Ketosis Question

I've been BPing for a few weeks now and started checking ketosis levels using the strips. So far i am hovering in the small to moderate range. Is that enough to reap any benefits or do I need to try to refine things to get into a deeper state?

Comments

• By way of experimentation, I would try upping my fat intake first. Take the krill oil or fish oil regularly, add a bit more butter to the BP coffee, and slightly reduce your vegetable amounts (just a little, maybe 10-20%) I bet you will go to medium/heavy in a week. Of course, if you're eating white rice or sweet potatoes due to exercising heavily, scale those back a bit.

Also, make sure you're megadosing on your B vitamins. This seems to be important for some reason, especially with women. I'm glad to hear that you've been doing it for several weeks! Keep up the good work, and live life more fully!
  • Cool thanks Joe. i have been taking the krill oil. I'm not eating any rice/potato yet as i have not had the need to. I sing in a hardrock band and I was going to save the yams for gig days when I need an extra energy boost. I could cut back on some veg. Just soooooooo weird to eat like this after so many years of having certian ideas drummed into your head image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Thanks a bunch..... appreciate the input!
  • They make strips for testing ketosis state?

How do they work and which brands are most reliable?
  • edited November 2012
    Yes. It is a strip with a small pad on the end that you pass thru your urine stream. Within 15 seconds the paper pad will turn a somewhere in the range of a pale pinkish to deep purple depending on how deeply in ketosis you are. Look in any drug store. I got mine at Walgreens. You'll find them in the diabetic testing section. The ones I usually see are called Ketostix and they're made by Bayer.
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    Ketostix are unreliable... waste of money if you ask me. You can manipulate them quite easily (dehydration, overexertion, taking a bunch of MCT, etc). Just follow the plan and don't worry about this.
  • I am not worried persay...I am just a control freak and a scientist by nature. I just want to know. Just before I eat my first meal at noon for the day I am well rested, well hydrated, and fasted for 15 hours. Would the ketostix prove to be unreliable in that situation?
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    I would assume the best way to test ketosis would be on a weekly basis. Check your weight in conjunction with taking pictures of your body incase your developing muscle(decreased weight would not be as severe).

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• RodRod The Rodfather
    edited November 2012
    EDITED****Double post, anyone know how to delete a post?

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• Any advice as to what ketosis FEELS like?
  • edited November 2012
    I think that the sticks are a good indication that you're moving in the right direction.... not so much a precise measurement. I've been around a moderate level according to the test and I dont really feel anything specific. I just feel really good in general. Mid afternoon brain fog is way less or none...... energy is up...... weird anxious feelings are gone.....focus is better...... that sort of thing.
  • 'Mark wrote:

They make strips for testing ketosis state?

How do they work and which brands are most reliable?

The common ones are from Bayer and are available at Wal-Mart and Target in the United States for about $12 a bottle. I've used them on and off for years, especially in the late 90's when I started Atkins. They work well enough to give you an indication, and it's true they will vary depending on your workout and hydration. Like Dave says, the mirror is your guide.