and forgot about it.  The residue in the cup sorta melted the plastic, but that took a week.  Seems like the short time that it's in a hard plastic container wouldn't be enough to cause harm, but I'm no expert.

• Fatty acids react with particular polymeric compounds. Plasticiser allows the polymer chains to effectively slide past one another to give the plastic its desired flexibility, and if I'm remembering correctly, I believe the fat interacts with the plasticiser and allows it to 'leach out' - contaminating your tasty fats with horrendous items like BPA, and ruining the integrity of your polymer.

It's been a few years since I studied all of this so the mechanism I described could be a little off.

I have no idea what a magic bullet is but I'm assuming it's plastic as described. If you're ever in doubt, basically, most plastics have a stamp of a triangle with a number inside it, so if that number is 2, 4, or 5, then you're probably safe using brain octane in that. I couldn't comment on those that are about 10 or above as that's entering into biodegradable composite territory and I'm not up to date with all that.

The problem with common sense is that it isn't all that common.

• Senses has it right. Basic Organic chemistry tells us that organic molecules (such as the hydrocarbons in plastic, and the fats in your Brain Octane (Ironically, I don't think the MCT in BO is actually 8 carbons long...) ) will mix, but inorganic molecules (such as glass or metal. It's the reason oil and water don't mix) will not.

It's *probably* not a big issue, especially in something fairly well constructed like the magic bullet. Something like a dixie cup would likely leak a bit.
  • Hmmm? I've experimented with using MCT oil in my water bottles on my bike.  I wondered about the interaction with the plastic. The first time I did this the outside of the bottled became very slick -- don't know if some oil leaked through the threads on the cap.

• Why do you doubt there is C8 in Brain Octane?

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

• I'm with "The BioChemist". Why do you doubt that the MCT in Brain Octane is 8 carbons long?

Senses has it right. Basic Organic chemistry tells us that organic molecules (such as the hydrocarbons in plastic, and the fats in your Brain Octane (Ironically, I don't think the MCT in BO is actually 8 carbons long...) ) will mix, but inorganic molecules (such as glass or metal. It's the reason oil and water don't mix) will not.

• So my vitamix blender looks like stained glass. It's definitely from BPC, I just use MCT and butter. How bad is this anyone else had this problem?

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014

Saw that it says, on the back of my brain octane, that all edible oils, including brain octane react with certain plastics. I was wondering if it is safe to make my BPC in my magic bullet?

the main issue seems to be with polystyrene/styrofoam, fish oil does the same thing apparently. there is a BP support q&a on it here.

if the magic bullet contains any rubber/silicone/polyurethane (ie. for a seal), i would make sure you clean those well (after use), as i think the oil could affect/degrade one or more of those as well. 

fake it till you make it

• I'm with "The BioChemist". Why do you doubt that the MCT in Brain Octane is 8 carbons long?

Why do you doubt there is C8 in Brain Octane?

Oh, jeez. Of all the things to pick up on...
    Okay, there probably is some in there. More importantly, though, it's a catchy marketing name. Unlike with gasoline, there is nothing particularly special about C8 fats (Which wouldn't be octaine anyway. Too lazy at the moment to look up what it is called...).
    ...honestly, there isn't anything particularly special about Octane in gasoline, either. It's mostly claimed to reduce knocks.
  • Looks like im investing  in a blendtec

• BatExigeBatExige
    edited December 2014

I'm paranoid about this kind of stuff. Plus you are adding hot liquid to the mix. Unless someone can prove there are no leaching of chemicals into the coffee, I would either find a blender with glass jar or (my choice) use a stainless steel immersion mixer in an over-sized glass container like a mason jar to blend.

• I noticed in my bottle you can see where it melted the plastic when being poured in. Talked to my ND today who said to discontinue brain octane right away and research one that comes in glass. I am suprised it doesn’t. I did cyrex labs test and plastic is my biggest trigger. Wonder if the BO is causing me more problems. Bummer.