Carb Refeed Vs Higher Daily Carbs

I was wondering if you ladies could please share your experiences on carb refeeds and/or having higher daily carbs...

Which works better for you in terms of weight loss, energy, overall well being?

Does one work better for you than the other?

How many carb grams do you have for a refeed?

How many days a week do you do a refeed in order to feel your best?

If you prefer the daily carb spike, what carb gram range works for you?

I know everyone is different, thats why im asking what is working for YOU. It may help some people be able to try different ways and see if it would help them...

I for one am really finding it hard to do the refeed as its way too much food, i am totally full snd uncomfortable and bloated... i know its temporary, but hoping there is a better solution to reap the carb benefits without going through the stuffed feeling. Even spread over 2 meals is a challenge.

Thanx in advance for sharing your experiences!

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

I was wondering if you ladies could please share your experiences on carb refeeds and/or having higher daily carbs...

can't answer this one myself...not being a lady 'n all.

I for one am really finding it hard to do the refeed as its way too much food, i am totally full snd uncomfortable and bloated... i know its temporary, but hoping there is a better solution to reap the carb benefits without going through the stuffed feeling. Even spread over 2 meals is a challenge.

to add further info to your post, it would be worth you listing the foods that you are eating during your refeed.

for discussion purposes, i'll list a few of the starch options from the BP infographic;

green zone: sweet potato, yam, carrot, pumpkin, butternut squash.

nearly green zone: white rice, taro, cassava, plantain.

fake it till you make it

• Sorry Daz, lol, you can answer too :) I just wanted to see what works for women, as our bodies are complicated and delicate creatures... and what works for men, might not necessarily work for women. I hope you didnt take any offence to that.

On a carb refeed, 2x per week: one meal of 150 carb grams i have white rice, and the other is 150 carb grams sweet potato/ butternut at night. I have tried splitting it over 2 meals that day, and still a lot to choke down.
  • dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

Sorry Daz, lol, you can answer too :) I just wanted to see what works for women, as our bodies are complicated and delicate creatures... and what works for men, might not necessarily work for women. I hope you didnt take any offence to that.

you are spot on, i totally agree. (absolutely no offence was taken) 

fake it till you make it

• I searched with google scholar for long-term effects of ketogenic diets. Found mostly positive results for weight loss and blood value, untill I started to include the biological clock. Well, girls and guys, ketogenic has a huge impact on your natural biological rythms. Diurnal rythms are very important for all kinds of biological processes. A disturbed clock makes you fat and stressed. You can go on for years, I have successfully lost weight with very extreme approaches when I was younger. But no fad diet really works for me now. Coffee tends to lengthen your circadian rythm, so I cut down on coffee. Cocoa powder has 16 times the amount of polyphenols and less coffein. Google chronobiology and nutrition, you'll find a lot. Having your meals before 18.00 improves weight loss. Interesting, you can reset your biological clock by carefully timing your meals. I don't know if carb refeeds every 3 days will rule out the negative effects, but at my age and with my health problems I just don't want to take the risk. So I take some carbs at dinner, and try not to take too much fat. I immediately noticed improvement in sleep quality. I have been suffering from muscle cramps in the night and early morning for years, and noticed that they got worse when I went too low carb. Taking some carbs at dinner takes the cramps away. I have yet to try taking glucobay (acarbose) with my carb meal. Acarbose slows the digestion of carbs. The problem with taking carbs each day is of course weight loss, but I didn't lose weight on a very low carb diet anymore. I'll keep you informed.
  • I, too, find it hard some days to get down food.  I'm just not hungry.  Also, I find that mixing things up helps me feel best.  I'll have an very low carb day for 2 or 3 days, and higher carb day.  I don't go above100 carbs, though.  Too many and I feel sluggish.  Energy-wise,  I feel best on low carb days.    But, yes, there are times I feel like I have to choke down food, too.  I don't wanna be low calorie and I need the nutrition, so I will eat.    I tend to eat pretty scheduled and don't eat after 6 pm.  Lunch is usually an avocado with celery or a piece of chicken. BTW - avocado on chicken is AMAZING!   Dinner varies but is always meat and veggies. We have access to great meat quality.   On carb refeed days I have sweet potato most of the time.  I like them a lot!!!!   But we will have white rice if it fits the meal better. 

As far as weight loss, I didn't start this to lose weight.  I just wanted to feel better.  Now that my energy is back, the weight loss is happening (not that I have a lot to lose -- about 8 pounds to be back in my best range) bc I'm more active and I believe my body is using the food I'm eating more efficiently.  Sleep is GREAT.  But my mental and psychological feeling is the BEST.  I find myself just bee-bopping and singing and feeling happy.  THAT is priceless.