Brown Linseed (Flaxseed) Good Or Bad

Hi there

do anybody knows if Linseed are good or bad ,they are not mention on the BP DIET ....WHAT DOES IT MEANS CAN WE HAVE IT OR NOT ????

they are normally rated as one of the higher source of omega 3

please drop some line thank you

Comments

• "flax seed is high in oil, it’s just high in unhealthy polyunsaturated oils that oxidize very quickly. Even Ayurvedic medicine classifies it as “drying” which is something bad fats do to you…"

"it’s a highly unstable PUFA that will oxidize in your cells. Even whole flax isn’t healthy because of the rancid oil problems."

14 Steps to Eating BP : "4. Remove grains, grain derived oils, and vegetable oils such as corn, soy, and canola. Also remove unstable polyunsaturated oils such as walnut, flax, and peanut oil."
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • Spectrum and Barleans (and Whole Foods home brands) sell flax seed oil in dark containers that are kept cold, and supposedly remain unoxidized for a couple of month if you keep them in the fridge. I suspect it's at least partially true, because I can correlate improved short term memory with consuming that flaxseed.

Does anyone know how quickly these flax oils oxide if stored properly? I've noticed correlation, but it's too noisy to tell if it decays when it the oil is a little older (and likely more oxidized).
  • What do you use it for? And why is it so important to keep eating them?

[email protected]
  • omega 3 is what your brain is made of, there's some evidence that good omega 3 intake correlates with improved coordination, memory, as well as better inflamation control (and thinner blood - important to know if you're on blood thinners for any reason).

The supposedly best stable room-temperature stable sources are krill oil, then fish oil (from deepwater fish - but you have to make sure that these are not mercury or other heavy metal contaminated). flaxseed oil is an even better source from many perspectives, but it oxidizes very quickly at room temperature (and especially if exposed to sunlight).

Being a vegetarian (I know, I know, I can't really be bulletproof that way), I'm left with flax as the only reasonable source for omega 3. Home grinding usually introduces heat, so it's not a good way to process. But I'm not sure how long do the cold-pressed bottles you buy actually stay useful.

There's some discussion about conversion efficiency: my take is that, a-priori you don't convert much, and fish/krill sources provide a much better source, but after 2-3 weeks, your conversion rate increases, and flaxseed becomes as good (or even better) a source than fish/krill.
  • I'll try to post references later this week (grr, work!) but basically:

- EPA/DHA is indeed the important part for brain development.

- fish and krill has them, flax does not

- Some flaxseed producers claim that using algae, they can add or convert flaxseed oil into DHA/EPA. I couldn't find any references discussing processes and efficiencies, so even though I don't disbelieve it, I don't assume it actually works as advertised.

- The human body CAN covert to EPA/DHA, it's just that the conversion rate is quite low. Measured in vivo range between 3% and 12%, the only clear indicator being woman can convert much better than man (2% on average IIRC), but otherwise the variability is large and unexplained.

- However, flaxseed oil is comparatively cheap. So you can take 16,000mg, convert at 3%, get 500mg daily, and the price is comparable to krill or fish oil - $20/month or so. Personally, being a vegetarian, I prefer that [assuming it stays unoxidized for long enough to be useful, which is what I'm trying to find out in this thread] - but you'd probably prefer krill if you aren't - supposedly more robust to heat and oxidation and less chance of metal contamination than fish oil.

- I suspect I convert at better than 3% - I was taking ~3000mg/day for a few weeks, and started noticing much improved coordination, much better short term memory, much better gums. At the very least, I have observable improvement, which did not improve further with increased intake.

Discussing this with a nutritionist friend, her take (and eventually mine) is that the reason for this huge variability is that, like almost any other food source, the body keeps a very small population of enzymes that are not in use. Once there's not enough enzymes to process incoming food in due time, the body increases production of those enzymes. Therefore, you will only convert efficiently if you've been taking flaxseed oil regularly. THE CONVERSION STUDIES DO NOT SEEM TO ACCOUNT FOR THIS. Adaptation time for most enzymes for most people are 3 weeks or so, but this is also highly variable - some people seem to ramp up within a couple of days for some foods; some people take 6 weeks to ramp up. [Incidentally, that's a common cause of diarrhea and stomach aches when very different food, e.g. westerns going to asia, even though everyone blames everything on bacteria and viruses; that's also the reason people going all gung-ho on bpc/butter have problems digesting it].

If you believe and extrapolate the smell-calorie association theory of Seth Roberts (which is quite robust and makes verifyable predictions according to my anecdotal and unscientific observations), then it's possible that the right (learned) smell might also be required to properly modulate enzyme production. this is also never accounted for, although there is significant body of evidence showing that scents and flavors have huge influence on digestive processes.

So, the bottom line is, I think: If you're ok with eating krill oil, get krill oil. if you're not ok with krill but ok with fish, do that. Otherwise, do flax - but you have to take much better care of your flaxseed oil so that it doesn't spoil, and you need a lot more of it.
  • A lower ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids reduces inflammation and protects against disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12442909/

Krill oil has an omega 6 to EPA/DHA ratio that is 80 times better than canola oil and 50 times better than flax seed oil.

Eating grass-fed meat boosts omega-3 levels more than can be explained by the amount of omega-3’s in the meat (grass-fed meat is better than omega-3 supplements).

[email protected]