How Do You Take Your Collagen?

Hi guys,

On days where I'm not able to make my coffee with collagen in it, I would like to consume it right before bed.  

I was wondering how you guys take your collagen powder if you don't blend it into coffee?  Looking for some ideas on how to consume it in the evening when I can't drink something caffeinated with it!

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi guys,

On days where I'm not able to make my coffee with collagen in it, I would like to consume it right before bed.  

I was wondering how you guys take your collagen powder if you don't blend it into coffee?  Looking for some ideas on how to consume it in the evening when I can't drink something caffeinated with it!

Thanks!

Can be as simple as mixing it in water frankly.

Personally, I tend to mix it with trytophan for elevating seretonin levels before and whilst sleeping. 2 tsps collagen, 200mg tryptophan. Need to let it sit for a few hours before hand to allow for the tryptophan to dissolve fully.

Works great for better sleep and tryptophan wouldnt dissolve without the collagen to help it along.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited December 2014

Before bed, I put it in Upgraded cacao tea, but warm water is fine in a pinch. If you don't want it immediately before bed, soup is good too. 

I've been putting tryptophan in it as well. 

Personally, I tend to mix it with trytophan for elevating seretonin levels before and whilst sleeping. 2 tsps collagen, 200mg tryptophan. Need to let it sit for a few hours before hand to allow for the tryptophan to dissolve fully.

Dante, Steve Fowkes says that with warm water it should take 30 minutes to dissolve, so I don't think you need to wait hours if you add heat, plus he also mentioned it will absorb better if the mixture is warm. Visually, it looks fully dissolved in about 5-7 minutes for me. 

I posted a link in the colla/trypt thread showing data that tryptophan is nearly completely heat stable at 100C for 24 hours (something like a 5% loss.) So 30 minutes in less-than-boiling water shouldn't lose much at all. And we know that collagen is heat stable. 

• 2 Tbsp Collagen, 2 teaspoon nature calm magnesium in water.

• Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Consider making a decaf Bulletproof coffee?

Collagen doesn't seem to do a whole lot for me when I take it before bed.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Is it accurate that collagen shouldn't be taken with other proteins?

• Is it accurate that collagen shouldn't be taken with other proteins?

What is the basis for the question? It may be common to hear you need to take it away from others if using it to get tryptophan past the blood-brain barrier. Outside of that, though, I'm not sure why it would need to be taken away from others. Perhaps you know something I don't, though.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • I like collagen in

1) My Bulletproof Chaga

2) In a shaker cup with raw milk post-workout

• I dont know about tryptophan or sleep help, but I always take it with whey or just water and honey before bed, and my skin looks a lot better the next morning. I can only assume this is helping other parts of my body as well.

• What is the basis for the question? It may be common to hear you need to take it away from others if using it to get tryptophan past the blood-brain barrier. Outside of that, though, I'm not sure why it would need to be taken away from others. Perhaps you know something I don't, though.

I was hoping to get the multiple benefits I've heard about, including helping with sleep, but I read a post here that mentioned it. Maybe it only effects the sleep benefit.