Don't Forget To Stop Eating Gmo Kerrygold - Exact Date?

Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Bulletproof Diet

Just a reminder about the Kerrygold tendency to switch their cows to 20% grain (3% of which they admit is probably GMO) around this time of year. 

Does anyone know exactly what date they switch them to grains, and when exactly they go back out to pasture? I have Facebooked Kerrygold before and not gotten a response. I should call probably, but please let me know if you know this info already.

Thanks!

Oh BTW: I was reminded this year, because the butter starts to have a tangy aftertaste (that I perceive) around this time of year. Believe it or not.

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I'm with Mark Sisson on this one: Who cares?

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Bull of HeavenBull of Heaven ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015

I think the more important reminder is that last year there was a Kerrygold shortage in January and February. It was probably due to the brutal winter. So far this winter hasn't been too bad. But it probably couldn't hurt to stock up a lil extra just in case.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• I love this quote from the Mark Sisson link provided by Skeleton.

"Cows are gorging themselves on that stuff. For 312 days out of the year, they’re eating wild cow salad and living the dream"

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/kerrygold-gmos-primal-jainism-saffron-supplement/#ixzz3Nlsmexhu"

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭
    edited January 2015

I love this quote from the Mark Sisson link provided by Skeleton.

"Cows are gorging themselves on that stuff. For 312 days out of the year, they’re eating wild cow salad and living the dream"

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/kerrygold-gmos-primal-jainism-saffron-supplement/#ixzz3Nlsmexhu"

This is why I hate the Bulletproof forum. I didn't ask if I should care. I DO CARE! Would it kill someone to answer the question? You're in breach of forum rules, actually, when you reply like this. I don't really care enough to report it, but you could it least address my question. 

WHAT IS THE EXACT DATE THAT THEY START EATING THE GMO GRAINS?

It's like I'm on the forum for Men's Fitness or something where no one "cares" about GMO, I swear.

The date will vary as to grass availabity, the availability is dependant on weather, the weather is variant. This is why they give loose terms like "fall" or "winter". It is safe to say that you could monitor the weather in Ireland so you know the likelihood of the time of supplementation.

Other than that I don't think anyone here is under their employment and therefore unable to answer your question with any merit or accuracy.

Thanks, Jason. Sounds like a bit of a crapshoot. I have contacted them through Facebook but never got a response. I thought there might have been someone who had looked into it deeper. Keeping track of the weather would be rough, because who knows when that butter was made? I don't think it says that on the wrapper, but it might have an expiration date that's reliable to calculate the DOM with.

I love this quote from the Mark Sisson link provided by Skeleton.

Sorry for blowing up. Before I get a snub or quip from you guys, I will say that was a useful article. However, I have to disagree that the round-up from the grains doesn't get in the milk and ultimately the butter. Actually, it makes some good sense that it would, and so would the inflammatory proteins from GMOs (just a tad). At the risk of sounding unresearched and off-the-cuff (as I often do), I'd compare the transfer of toxins to the milk of mammals to how it seems to happen with alcohol. If anybody actually saw Neighbors, there is a rather disturbing scene where Seth Rogen's character has to "milk" his wife in order to eliminate the alcholic breast milk she would have otherwise passed on to their child. Not sure if this is a myth, but I'm pretty sure it makes sense.

I do agree that the GMO and roundup residue from the 3% grains (given to the cows from God knows what time of year) wouldn't be an issue for most people, at times when the liver is congested from exposure to mold, formaldehyde (in my case), or other environmental toxins, you might develop new sensitivities, and Kerrygold butter could plausibly become your kryptonite for a little bit. I'm going to go on goat butter for a while and see if that helps.

The reason I became aware (or wary) was the funny way it started tasting all of a sudden, on top of a tendency to burp after downing 2 tablespoons straight up. That usually doesn't happen, so I'm taking precautions and doing the research on what's different. This could all be, of course, a red herring or a dead end, among many other possible things screwing with my detox pathways this season, but it's worth a try. At the risk of sounding like Jack Kruse, I think winter in general makes everything harder on the body because of the weakened magnetic field of the Earth (or is it the weakend Schumann resonance?). This is very believable considering how many people get sick in the winter. Most of them are, of course, consuming straight-up GMOs with plenty of round-up and all that, but they still aren't getting colds and flus all year round. I think we can definitively say that winter is hard on everyone in temperate zones, so being mindful of sources of stress on your immune system (even the little things) is very important.

• Sorry for blowing up. Before I get a snub or quip from you guys, I will say that was a useful article. However, I have to disagree that the round-up from the grains doesn't get in the milk and ultimately the butter. Actually, it makes some good sense that it would, and so would the inflammatory proteins from GMOs (just a tad).

You had a fair point that you didn't ask if you should care, you do care, but unfortunately I think Jason is right that we can't know for sure. Kerrygold, like Cabot and Organic Valley, is a consortium of farms. It's up to individual farmers to decide when to keep their cows in the barn, and sometimes you can have a snow/rain line at specific elevations, meaning a slightly lower elevation farm could get rained on, while one only a mile or two away could be covered in snow and ice, and forced to feed grain. I don't think you will get an answer from Kerrygold, because I doubt they have a system in place where individual farms report to the corporate office exactly when cows are being fed what. Your best bets are to reverse-engineer the butter best-by date, and probably then stockpile butter from the ideal dates. Or find a local farm where you can talk to the farmer. 

I do want to point out, though, what is at least my opinion about this forum: I think each thread becomes a public resource, not just a way to get one's own questions answered. I think Skeletor's original point that he doesn't care, with a link to an informed article, is useful to all the other people who come in and read this thread. Especially since we have so many newbies coming in after reading the book. A newbie doesn't know the difference in importance between winter 3% GMO butter and avoiding GMO corn. I think it's important, in a thread like this, to establish a sense of relative importance. If the OP doesn't do it, I think it's appropriate for another forum member to provide that relative importance. 

To be clear, you make fair points about why we should care about this, but I think it's hard to argue it's equally important to eating a good macronutrient ratio, getting enough vitamin D, etc. 

Just to be clear: I wasn't trying to be snarky or anything. I just don't think it's an issue. It's OK if you do and you wish to avoid Kerrygold for a certain amount of time to avoid the GMO issue. Sorry I couldn't answer the question posed, but like others have said, it's kind of a hard thing to answer.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

You had a fair point that you didn't ask if you should care, you do care, but unfortunately I think Jason is right that we can't know for sure. Kerrygold, like Cabot and Organic Valley, is a consortium of farms. It's up to individual farmers to decide when to keep their cows in the barn, and sometimes you can have a snow/rain line at specific elevations, meaning a slightly lower elevation farm could get rained on, while one only a mile or two away could be covered in snow and ice, and forced to feed grain. I don't think you will get an answer from Kerrygold, because I doubt they have a system in place where individual farms report to the corporate office exactly when cows are being fed what. Your best bets are to reverse-engineer the butter best-by date, and probably then stockpile butter from the ideal dates. Or find a local farm where you can talk to the farmer. 

I do want to point out, though, what is at least my opinion about this forum: I think each thread becomes a public resource, not just a way to get one's own questions answered. I think Skeletor's original point that he doesn't care, with a link to an informed article, is useful to all the other people who come in and read this thread. Especially since we have so many newbies coming in after reading the book. A newbie doesn't know the difference in importance between winter 3% GMO butter and avoiding GMO corn. I think it's important, in a thread like this, to establish a sense of relative importance. If the OP doesn't do it, I think it's appropriate for another forum member to provide that relative importance. 

To be clear, you make fair points about why we should care about this, but I think it's hard to argue it's equally important to eating a good macronutrient ratio, getting enough vitamin D, etc. 

As usual, a thoughtful response carefully weighing the merits of both sides. :-)  

It's true that it's not nearly as important as macros, but if you get affected by GMOs, it could make or break you if you're getting some GMO but doing everything else right. This is precisely why I thought it was important to bring up: for newbies.

An even better way of putting it: Asprey and Sisson portray Kerrygold as some sort of health food (okay maybe it is) or as if it's organic (a newbie most likely thinks this). Thankfully, Dave put up the Kerrygold article/petition in an effort to make good on his effort to always promote organic and be honest. Now, I'm no globalist (quite the opposite), and I hate the overuse of the term "sustainable," but I think the local/sustainable thing is an awesome thing as far as food goes, and if we make people aware that Kerrygold may not always be the best choice, we might convince some people to support their local grass-fed farms and build a better environment, on top of a demand for those things. Dissing Kerrygold could probably be a good thing for this reason. However, I have no problem with someone buying Kerrygold if they prefer it to a local butter (for instance if they think they are sensitive to the American casein and want the "less inflammatory" casein from Jersey cows). In any case, bringing awareness to this GMO issue is I think worth it. I'm not going to let Mark Sisson's pishing of Kerrygold's problem dissuade me. Oh and I did switch from Kerrygold to Trickling Springs (local grassfed butter in DC/Baltimore area) today, and felt much better almost instantly. Coincidence? I don't know.

Just to be clear: I wasn't trying to be snarky or anything. I just don't think it's an issue. It's OK if you do and you wish to avoid Kerrygold for a certain amount of time to avoid the GMO issue. Sorry I couldn't answer the question posed, but like others have said, it's kind of a hard thing to answer.

It's a pain in the butt to answer. Sounds like it's downright near impossible if Jason Miller and ACH85 are right. I think it's worth giving up on the butter if you ask me, just because of the uncertainty factor. 

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

It's a pain in the butt to answer. Sounds like it's downright near impossible if Jason Miller and ACH85 are right. I think it's worth giving up on the butter if you ask me, just because of the uncertainty factor. 

I wonder if New Zealand Anchor butter could be a 'safer bet' for you then...? i would presume/guess that pasture 'availability' is better in NZ than in Ireland. Any Kiwi's care to comment ?

fake it till you make it

edited January 2015

Kerrygold certainly isn't the most Bulletproof butter in the world; it's good that you sought out another brand and that it's working for you! Kerrygold could stand to improve its process and becoming organic/doing away with GMO feed would be a great step towards making it more BP. If I could afford it and weather the inconvenience of seeking it out/storing it, I'd definitely find a local source and buy up higher quality butter in bulk. Of course, where Kerrygold is concerned, pursuing these 2 changes would likely lead to an increase in its price for what I imagine is a really (really) tiny increase in quality.

I just take exception to the thread title and argument that this (really marginial) inclusion of GMOs in the feed of Kerrygold's cows is enough to proclaim: "Don't forget to stop eating it!!" It's alarmist. No offense intended, but 3% GMO feed during certain months does not a toxic butter make. Moreover, though I'm certainly no expert in the way of biochemistry, I'm not sure that said toxins DO accumulate in the butter/milk of mammals. Alcohol does, yes, but I'm not sure we can say the same for Roundup residue or "inflammatory GMO proteins". Kerrygold doesn't use Roundup (or pesticides) anyway.

Even if the overall quality of Kerrygold takes a hit due to the 3% GMO content in the feed, it's almost certainly better than 98-99% of the butters you'll find on store shelves in the US, much better than grain-fed and, in the end, a rather healthy source of fat. It is not the Maserati of butters, I grant you that, but if Dave "the very thought of mold/toxins gives me instant brain fog and ruins my performance" Asprey can eat it without issues, I have to wonder at your claims, haha.

edited January 2015

the inflammatory proteins from GMOs

Sorry, not looking to be a jerk here or anything (it's possible I'm just misinformed), but do we even have any proof of these supposedly inflammatory proteins that come specifically from GMOs and of their ending up in milk? This whole premise that the GMO feed even matters (especially in such miniscule quantities) just seems specious to me.

To look at it another way, while they may not be the most BP cows, using their vibration platforms and mega-dosing UA while wearing their blue-blockers every day, consuming 3% of feed from GMOs during a few months in the year hardly makes them "unhealthy" cows. Those cows are doing the 97/3 plan like some paleo dieters do the 80/20. Those cows seem pretty BP to me, all things considered. Their snacking on a bit of GMO is tantamount to their having a cheat day now and then, of them having a Snickers bar or a burger with a bun on it, in a way.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

I wonder if New Zealand Anchor butter could be a 'safer bet' for you then...? i would presume/guess that pasture 'availability' is better in NZ than in Ireland. Any Kiwi's care to comment ?

=====

My father in law used to be a share milker south of Auckland in the North Island. In winter it doesn't get too bad, but it gets bad enough that they have to feed the cows turnips and who knows what else. That was back in the 80s. Today, New Zealand has become America's little bitch, with many laws and treaties on the table to benefit US companies at the expense of NZers, as well a many applications for CAFO farms being submitted, despite there being no real need for it.

I am just guessing here, but I would bet the NZ farmers have largely subscribed to using cheap US grains over the winter months.

Other than that, the vast majority is grass-fed.

Also I should add that I spent my first 23 of life living in the country and I've turned my back on it.

edited January 2015

I didn't know winter doesnt occur in DC/Baltimore, because if it does then they are supplementing during that time as well.

I believe they are using hay. The default is to assume if it says 100% grass-fed and "organic" that they don't use GMO grains. The "organic" label doesn't bear GMO grains in the equation if I'm not mistaken. I have a local farmer I go to for my actual meats that does 100%. I haven't asked Trickling Springs specifically just to make sure yet. I was just assuming. Could be a mistake.

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015

I believe they are using hay. The default is to assume if it says 100% grass-fed and "organic" that they don't use GMO grains. The "organic" label doesn't bear GMO grains in the equation if I'm not mistaken. I have a local farmer I go to for my actual meats that does 100%. I haven't asked Trickling Springs specifically just to make sure yet. I was just assuming. Could be a mistake.

Rob are you wearing all organic cotton clothing or GMO cotton? I am sure some of the clothing you are wearing is also petroleum based polyester. Both of those leave toxic residue in the skin, which you are absorbing right now.

Clothing is a necessary evil. The .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% GMO protein that you might be getting in your KerryGold butter if you choose the wrong stick during winter doesn't even come close to the toxins you expose yourself everyday, on purpose or not.

Could it be possible that the absurd amounts of butter you are ingesting on a daily basis might be causing some of your issues instead?

I might be neurotic as well but come on now.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

^ This.

Is the marginal benefit worth the marginal effort required?

• LOL - the National Orthorexia support group (i.e. the Bulletproof Forum) has drawn the line!  We sure do love our Kerrygold!

Rob are you wearing all organic cotton clothing or GMO cotton? I am sure some of the clothing you are wearing is also petroleum based polyester. Both of those leave toxic residue in the skin, which you are absorbing right now.

Clothing is a necessary evil. The .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% GMO protein that you might be getting in your KerryGold butter if you choose the wrong stick during winter doesn't even come close to the toxins you expose yourself everyday, on purpose or not.

Could it be possible that the absurd amounts of butter you are ingesting on a daily basis might be causing some of your issues instead?

I might be neurotic as well but come on now.

Do I detect that we're becoming more and more at odds on the forum, John? Don't call me neurotic, please. I'll admit that readily on my own when I'm actually being neurotic. YOU ARE ALL FREAKING WRONG ABOUT KERRYGOLD! 

I think I'm the first person who's been criticized this much for the amount of butter I eat. If you can find something that's edible and enjoyable in such large amounts, not carbs, and inflammatory that I can replace it with, then by all means tell me. I'm even sensitive to coconut oil (kills good gut bacteria, too, folks—this is admitted by even Dave and he eats it in ORDER to kill off excess good bacteria, so he says in the Bulletproof book if you've read it). I do take days off butter sometimes, too, and I eat goat butter other times. No, the amount of butter isn't a problem. Dave and so many other case studies have shown that the more butter you eat from good sources, the better. I've never actually met someone with a butter sensitivity.

I changed to Trickling Springs yesterday, and it seems to have made a difference, like I said. The GMO is definitely a significant issue in Kerrygold. I don't think anyone knows how much is in it at any given time. Now I'm even more sure of this than ever, because they're from so many different independent farms. It's almost like single-estate coffee. You don't want too many sources, because you don't know where it's coming from or what's getting thrown in the mix. I don't need to tell you all anymore, what the things that you eat eats matters. We all generally agree with this. You're the one spreading misinformation, John. Not me.

Stuff that you eat is a lot more important than the clothes on your skin. I do have to be careful what I wear. I bought organic cotton sheets, and I couldn't sleep in them. I actually do better with synthetic stuff that's aired out already of its chemicals. Your bringing up something like that is ridiculous. Complete poppycock. If I have narrowed down a food sensitivity for a very believable reason, I think I know better than you what my body is reacting to.

This forum is supposed to be supportive. At this point, I might have to abandon this thread, it's getting so ridiculously negative. My wife won't even go on the forums, because there is so much adversity with stuff like this. I told her, yeah, there's a lot of testosterone, and you really have to stand your ground. This just freaking sucks. I'm sorry. The food sensitivities are stressful enough. I don't need this.

I would love to try it, but it's too expensive. The Trickling Springs that I can get locally is only $1 more per bar, and it fixes the problem.

edited January 2015

Sorry, not looking to be a jerk here or anything (it's possible I'm just misinformed), but do we even have any proof of these supposedly inflammatory proteins that come specifically from GMOs and of their ending up in milk? This whole premise that the GMO feed even matters (especially in such miniscule quantities) just seems specious to me.

To look at it another way, while they may not be the most BP cows, using their vibration platforms and mega-dosing UA while wearing their blue-blockers every day, consuming 3% of feed from GMOs during a few months in the year hardly makes them "unhealthy" cows. Those cows are doing the 97/3 plan like some paleo dieters do the 80/20. Those cows seem pretty BP to me, all things considered. Their snacking on a bit of GMO is tantamount to their having a cheat day now and then, of them having a Snickers bar or a burger with a bun on it, in a way.

I think I meant to say inflammatory toxins passed on to the fat. But it could be proteins, too. I thought I explained it pretty well otherwise, though, in my comments about mammals passing toxins on to milk. I don't know what's worse, honestly. Probably the toxins. Fat-soluble toxins get passed along pretty easily. If you've eaten a ton of GMO corn tortillas at some point in your life, then GMO corn, wheat, or soy coming through the milk and ultimately the butterfat can be a problem for you. Obviously it was for me. 

If any of you have heard of BT in corn, then you'd understand that it's a bacterial toxin that they engineer GMO corn to produce, which perforates the guts of insects and ultimately kills them. BT from corn, or maybe some other GMO grain, that has it gets into Kerrygold cows' feed, they pass it on through their milk into my butter. I eat it, it kills bacteria in my gut/perforates my gut, both of which make it leaky, I start to burp and feel like crap instantaneously after eating a tablespoon of it. 

(Actually, here's a better link, because that one seems to be BT-apologist to some extent): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/bt-corn_b_2442072.html

Bada-bing, Bada-boom. Perhaps you'd all understand a low-glycemic index diet better. The science is there, and GMO doesn't matter, because IT WORKS!!! Food sensitivities and lack of pesticides be damned! Caution to the wind! Sorry for the sarcasm.

To quote the article from Huffington: 

"Last year, doctors at Sherbrooke University Hospital in Quebec found Bt toxin in the blood of:

• 93 percent of pregnant women tested

• 80 percent of umbilical blood in their babies

• 67 percent of non-pregnant women"

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015

Do I detect that we're becoming more and more at odds on the forum, John? Don't call me neurotic, please. I'll admit that readily on my own when I'm actually being neurotic. YOU ARE ALL FREAKING WRONG ABOUT KERRYGOLD! 

I think I'm the first person who's been criticized this much for the amount of butter I eat. If you can find something that's edible and enjoyable in such large amounts, not carbs, and inflammatory that I can replace it with, then by all means tell me. I'm even sensitive to coconut oil (kills good gut bacteria, too, folks—this is admitted by even Dave and he eats it in ORDER to kill off excess good bacteria, so he says in the Bulletproof book if you've read it). I do take days off butter sometimes, too, and I eat goat butter other times. No, the amount of butter isn't a problem. Dave and so many other case studies have shown that the more butter you eat from good sources, the better. I've never actually met someone with a butter sensitivity.

I changed to Trickling Springs yesterday, and it seems to have made a difference, like I said. The GMO is definitely a significant issue in Kerrygold. I don't think anyone knows how much is in it at any given time. Now I'm even more sure of this than ever, because they're from so many different independent farms. It's almost like single-estate coffee. You don't want too many sources, because you don't know where it's coming from or what's getting thrown in the mix. I don't need to tell you all anymore, what the things that you eat eats matters. We all generally agree with this. You're the one spreading misinformation, John. Not me.

Stuff that you eat is a lot more important than the clothes on your skin. I do have to be careful what I wear. I bought organic cotton sheets, and I couldn't sleep in them. I actually do better with synthetic stuff that's aired out already of its chemicals. Your bringing up something like that is ridiculous. Complete poppycock. If I have narrowed down a food sensitivity for a very believable reason, I think I know better than you what my body is reacting to.

This forum is supposed to be supportive. At this point, I might have to abandon this thread, it's getting so ridiculously negative. My wife won't even go on the forums, because there is so much adversity with stuff like this. I told her, yeah, there's a lot of testosterone, and you really have to stand your ground. This just freaking sucks. I'm sorry. The food sensitivities are stressful enough. I don't need this.

I try my best not to spread misinformation, but I make mistakes I am only human. I am anti-GMO, always have been always will be. But it is inescapable. GMO's are inescapable unless you are filthy rich. I believe in limiting sources I truly do, but sometimes I believe that most of the time, some of us on here suffer from a combination of Orthorexia and OCD about it.

I know what it is to be sick, do not think you are the only person in the world Rob. I am glad you are getting better I truly am. If you want to obsess about everything that goes into your body it will cause more anxiety in your life, then just doing your best. You are going to worry yourself into an early grave.

If you want to warn new people to the forums about Kerry gold and how it might possible contain micro amounts of GMO proteins, go ahead. If they can find local sources that are better, more power to them. We are all eating better than we did in the past, isn't that what truly matters.

You can eat too much fat. I am sorry but it is possible Rob rather you want to believe it or not.

Sorry, if I sounded cranky towards you, I guess I am. People on this forums know that I am here to help.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• The greatest GF butter is going to have fluoride, environmental toxins (dioxins), estrogens, MAP, etc.  It's not a good idea to overeat butter long term - but we shouldn't be afraid of it since it is so tasty and such a good form of fat - everything has its trade-offs.  When it comes to Kerrygold, it's about to become a bit more imperfect for the season - like my bacon.  It's just not worth being a dick to yet another set of farmers to find out whether I can get something marginally better when KG is so available, convenient and cheap.  

With respect, I think you are being a bit over-sensitive here.  Take a 90 mile drive north and I'll buy you a float for some of that Tickling Springs butter you got.

edited January 2015

I try my best not to spread misinformation, but I make mistakes I am only human. I am anti-GMO, always have been always will be. But it is inescapable. GMO's are inescapable unless you are filthy rich. I believe in limiting sources I truly do, but sometimes I believe that most of the time, some of us on here suffer from a combination of Orthorexia and OCD about it.

I know what it is to be sick, do not think you are the only person in the world Rob. I am glad you are getting better I truly am. If you want to obsess about everything that goes into your body it will cause more anxiety in your life, then just doing your best. You are going to worry yourself into an early grave.

If you want to warn new people to the forums about Kerry gold and how it might possible contain micro amounts of GMO proteins, go ahead. If they can find local sources that are better, more power to them. We are all eating better than we did in the past, isn't that what truly matters.

You can eat too much fat. I am sorry but it is possible Rob rather you want to believe it or not.

Sorry, if I sounded cranky towards you, I guess I am. People on this forums know that I am here to help.

That's alright, man. Just surprising when you seemed to be defending GMOs, hehe. I am more concerned about the Bt toxins in GMO-fed food right now than anything.

I only obsess about what's going into my body when my condition is worsening. I had some weird symptoms and incidental formaldehyde exposure that made things weird for awhile. Could be anything, but I do think it's important to look into hidden sources of GMOs. I'm going off Kerrygold for good probably, and I think it would be an awesome thing if we could rally support from all of Kerrygold's huge Paleo/Bulletproof/Primal customer base and boycott so that they'll change their evil ways. We are just enabling them at this point.

It kills me that on the Kerrygold forum where they admit the 3% (only an estimate) GMO feed, they try to subtly slip in that the supplemental feed grains "are important for the health of the animals. They are used to give the cows a healthy and balanced blend of nutrients, providing them with protein, energy and fiber." This is total BS (or cow dung). Plenty of cows are grass/hay-fed year round and are doing just fine. They just don't taste as good, LOL.

It'd be very difficult to eat too much fat I think. Jimmy Moore was losing weight eating like 85-90% fat (or more—can't remember the exact amount). Not that he's the epitome of good health by any means. However, when he was losing weight in the recent past, it was on "too much fat." Fat is the least inflammatory macronutrient. I can't speak for whether it causes any other problems, but in my experience, I wasn't able to reach a limit. If you start gaining weight on lots of fat, it is probably from a hidden source of toxins in what you're eating, or you're combining it with too many carbs too often (or too much protein).

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015

"are important for the health of the animals. They are used to give the cows a healthy and balanced blend of nutrients, providing them with protein, energy and fiber." is not BS. Cow diet is micromanaged because it directly affects how much milk (and its quality) the cow produces.  They need more nutrients and calories when lactating, simple as that. No serious commercial operation would risk the health of cows by not supplementing with grains during winter times. Not one. Read any agriculture book if you don't believe this - you are misinformed. 

I still can't tell if you are seriously this zealous or just trolling us hard.

edited January 2015

"are important for the health of the animals. They are used to give the cows a healthy and balanced blend of nutrients, providing them with protein, energy and fiber." is not BS. Cow diet is micromanaged because it directly affects how much milk (and its quality) the cow produces. They need more nutrients and calories when lactating, simple as that. No serious commercial operation would risk the health of cows by not supplementing with grains during winter times. Not one. Read any agriculture book if you don't believe this - you are misinformed.

I still can't tell if you are seriously this zealous or just trolling us hard.

I'm absolutely this zealous against GMOs. Not a troll, LOL. I'd be more likely to think you are all trolls for supporting (or at least condoning) GMOs on the Bulletproof forum. It's flipping insane!

The reason I called BS is because there are so many people raising cows 100% grass-fed/grass-finished. Are you saying they're lying about this when they claim it? I have always heard/read that when cows eat grains, it slowly starts to acidify their guts and kill them. I've never heard that it helps them in any way. Please show me the research. I personally know a grass-fed farmer, and she assures me that her cows are 100% grass-fed/grass-finished. There are also tons of butters that claim that, too. I seriously doubt they would get away with lying. Please explain this to me.

100% grass-fed/grass-finished beef is one of the staples of the Bulletproof/Paleo diet. You are telling me that cows need to have grains during the wintertime to live. Seriously? Are you trolling me? What forum am I on?

^ This.

Is the marginal benefit worth the marginal effort required?

Yes, and it's also worth the margarine effort.

• just had a stick of kerry gold an hour ago and Im still alive. 

Watch my Stand Up Comedy Video online :)

Please Subscribe to my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQI92eERrCc

• just had a stick of kerry gold an hour ago and Im still alive. 

RGBREC has a legitimate concern that he has never expressed as life threatening.  Just about everybody who lives the Bulletproof lifestyle for a while has to draw lines as to how much work they will do to avoid xyz (sugar, gluten, soy, pesticides, GMOs, AGEs, BPA - the list is kind of endless).  The biggest challenge for us tends to be that nobody else in the world thinks there is anything wrong with any of them because none of these things are deadly.  

I don't know about the rest of you, but I put up with a lot of shit socially to live this lifestyle, and nothing would gratify me more than to see a piano fall on someone right after he smugly tells me "Look at me - I just ate a pizza that wasn't grass-fed and I didn't die!"

Grass fed Cows for meat are fed differently than grass fed milking cows, dry dead grass isn't enough for milk producing cows in the winter months, supplementing with grain produces more milk, meat cows are ok with hay in winter but it's not ideal albeit temporary.

That's interesting. I really had no idea. I'll talk to my meat vendor about it.