Labs After One Year! Please Critique, Challenge, Advise...

For those curious, here are some highlights after my tumultuous year. It was a wonderful and stressful time that included a 100% career change, switching shifts, staring grad school, and getting engaged! Oh, and living _somewhat_ bulletproof. 

In case you want points of reference for the data below: I do BPIF just about every weekdays, excluding from holidays or when traveling. My typical day consists of 2 contigo mugs with coffee and 1-2 tbs of grass-fed butter, 1 tsp mct, & xylitol, cacao powder vanilla and/or cinnamon). I eat a lot of pastured eggs, pastured/organic chicken, fish, bacon and grass fed beef 2-3x a month. 

I did too little exercising and too much eating out this past year.  This is because of poor planning and not successfully balancing my health with work, personal life and graduate school. Done with the excuses!  I have a lot of carbohydrates most evenings which prevent me from pushing far or at all into ketosis. I think this might be holding me back. I have protein-fasted once, with AMAZING results. 

Current supplements: Vitamins A, D, K2, B12, copper, Krill or fish oil, iodine, selenium, magnesium at amounts right at or around the recommendations.

HDL 58

LDL 126

Triglycerides 97

Total Cholesterol 203

Apo B 95

lp(a) 23

vLDL-c 10

hs-CRP .8

25-Hydroxy Vitamin D 65

Vitamin b12 1796 (!!!)

RBC Magnesium 5.7

My observations and thoughts: 

• LDL, triglycerides, and apo B are all higher than I'd hoped. I'm hoping this is  think this is more to  blaming this on doing very little exercise. To improve them, I've started more frequent and consistent high-intensity exercise. Sprint intervals, pull-ups, kettle bells, etc 2-3x per week. Also less snacking on nuts and less going off the bandwagon at suppertime or at the family's house on weekends. I will really miss massaman curry and the occasional slice of cheesecake.
  • My hs-CRP (Inflammation) is awesome! Woo?
  • My vitamin B12 level is from one jarrow methyl b-12 lozenge per day. Plus lots of meat, fish, and eggs. Should I even bother continuing to supplement this or quit while I'm ahead? 

Advice, opinion, fire away! 

Comments

• Nice results.

For triglycerides, the first question you want to ask is: What about fruit? My understanding is that the fructose in fruit goes straight to liver and gets turned into triglycerides.

LDL has been a tough one for me. While my hs-CRP has steadily declined over the year, my LDL has yo-yoed.  First, it was 131, then 82... and most recently 101. My hs-CRP has gone from 1.27 to .7 in that time. I'm certainly perplexed, but my hormone panel suggests I have bigger fish to fry. Let me know if you dig up anything interesting.

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• Fire zombie, thanks for the input! 

For dessert I'll have a few squares of dark chocolate a day. I really don't each much fruit. 2-3 times per week I'll have a banana with cinnamon, cacao, a spoonful of almond butter and grass-fed yoghurt in the evenings.

Wondering if foods fried in bad oils might also be to blame? 

• Triglycerides:

You could be eating too much: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/triglycerides/ART-20048186

LDL:

"In times of infection or stress, LDL levels always need to rise to protect the cell to make more cholesterol to make hormones and improve intracellular signaling." http://jackkruse.com/hormone-cascade-101/

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• Hm... Why just 1 tsp MCT? Dave suggests 1-2 TBSP, in his BPC recipe - that's 3-6 times what you are doing (a tsp is 1/3 of a tbsp) 

You might want to increase that, you're probably skimping yourself out of some good benefits, including encouraging ketosis.

• PS good for you sticking with it as well as you did even in a big year!

• Firezombie,

I'm not sure why I even mentioned triglycerides in the first place. Mine went up slightly, but overall they look fine. I doubt it relates to any kind of active infection. I did get sick this year, but everything I hear suggests that is inevitable for a new teacher. In my case I was lucky enough to get Bronchitus. All gone now, and I feel great. 

Regarding HDL/LDL, I'm actually very surprised that my HDL dropped slightly while I've been taking in lots of grass-fed butter.

My top priorities are getting more/better quality sleep and exercising more to up my energy level and to lower my LDL and APO B. Should be easy-peasy, right?  :-P

Mmejoanna,

Thanks for the input. All the stories about "disaster pants" made me reticent to experiment with higher doses, despite having a pretty healthy gut. I upped my dosage of mct oil today and will continue gradually. I definitely felt a mental "buzz" and mental acuity that was just about on par with what I felt when I first tried bulletproof coffee. Despite not getting enough good sleep. 

One thing I will say is that despite not having found tolerance level for MCT, I can noticeably feel brain octane oil after I eat it. Kind of like a gassy, chest-inflammation feeling. I don't typically take probiotics. Maybe I should start?  

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited January 2015

Thanks for the input. All the stories about "disaster pants" made me reticent to experiment with higher doses, despite having a pretty healthy gut. I upped my dosage of mct oil today and will continue gradually. I definitely felt a mental "buzz" and mental acuity that was just about on par with what I felt when I first tried bulletproof coffee. Despite not getting enough good sleep. 

One thing I will say is that despite not having found tolerance level for MCT, I can noticeably feel brain octane oil after I eat it. Kind of like a gassy, chest-inflammation feeling. I don't typically take probiotics. Maybe I should start?  

With MCT I went from a teaspoon to a tablespoon over 3 days with no problems, then went to a tablespoon of Brain Octane from there also with no problems. Though some people do have a more dramatic. I think you'll be OK even at 1tsp increments. 

Probiotics manufacturers have a very clear financial interest in marketing their products as a daily supplement, but imagine if other species repopulation efforts were done this way: we think Yellowstone National Park is low on wolves? No problem, we'll just add 5 wolves a day, every day, forever. Clearly not a thought-through ecosystem adjustment, and things would get violent pretty quickly.

You say you have a pretty healthy gut, which means you have a delicate balance in your gut (or, perhaps, a changing ecosystem that nonetheless achieves a balanced end result.) Introducing new species in large amounts is not recommended if you like this balance. If you want to do it anyway, I'd recommend at least doing it over a finite period of time. Like you might describe taking "a 2 week course of antibiotics," I'd try to think of probiotics the same way. Otherwise, you're just sending in new species blindly. 

As for your WFX results, overall I'd say they're healthy. Those of us that have an increase in LDL and ApoB from this lifestyle tend to have much more pronounced impacts, including me, and I have determined it's not a big deal, especially with low inflammation. [EDIT: not a big deal unless particle count, LDL-P and/or ApoB is very, very high. Then it's something to consider addressing.] WFX kinda has to color some numbers orange/red to avoid potential lawsuits, but if you lead a healthy lifestyle there are mitigating factors. If you are especially concerned about cholesterol, I recommend Peter Attia's "Straight Dope on Cholesterol" blog series, or the talk he gave by the same name on YouTube. 

• I think you will find this interview with Chris Masterjohn relevant: http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Cholesterol%2C+Vitamins+D3+and+K2%2C+heart+disease%2C+sulfates%2C+LDL%2C+%E2%80%93+Masterjohn+Interview+Jan+2013

High LDL may suggest a lack of T3.

Start here if you're impatient:

Well, interestingly, I do believe that the cholesterol ratios and the particle size are really most likely indirect measurements of the more important foundational physiological process, which is the turnover of the LDL, as really being the primary culprit.