Help To Build Daily Meal Plan!

If a BP diet professional could please help me set up a meal plan throughout the week as I have switched over from being Vegan after Dave's podcast on the Joe Rogan show and pretty much shutting me up and trying to be bulletproof!

I have BP coffee, MCT oil, upgraded vanilla and cocoa powder and kerrygold butter. Also have access to pretty much all kinds of grass fed meats, pasture raised eggs and all organic fruits and veggies as well as Kaizen Naturals protein powder.

I work 7am - 3pm (Monday - Friday)

Gym usually 3:30 - 5:30

Sleep usually 11/12ish - 6am

6'3, 185 pounds, 9% body fat.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Are you interested in just your food choices being Bulletproof, or are you into Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting as well? This is an important distinction before you can consider your meal plan. Both are simple, but very different in terms of timing...
  • Hi Reis, You mention the difference between BP Fasting and BP meal choices - I'm looking to not only improve my physical health and mental state, I want more energy and most importantly I want to lose some FAT and get back to the body I had a few years ago. I was thinking I would start with intermittent fasting, is this something I should do for a few days - or weeks at first? Is BPIF when you have the BP Coffee in the morning and only eat between 2pm-8pm?

So basically, I was thinking, please correct me if I'll be going about this wrong, but setting up my days like this for the first couple weeks then once I've started losing the kgs (admittedly I don't have massive amounts to lose, but it's significant enough to me!) then start eating more often? Appreciate anything you can say to clarify this for me. Thanks!
  • Hi Reis,

More interested in Bulletproof food choices and the link to recovery. I played university basketball and always wondered why my body always took so long to recover whether it was soreness or overall fatigue. Having researched some of Dave's key points on the Bulletproof diet I am going to give it a try and see if recovery now from regular strength and conditioning will fair any better. Only thing is I have no direction as to what meals to eat and what exactly to buy.
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    'Tony wrote:

Hi Reis,

More interested in Bulletproof food choices and the link to recovery. I played university basketball and always wondered why my body always took so long to recover whether it was soreness or overall fatigue. Having researched some of Dave's key points on the Bulletproof diet I am going to give it a try and see if recovery now from regular strength and conditioning will fair any better. Only thing is I have no direction as to what meals to eat and what exactly to buy.
    Did you get Dave's BP food buying guide? You can get it by subscribing to his email list on the site. But in general it's just meat + veggies + some fat source (typically butter/coconut oil) = staple.
  • 'Mykll wrote:

Hi Reis, You mention the difference between BP Fasting and BP meal choices - I'm looking to not only improve my physical health and mental state, I want more energy and most importantly I want to lose some FAT and get back to the body I had a few years ago. I was thinking I would start with intermittent fasting, is this something I should do for a few days - or weeks at first? Is BPIF when you have the BP Coffee in the morning and only eat between 2pm-8pm?

Yes, though you can place the 8-hour window anywhere that fits in your schedule, that is the essence of it. If you choose 2-8 as your feeding window, eat as much as you choose from the BP diet, and outside of that window eat nothing but BP coffee as needed. Supplements and other zero-calorie items are fine as well, but as far as food keep it strictly to the BP coffee during the "fast".

'Mykll wrote:

So basically, I was thinking, please correct me if I'll be going about this wrong, but setting up my days like this for the first couple weeks then once I've started losing the kgs (admittedly I don't have massive amounts to lose, but it's significant enough to me!) then start eating more often? Appreciate anything you can say to clarify this for me. Thanks!

You can try the BP fasting for a few days a week, but the more consistent you are the more you will see results sooner. Also remember that everybody is different. If you don't have a lot of weight to lose, you may not see results as soon as someone who needs to drop 20+ kgs. Be patient and feel it out. If a couple of weeks is sufficient, great! But don't get disappointed if you don't get your planned results right away. Consider the whole picture, including how you feel...results catch up over time, but this is as important as anything.
  • 'Tony wrote:

Hi Reis,

The BP diet page is as descriptive as you'll need to get the food choices dialed in. This is very similar to Paleo, and I can say from my Paleo experience that recovery is much better when the diet is super-clean and dialed in properly. Follow Dave's guidelines and you should be good to go.

As far as additional recovery items, you may want to consider some supplements and/or body hacks. I do Crossfit 3-5 times per week (far more than Dave recommends but I'm addicted) and I take whey protein immediately after my workouts, which is very helpful. I also make sure to take fish oil, krill oil, and/or cod liver oil to reduce inflammation. For fatigue toward the end of a hard training week you may want to look into Dave's earthing mat for sleeping. I was leary at first but it was inexpensive enough where I gave it a try, and I can honestly tell you I've never felt more rested than when I used this thing for sleep...it makes a tremendous difference. And it's hard not to recommend increasing your mobility by watching the videos at Mobility WOD. It's had the biggest effect on my recovery, and ensures I remain injury free. Best of luck getting off the ground!
  • Thank you so much for the information, will defintely keep you posed as to how everything is going, thanks Reis!!
  • Had my first bulletproof coffee at around 6am today and still have elevated energy levels at work a couple hours later, regular coffee would give me my first slow decreasing crash already! Did my daily lumosity report and totally felt so much better with bulletproof coffee!
  • Also, Reis can you critique my meal! I had bulletproof coffee at 6am and since I'm not looking to cut too much weight I am going to have a banana at around Noon! First meal will be grassfed chicken, small portion of white rice and spinnach at 2pm. After the gym I will have a protein shake (Kaizen Naturals listed by some people in bulletproof forum) blended with Kale right after the gym at around 5pm. Dinner at 7 with 3 free range eggs, some type of vegees and should I have some sort of carb with dinner. Sleep at 11pm.
  • edited December 2012
    Tony:

If fat loss were a priority I would say move the banana to the evening slot, but everything looks AOK from here. Be sure the rice is as thoroughly-washed as possible, and maybe throw in a sweet potato for the evening starch.

Something to be aware of is the Kaizen Naturals protein contains soy lecithin, which is used in the process of turning the whey into powder. Although it differs from the soy protein that is notorious for giving people digestive issues, triggering allergies etc, it seems to be less harmful, but it's still soy. However, Protein Factory sells a New Zealand whey (FDA refuses to acknowledge anyone who claims a whey protein to be grass-fed, so as long as it's New Zealand-based you're OK) that uses sunflower lecithin, and you can choose what you add to the natural whey. I add natural vanilla and stevia and it's as clean as you can get...AND it's $35 after shipping (US) for two pounds. Maybe check that out as an alternative next time you're in the market for protein.
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    'Tony wrote:

Also, Reis can you critique my meal! I had bulletproof coffee at 6am and since I'm not looking to cut too much weight I am going to have a banana at around Noon! First meal will be grassfed chicken, small portion of white rice and spinnach at 2pm. After the gym I will have a protein shake (Kaizen Naturals listed by some people in bulletproof forum) blended with Kale right after the gym at around 5pm. Dinner at 7 with 3 free range eggs, some type of vegees and should I have some sort of carb with dinner. Sleep at 11pm.
    There is no such thing as grassfed chicken, they are not herbivores.

In any case... if you need ideas for meals, look up paleo recipes (just don't get sucked into their agenda, BP is superior). Most paleo recipes are BP proof.

Ideally you'll get into a cycle of being in and out of ketosis. This means that ketosis stretches would have, generally, less than 50g of carbs for those days. This usually means no rice, fruit or tubers on those days. But since you are switching from being a vegan, focus on having good staples, then tune. Not that important as a first step, but ideal.

Don't forget this is a HIGH FAT diet, this means lean meats plus rice is NOT ideal as that has no fat in it whatsoever. A quick fix is to just drip on that butter.
  • Appreciate all the feedback everybody!
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

Don't forget this is a HIGH FAT diet, this means lean meats plus rice is NOT ideal as that has no fat in it whatsoever. A quick fix is to just drip on that butter.

Agreed! I try to cook everything in ghee or butter - the more fats, the merrier!

No sorcery, just science. 

• So today I used 3 tbspns of butter in my BP coffee and it tasted much better, is that much alright?
  • 'Tony wrote:

So today I used 3 tbspns of butter in my BP coffee and it tasted much better, is that much alright?

I cut the Kerry Gold bar into four pieces, and use one of the four each time...seems one of those is pretty close to 3 tablespoons if not more...