Sleep And Carbs

Hi all:

First, thank you - these forums have been invaluable.

I have been BP IF for about a week and have experimenting with carb intake at night for optimum sleep. It seems the higher I am (ie a cup or so of butternut squash, a spoon of raw honey and a lot of cruciferous veggies, which is roughly 70g/55g gross/net carbs, the more I sleep and the better quality sleep I have. I also take GABA and 5-HTP for sleep.

My question: will this impede performance in other areas? Fat loss? Ketogensis? Cognitive f(x)? Etc.?

Best,

KT

Comments

• Personally, I have an absolutely crap next morning if I eat carbs before bed. I perform far better without them.

On carbs, my IQ is 60% of what it would be in ketosis.

On another note, Any time you elevate brain tryptophan levels from a carb source (e.g. honey), you are leading towards insulin resistance.

Biggest takeaway after several years as a hardcore biohacker: think long-term. Focus on health first before adding in boosters. It works a lot better.
  • Thanks for your reply!

The honey was a new addition as I read on a sleep hack blog from Dave that a tsp. of raw honey helps with sleep.

Anecdotally, when I go down to less than 25 g of carbs, I have trouble falling and staying asleep.
  • It's an N=1 and females are definitely different than males... I get 100% on my sleep cycle app when I have a little carb before bed... check out Kiefer and Carb Night/ Carb Backloading...

• Thanks Megs.

Do you mind me asking what type of carb and how much?

The difference on my sleep cycle app between lower than 25 and around 40g-60g of nighttime carbs (the only carbs I eat) is epic.
  • Try 200 grams of carbs at night instead.
  • Elevated brain tryptophan levels from a carb source?  What does that mean?  Leading towards insulin resistance? 

Sounds like a bunch of bro science.  Carbs don't have Trp, they merely assist in transport.  To say that leads to insulin resistance is a huge overstep.

Also honey is 40% fructose, which requires no insulin, and most people are taking a tiny amount of honey. 

Personally, I have an absolutely crap next morning if I eat carbs before bed. I perform far better without them.

On another note, Any time you elevate brain tryptophan levels from a carb source (e.g. honey), you are leading towards insulin resistance.

• Do a Web search on "low carb sleep problems" and you'll see this is a common problem. My sleep improved when I added a modest amount of "good" carbs in the evening.

Run some n=1 experiments, and check out Dave's sleep hacks post.

Good luck!
  • pd85pd85
    edited January 2015

Most people sleep MUCH better when consuming a decent amount of carbs at night. Carbs are not the enemy, they are a friend that when used correctly produce great results for what we desire. 

• So I'm doing Carbnite (eat under 30g carbs for 6 days then have lots of carbs after 7pm on the 7th) after a long while of doing moderate carbs. I cannot sleep, so I tried the honey trick....and it worked! HOWEVER today I feel very hungry and want carbs... the opposite of what I want (my wedding is next month).  I can't take MCT's at night because they keep me up and give me anxiety, any thoughts on what I can do? I even gain some cm in my wait since yesterday. 

Side notes:

Melatonin works but I'm scared it's going to mess up my hormones

• So I'm doing Carbnite (eat under 30g carbs for 6 days then have lots of carbs after 7pm on the 7th) after a long while of doing moderate carbs. I cannot sleep, so I tried the honey trick....and it worked! HOWEVER today I feel very hungry and want carbs... the opposite of what I want (my wedding is next month).  I can't take MCT's at night because they keep me up and give me anxiety, any thoughts on what I can do? I even gain some cm in my wait since yesterday. 

When was your carb nite in relation to trying honey in relation to gaining cm? Gaining cm in your (assuming waist) is unlikely from honey unless it's triggering some gut bacteria to produce gas, but should be expected when you eat a bunch of carbs which will draw water into your gut for digestion. 

You can have MCT in the morning to help you get back to fat burning mode and induce satiety. 

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015

Elevated brain tryptophan levels from a carb source?  What does that mean?  Leading towards insulin resistance? 

Sounds like a bunch of bro science.  Carbs don't have Trp, they merely assist in transport.  To say that leads to insulin resistance is a huge overstep.

Also honey is 40% fructose, which requires no insulin, and most people are taking a tiny amount of honey. 

I second this. Not all carbs are Evil Carbs. Not all carbs do the same thing. We have data, science, vegetables, that kind of thing.

Personally, I have an absolutely crap next morning if I eat carbs before bed. I perform far better without them.

Dante, please explain how eating carbs at night would stop you from being in ketosis in the morning, how carbs lower your IQ by 40%, the IQ metrics you used to determine that, and how raising brain tryptophan levels causes insulin resistance.

• When was your carb nite in relation to trying honey in relation to gaining cm? Gaining cm in your (assuming waist) is unlikely from honey unless it's triggering some gut bacteria to produce gas, but should be expected when you eat a bunch of carbs which will draw water into your gut for digestion. 

You can have MCT in the morning to help you get back to fat burning mode and induce satiety. 

Carb nite was saturday 1/31, honey was monday 2/2, waist gain was tuesday 2/3. I think you're right about the gas... started doing the resistant starch again after stopping for a while... and that is certainly gas producing. Will try a smaller amount of honey next time, though last nigh I was able to sleep without anything, maybe my body is finally getting back to being more fat adapted.