Eating Tons Of Fat With Carbs And Protein (Insulin Resistance)

Here is an article I just read that makes it seem like you could develop some serious insulin issues if you consume fat with carbs on your carb night. Please clear this up for me, because I really like eating a half stick of Kerrygold with my sweet potato, but I don't want to be fat and diabetic.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2013/03/true-or-false-adding-fat-to-carby-meal.html

Also, please provide information on why consuming fatty meat is so important (to avoid gluconeogenesis) as opposed to lean meat. What is the mechanism by which the "processing" of the meat is aided by fat consumption.

I have always been under the impression that I should eat tons of fat, all the time, on carb refeed days, ketogenic days, workout days, and on half-and-half days. What works best to increase muscle and keep body fat low (and more importantly to feel amazing)?

Comments

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

Who told you to eat large amounts of fat with carbs? At any rate, to answer many things at once you would probably do best to eat protein, carb around workouts and protein, carb, veg at night, with meals away from training and rest day meals being protein, fat, and veg (not 100%, don't be weird about it, some fat for flavor on carbs or accidental carbs with your fat is normal).  Protein is a building block not an energy source by default, it requires "energy" to metabolize it, if you only eat pure protein then it must use some of the protein to metabolize itself (gluconeogenesis), thats about as in depth and technical as you could ever need for an explanation.

Thanks for the answer, Jason!

Dave said to do it in the "safe starch" article. Perhaps he has recanted it, but he said in the last paragraph:

"So there you have it. Enjoy roasted sweet potatoes soaked in butter for dinner once or twice a week, or maybe have baked mochi (white rice) stuffed with grass fed butter and drizzled with raw honey for dessert. Just don’t do it every night. This is my primary way of achieving low-carb benefits without the established problems that come from long-term low-carb dieting. Proper timing of carbs is one way the Bulletproof diet works like it does. A long term, high-fat, moderate protein, low carb diet won’t do the same things by itself."

Why did he say this if it doesn't work?

• yeah i dunno if unlimited butter consumption is really the healthiest choice for most people, especially with a higher carb meal. i gotta agree with jason that some of the things dave hypes up are more about captivating an audience. there's some truth to the value of butter, sure, but i'm not sure whole "must eat moar butter!" approach is gonna work for everyone.

yeah i dunno if unlimited butter consumption is really the healthiest choice for most people, especially with a higher carb meal. i gotta agree with jason that some of the things dave hypes up are more about captivating an audience. there's some truth to the value of butter, sure, but i'm not sure whole "must eat moar butter!" approach is gonna work for everyone.

Eating a ton of butter has worked for me thus far, but I'm keeping an eye on my weight (it has been creeping up to 175 from a steady 170 for the past few months). I had bottomed out to 152 at my sickest (had a very leaky gut and looked pretty emaciated). As I've convalesced over the past year, I have gained 18 pounds. I'm almost 6 feet tall, I work out (deadlifts, squats, and stuff), and I think a lot of it was muscle (my hip size went from 31 to 38 this year and waist hung around 31-32).

Some explanation for this obsession is I've struggled with my weight all my life, so I'm just scared that I'll start gaining bad weight again. It's almost an anorexic paranoia (not healthy I know).

Should I be concerned and mix things up if I start to approach 180? Before, it never seemed like any amount of butter made me gain fat. I think I've been at about 12-14 tbsp a day this whole year. I really don't care if I gain weight, honestly, as long as I can be sure that it's muscle and not fat. I suppose the hip-waist ratio (which has improved steadily) is always the best measure of this?

Oh also, I have been eating a carb meal every day, because I find that it helps with my food allergies (I get rashes and sweaty sometimes if I miss a meal, or IF—weird, I know). I guess I should just try cutting out carbs except for green veggies on workout days? Trying to find a balance where I can go into ketosis yet still feed my gut bacteria. I also eat sauerkraut with 1-2 meals/day.

I know that's a lot of info. I think I've done pretty well hacking my health thus far, with a lot of help along the way, but I'm always looking for a more perfect solution. Approaching it from a bodybuilder's standpoint rather than a sick person's standpoint is much better on the nerves, let me tell you!

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I'm now carrying a few pounds of butter and coconut oil on my hips, thighs and tummy so I'd definitely say watch out if you tend to gain, and find what works for you because it is quite individual. But I think you can get away with more carbs than just green veggies after a hard workout. You may need it or not. :)

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

edited December 2014

I just remembered, I had Chipotle a lot in the past couple weeks. Lots of tomatoes, kosher salt, and chopped onions. I usually get some rice with it, too. The fructose in the tomatoes/onions I think is the worst part.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014

Here is an article I just read that makes it seem like you could develop some serious insulin issues if you consume fat with carbs on your carb night. Please clear this up for me, because I really like eating a half stick of Kerrygold with my sweet potato, but I don't want to be fat and diabetic.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2013/03/true-or-false-adding-fat-to-carby-meal.html

my guess...   'excess' fats with carbs would be more of a concern when combined with overfeeding (a hypercaloric diet).

so potentially whilst people are losing excess weight (underfeeding/hypocaloric diet) this is not so much a concern...

but once you hit your maintenance weight you need to be more cognisant of what/how you eat.

on the overfeeding 'thing', the suppversity guys you linked to have just done a new related article which discusses high fat & carbs when combined with overfeeding;

The Overfeeding Overview: High Fat, Carb, Protein, MCTs, Leptin, Testosterone, T3 & Reverse T3

fake it till you make it

edited December 2014

my guess...   'excess' fats with carbs would be more of a concern when combined with overfeeding (a hypercaloric diet).

so potentially whilst people are losing excess weight (underfeeding/hypocaloric diet) this is not so much a concern...

but once you hit your maintenance weight you need to be more cognisant of what/how you eat.

on the overfeeding 'thing', the suppversity guys you linked to have just done a new related article which discusses high fat & carbs when combined with overfeeding;

The Overfeeding Overview: High Fat, Carb, Protein, MCTs, Leptin, Testosterone, T3 & Reverse T3

Thanks for the input. Yeah I read that one. I don't like it. He lost me once he mentioned that your reaction to overfeeding mostly has to do with your genes. Do you like his stuff, daz? I read some other articles, and one said that a ketogenic diet is the worst diet for gaining muscle. Seems like B.S. to me.

edited December 2014

keto is bad for gaining muscle, great for cutting and getting smaller, once you start adding carbs back in at a level just short of fat gain you will grow muscle and strength at a rate far exceeding low carb.  The key for overall non risk success is metabolic flexibility, going back and forth from high carb to no carb depending on the day, the hour, or the activity.

That makes sense. But still, wouldn't this be considered a low-carb approach? Averaging something close to 100 g a day I'd say.

I'm now carrying a few pounds of butter and coconut oil on my hips, thighs and tummy so I'd definitely say watch out if you tend to gain, and find what works for you because it is quite individual. But I think you can get away with more carbs than just green veggies after a hard workout. You may need it or not. :)

Thanks for the input, Reka! However, I just wanted to clarify that I felt I wasn't gaining fat, because my waist-to-hip ratio was improving (hips going up at a faster rate than my waist). I am trying to add white rice after a workout, because it doesn't have the fructose problem. 

• I just remembered, I had Chipotle a lot in the past couple weeks. Lots of tomatoes, kosher salt, and chopped onions. I usually get some rice with it, too. The fructose in the tomatoes/onions I think is the worst part.

----

MY FAVORITE!

But it tasted so good right ;-)?

-Kate