Could You Give Me Tips To Solve My Constipation?

Hi! I am very constipated lately, I also think that I weight much more because of that in the last few days (it is not a Christmas consecuence because I have eaten BP all the time) I have MCT oil, I have greens, I also have magnesium every night, but since I started the Bulletproof Diet I am having problems with it. I am eating so little fruit that maybe that is the reason, my daily fiber intake is not enought to my body.

Could you give some tips?

Comments

• Cruiser42Cruiser42 Want to look like this again - or BETTER!

I'm new, too, so maybe I'm not the best person to answer this, but my system has reacted in exactly the opposite way!  My stools are loose, and diarrhea is not uncommon. 

I attribute this to the MCT oil and butter in my coffee.  I also eat greens, no fruit, steak, lamb, pork and chicken.

How much MCT oil and butter do you put in your coffee?  I, for example, make 2 cups of coffee, and put 4 tblsp of butter and 2-3 tblsp of MCT oil.

Its amazing how different all our bodies are!  Good luck ! 

• Well I've had really similar issues with constipation. I think there are three reasons this happens for me: I'm eating too much protein instead of fat, I'm not eating enough fiber, or I'm eating butter. To fix it I started adding 1/2 an avocado to each of my meals just for the extra fat and limiting my beef. I also started made my vegetables to meat ratio more so that it was way more vegetables. The first two worked really well, but I'm still having issues and I think it's the grass-fed butter. I would sometimes have issues with dairy and I think my body just can't do lactose at all so I've cut that out. It's only been a day, but I actually have felt much better. I'll post something if it creates a big improvement.

• Some things to consider.

Double up your nightly magnesium. Pink salt water in the mornings and possibly in the evenings. Start taking Vitamin C. Squatty Potty or some other means to adjust defecating posture. Increase veggies. Eat an avocado a day. Bananas post workout. Walk after meals, and exercise in general.  And make sure to search the forums, there's a lot of good advice.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• Criser42 I just have a Tbsp of MCT oil in my morning decaff coffe, so maybe is not enough, I will add some more.

Tyannes, I have avocado daily, but just half and in one of my meals, I also think I am having more prots than fat ever meal, except in breakfast, I might increase the amount of fat and veggies. I cannot have dairy because I have issues with it, so I have ghee instead.

I will follow your tips to see how it goes.

Bull of Heaven, I have pink salt in the mornings, I exercise 5 days or 6 per week, but I will increase the veggies, and avocado as I said, I will have the banana post workout (do you have anything else with it? Like a Shake or something?) and I will follow rest of your tips for sure, hopefully they work.

I am feeling very bloated and I am not losing any weight. Thanks a lot for your great help.
  • I read in one of these posts that we should be using probiotic, especially women.   Healthy gut bacteria is a must for everyone.

• I totally understand your pain and frustration! Constipation is the worst. (I'm in a diarrhea phase and so much prefer it.)

I have to say, I have ended up realizing I'm _less_ constipated when I eat less fruit. Definitely bananas are constipating for me. And hard raw greens like kale can be too. I'd totally skip the banana. Interesting how people differ--probiotics can make things worse for some people too.

Exercise is a real "Goldilocks" thing: in my experience anyway, too much exercise shuts my guts down, but good regular walking and some yoga helps keep things moving.

Coffee can make you "go" but you can build tolerance quickly, so I don't think it's a good solution.

Magnesium and vitamin C are lifesavers for getting things moving, and no negative effects. You might have to take a lot. At one point I had to take 15g (1500mg) of vit C to get things going!

MCT works for me, too. Do you consume dairy? Many people find it very constipating but don't realize. Oh, I just saw you don't do dairy. Good :)

Olive oil can help, too. Salt is good, but maybe not to get things going. I've had the experience of trying to get things going with salt and just having to take so much and feeling so sick from it.

Hope this is some help?

• In the short term try a glycerin suppositry from the pharmacy or a stool softener such as sodium docusate.

Agree re increasing nightly magnesium - mag citrate 2-3tsp's. 

Psyllium husk fibre in warm water with lemon am and pm. 

• anhernand,

I actually found this article that talked about how eating a lot more cruciferous vegetables could be causing constipation.

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/ketosis-and-constipation/

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/common-constipation-culprits/

I'm having really weird problems with constipation and it's making life pretty difficult. I don't know what it could be and it's causing a lot bloating. I thought it was GF butter or eggs and it due to dairy issues. It's not that. What I'm thinking it is now is something to do with eating too many cruciferous veggies (I got that idea from the article) or accidentally eating too many green beans. If those aren't it then I'm not sure and i'm going to just have to give up eating this way because it was causing brain fog and such ridiculous bloating that I swore I gained like 15 pounds. I'd say it's just pure inflammation, but I can't go.

• Are you drinking enough water? You probably are, but sometimes we overlook the simple things.

• I am really glad I found this post as I have been having the same problem recently since becoming more "Bulletproof". Thank you tyannes for the links, they really explained a lot. I have been eating a lot more cruciferous veges lately and think this may be my problem. When I first started drinking the coffee I was regular like never before. Not so much now. Has anyone tried any quality enzymes, and if so, what kind? Thanks.

• Hi All, I had a similar problem on a previous plan that was high protein, low carb, low fat.  My experience has been that doing the following four things made a huge difference:

• Eat less red meat, especially beef--all that iron really slows things down. (I have noticed that my cats also get constipated from too much beef!)  Interestingly, I haven't noticed a constipation problem from eating lamb.
    • Avoid dark chocolate, or any cocoa--there is something in chocolate that constipates
    • Eat lots of romaine lettuce--it really helps move things along in a good way
    • Drink more water

If I do these things, especially the romaine lettuce, I'm feeling better in no time.

Jackie

• Thank you very much for those great tips!! I eat a lot of red meat and also a bit of dark chocolate everyday, so I am going to follow your recommendations Jaxx!

Just another question, what is your opinion about raw carob powder? Is it ok to the BP diet principles?
  • Cruiser42Cruiser42 Want to look like this again - or BETTER!

anhernand - are things any better for you? 

Its hard to focus on tweaking your diet when you're bloated and cant go!  I hope things are much better for you now --

• Hi All, I had a similar problem on a previous plan that was high protein, low carb, low fat.  My experience has been that doing the following four things made a huge difference:

• Eat less red meat, especially beef--all that iron really slows things down. (I have noticed that my cats also get constipated from too much beef!)  Interestingly, I haven't noticed a constipation problem from eating lamb.
    • Avoid dark chocolate, or any cocoa--there is something in chocolate that constipates
    • Eat lots of romaine lettuce--it really helps move things along in a good way
    • Drink more water

If I do these things, especially the romaine lettuce, I'm feeling better in no time.

Jackie

I have noticed that when I eat chocolate my stools are not the usual.  I started to wonder it can't be a coincidence that when I eat chocolate (I only eat good quality chocolate), there is something in chocolate that does mess with digestion. 

• Are you drinking enough water? You probably are, but sometimes we overlook the simple things.

This is somewhat true but be careful.  Drinking too much water can actually dehydrate you and make things worse.  Nat Mur is a homeopathic remedy that ensures your body "captures" and utilizes the water you are drinking.  Sipping small amounts of water frequently during the day is the route to go.  None of this not drinking for hours on end.  I've also had success with a tea called Smooth Move.  One bag does enough for several days since you only need a mouthful three or four times per day.  I don't even boil the water, just put a bag in a glass jar of water in the fridge and pour a little into you drinking water for the day.  It has a nice flavor.