Replacing Bp Coffee With ? During Pregnancy

Just wondering what all you BP women ate for breakfast when pregnant.  I know that caffeine is generally not a great choice during pregnancy and the decaffinated stuff to me defeats the purpose of coffee.  I also read somewhere that Green tea is recommended to mix with the butter and MCT but then I read somewhere else that it is not recommended because it can deplete your folate leading to possible nueral tube defects.

So what do you drink? 

any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am not pregnant ATM but we are trying.  I am just trying to prepare ahead.  I have become so accustomed to drinking my coffee in the morning that now I am worried I will not find a suitable replacement.

thanks,

Jen

Comments

• I'm not pregant but I switched to a nice warm salted cup of bone broth and am really enjoying it.

• I am trying to get pregnant as well and I have decaf or a good roiboos. What else are you doing to improve your diet before pregnancy and to favor fertility?
  • I have seen this other recipe that maybe you like, It is the Vanilla Latte recipe:

2 tbsp grassfed butter

1 tbsp. mct oil

1 tsp. upgraded vanilla

Some sweetener if you want

8-12 oz. of boiling water

Blend till frothy.
  • Coffee in the first trimester is a no-no (inc. risk of miscarriage - although 50mg per day seems ok)

so prepare yourself for the caffeine withdrawal in advance by cutting down now. 

You will likely go off the smell/taste anyways - I did!

2-3rd trimester up to 200mg caffeine a day is deemed safe so BP coffee ok if made with less coffee.

Still - I remain a little concerned about such a fat load hitting the system when the fetus is developing.

Moderation is key.

• SportieDoc , what would you recommend for fertility and conception? I want to get pregnant as well and it is not being easy to me...

What do you think about Upgraded Decaff Coffee during preconception and pregnancy?
  • My partner and I are TTC and I've switched to a decaf BP mocha in the mornings and some weak black tea as needed through the day.  I drink loads of warm water the rest of the time.  I think I'll be switching to peppermint tea soon though as gettting pregnant has been taking longer than I ever expected. 

anhernand - have you read Dave's book 'Better Babies'??  It has a heap of useful info and they do say no coffee when TTC/pregnant. 

I also enjoyed 'It starts with the egg' by Rebecca Fett for information on what to supplement/eat/do to get knocked up. 

• edited January 2015
    What do you think about upgraded decaff? Is it ok for preconception?
  • i'm done with childbearing (most likely) but i quit coffee in order to nurture my adrenals.  my replacement is still really delicious and i look forward to it every morning.  i simmer roasted dandelion root, pau d'arco bark, and i recently added a little bit of chaga mushroom to the mix as well.  if i'm really thinking ahead, i simmer it the night before and heat it up the next few mornings.  strain some and add lots of fat and whatever else you like in your coffee.  pau d'arco has a vanilla-like flavor and is anti-candida.  chaga is anti-cancer.  dandelion root is really good for the liver and when roasted, has a flavor somewhat similar to coffee.  i like to blend in some powdered astragalus root, powdered stevia leaf, collagen, butter, coconut oil, a touch of salt, and ghee.  yum! 

• i'm done with childbearing (most likely) but i quit coffee in order to nurture my adrenals.  my replacement is still really delicious and i look forward to it every morning.  i simmer roasted dandelion root, pau d'arco bark, and i recently added a little bit of chaga mushroom to the mix as well.  if i'm really thinking ahead, i simmer it the night before and heat it up the next few mornings.  strain some and add lots of fat and whatever else you like in your coffee.  pau d'arco has a vanilla-like flavor and is anti-candida.  chaga is anti-cancer.  dandelion root is really good for the liver and when roasted, has a flavor somewhat similar to coffee.  i like to blend in some powdered astragalus root, powdered stevia leaf, collagen, butter, coconut oil, a touch of salt, and ghee.  yum! 

This sound awesome... I wish I had the luxury of time to do this! 

• I am currently 5 weeks pregnant. I am doing a green tea with ghee and MCT oil. Plus I eat a few scoops of coconut oil.  I had an IUD for many years, so we when we were ready to conceive I had it removed and then waited 2 months for my hormones/body to get back in balance before trying to conceive. Success our first try. I am 33 and husband is 36. We have been on the bulletproof diet for a few years and do bulletproof coffee every morning, until I the test came back positive then I switched to the green tea last week. We take a handful of pills every morning before trying to conceive, but when trying I added a few more supplements:  CoQ10, milk thistle, Zinc, L-arginine and I started taking a double dose of the Garden of Life's Vitamin Code RAW Prenatal.      

I am not a doctor, but I haven't seen or read anything regarding coffee hindering FERTILITY. Therefore I don't think it is necessary to switch away from the coffee until you really think you are pregnant. If you are healthy and in tune with your body, which I think most bulletproof women are, you will notice changes (especially in your breasts) about a week after ovulation.   Best of luck to those trying!  Make sure the hubby is healthy and taking his supplements as well!