On Many Days I Completely Can't Focus On Anything, But Some Days I Am In The Flow/zone

I am grain-free since April 2012, fully Bulletproof with Autoimmune Protocol, since August 2014, lots of grass-fed beef every day, fish, 250 g Kerrygold daily, zero sugar, zero alcohol, zero nightshades, not even almost anything which is disallowed on the Autoimmune Protocol (besides Kerrygold). Taking daily Magnesium 400mg, Calcium-D-Glucarate 1500 mg, Acerola Vitamin C 750 mg, Vitamin E 200 IU, and Vitamin D 5000 IU every second day.

Still, on many days I absolutely can't focus on anything. I start doing something, and after a few minutes overwhelming thoughts to do something else come up, and I just can't. Is this brain fog?

But from time to time I get into an amazing Flow:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

and then I am all good. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to get myself in the flow more often.

Is there anything else I can try before getting into nootropics? I already ordered CILTEP because the amount of time I lose being unproductive, when I am not in the Zone, is absolutely ridiculous.

The Bulletproof diet is supposed to make me focused, more productive, clear mind, no brain fog, and... it did to a certain extent, because it was worse before going Bulletproof, and in fact I now am better then before, I wake up full of energy every day at the same time, have a checklist of things to get done, and a few of them get done in the morning, as long as they are simple... But then some time in the day, usually quite early, I lose focus, and have all those thoughts to do something else then what I am doing, to which I have not enough willpower to not give into. Unless I get in the Flow that is, but it doesn't happen often enough.

Is there anything else I should try besides CILTEP?

I write this message today, because although I had quite a few productive days the last days, today was one of the worst days again! It was all well since I woke-up till 12:40 in the morning (I am recording what I am spending time on in a custom application I wrote myself), and then I had to do exercise, and I couldn't focus on it, I did like 2 squats, and then I had overwhelming thoughts to do something else, like have a walk, sort some old papers, clean the kitchen, take a bath, and before I noticed its 20:00! Almost 8 hours of my life wasted again.

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

There's a podcast episode with Steven Kotler all about flow. He has written a book about it as well.

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/9718-flow-book/

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Zero Carb can be bad longterm. Bulletproof is not zero carb...look at the infographic VERY CAREFULLY and see your mistakes...

If you have been zero carb for that long try to reintegrate some carbs over time. Follow the BP info graphic.

Then start having refeeds once a week when you feel you can digest carbs again. Then see if you have problems with your cortisol... try potassium. Try salt in the am with some protein snack...

Try taking an amino acid supplement.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Zero Carb can be bad longterm. Bulletproof is not zero carb...look at the infographic VERY CAREFULLY and see your mistakes...

If you have been zero carb for that long try to reintegrate some carbs over time. Follow the BP info graphic.

Then start having refeeds once a week when you feel you can digest carbs again. Then see if you have problems with your cortisol... try potassium. Try salt in the am with some protein snack...

Try taking an amino acid supplement.

I am NOT zero-carb, my carbs are about 50-60 grams per day, I even eat a whole tablespoon of raw honey before bed, also I eat lots of root vegetables, at least one fruit a day.

I drink a glass of water with 3 grams sea salt each day after wake-up, and then 7 grams of salt in my meals.

I also drink lots of rich homemade bone broth, 500 grams grass-fed beef a day, so I think I have more then enough amino-acids. But I also ordered some protein powder and BCAAs with my CILTEP from here:

http://www.naturalstacks.com/products/natural-protein

http://www.naturalstacks.com/collections/combo-packs/products/physical-performance-pack

I don't order from Bulletproof cause 40$ International shipping fee seems excessive. How come NaturalStacks can ship worldwide for 10$, Iherb for 5$ and UpgradedSelf has to charge 40$?

• More veggies. Sulfur, leafy greens, bright colors to feed mitochondria.

• More veggies. Sulfur, leafy greens, bright colors to feed mitochondria.

Can you post me some links to read more about how this will help with focus?

More veggies make me diarrhea.

Sulfur? You mean like more Alliums, garlic, onion, etc? Aren't they kryptonite?

There are not any leafy greens in the middle of the winter in Europe, and I try to eat vegetables which are local to where I live, and not transported from thousands of kilometers away.

• Can you post me some links to read more about how this will help with focus?

More veggies make me diarrhea.

Sulfur? You mean like more Alliums, garlic, onion, etc? Aren't they kryptonite?

There are not any leafy greens in the middle of the winter in Europe, and I try to eat vegetables which are local to where I live, and not transported from thousands of kilometers away.

Check out "Minding your mitochondria" on youtube. My thought is that anything from symptoms of ADHD to chronic illnesses like Alzheimer's can be largely attributed to starving the mitochondria by not eating enough vegetables. In short this means lots of b vitamins, sulfur, antioxidants, and hundreds of other beneficial compounds.

There are other supplements that can be taken to enhance and multiply mitochondria such as Dave's Unfair Advantage, but the above is BY FAR the most potent.

• Try L- theanine. I've taken a lot of nootropics over the past few years as I have been in school and am a long time sufferer of attention issues as well. It's nothing fancy, but wow. It calms my mind and when taken with caffeine creates a really good focus. It's cheap, too. 

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred
    Sounds like It could be raging cortisol levels on the bad focus days

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• Sounds like It could be raging cortisol levels on the bad focus days

Seems likely, as besides unfocused, I feel super stressed. Although I thought I am just super stressed because of the very fact I can't focus and get anything done. Maybe its a feedback loop?

Anyway what can I do to fix it? I have emWave2 but didn't have much luck with it, maybe I need some training. Get some other expensive neurofeedback device?

• Today I am going crazy. I woke-up 2 hours later then I wanted (either I didn't hear the alarm clock or it didn't ring), anyway, all was well for about an hour, until I realized to myself I am behind schedule of what I wanted to do today, and that realization put me so much stress, that since 3 hours, I can't get ANYTHING done, I sit down, do something for 30 seconds, and then stand up in panic, and walk, walk, around, repeating to myself that I must focus and get something done, and I just walk around in panic because that is not happening. As if some strange invisible force is preventing me to sit down and get anything done, it tells me to stand-up and just walk in circles around, thinking "panic panic". And this is going on now for about 3 hours, in which time I should have theoretically been able just to get the things done that I wanted to do, if I just could sit down calmly and get them done one by one. Which seems very easy. Only I can't. I feel like something which I completely don't understand is hapenning in my brain.

Based on one of the suggestions here I just swallowed 300 mg of L-theanine - three Jarrow 100 mg capsules, with a cup of green tea, as an experiment to try to calm myself down.

But I know that after a few hours, when I will feel that I TOTALLY wasted my day, and nothing will bring it back, and that's the most unproductive day I've ever had, and finally convince myself to give-up trying to make it productive, ONLY THEN I will calm down and finally sit down and get something done. Because this happens over and over, and I already know the pattern. It seems like I had to "touch the bottom", feel that I am in my lowest low of unproductivity, only then I will "bounce" from that bottom and start doing something, and all will be well. Until the next episode of what I just described....

• The L-theanine did not work for me - its now 2 hours later, and it didn't make me calm down, nor get anything done.

• Now its straight 5 hours since I can't force myself to get anything done. I can't force myself to focus on anything for more then half a minute. Even writing this post here, I write for about half a minute, stand-up, take a walk around the room for a few minutes, and then I can sit down for another half a minute to write some more.

The only thing I happen to be able to do is walk to some destination - this I can do without problems. In fact I got a note in my mailbox that CILTEP arrived today, and I went to the post office to pick it up. So now I have a box of CILTEP standing here, but its supposed to be taken on empty stomach, so I'll try it tomorrow. 

Today I have wasted 5 hours, this is so intense, this is stronger then me, I scream of desperation to find something to fix this. I don't really believe this is something CILTEP will fix, but I will try it tomorrow. This is so strong, I can't even keep sitting down browsing the Internet for longer then 1 minute, because then the panic that I haven't got anything done today kicks in, and I stand up, walk around trying to forget that I wasted so much time.

Not every day this what is happening with me is so strong, today its exceptionally strong. Today is for sure the strongest episode of this procrastination problem that I experienced this year. Heck, I don't even know if its procrastination, as I tried some proper procrastinating browsing some random blogs, and I can't even do that for a minute!

Its not about zero-carb, I ate plenty yesterday, over 100 grams, L-theanine doesn't help at all.

Leafy greens? I do eat some, not much, but at least a bit every day, and yesterday I in fact ate 176 grams of lettuce. 

I am desperate, there must be SOMETHING causing this, there must be some solution!

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

Now its straight 5 hours since I can't force myself to get anything done. I can't force myself to focus on anything for more then half a minute. Even writing this post here, I write for about half a minute, stand-up, take a walk around the room for a few minutes, and then I can sit down for another half a minute to write some more.

The only thing I happen to be able to do is walk to some destination - this I can do without problems. In fact I got a note in my mailbox that CILTEP arrived today, and I went to the post office to pick it up. So now I have a box of CILTEP standing here, but its supposed to be taken on empty stomach, so I'll try it tomorrow. 

Today I have wasted 5 hours, this is so intense, this is stronger then me, I scream of desperation to find something to fix this. I don't really believe this is something CILTEP will fix, but I will try it tomorrow. This is so strong, I can't even keep sitting down browsing the Internet for longer then 1 minute, because then the panic that I haven't got anything done today kicks in, and I stand up, walk around trying to forget that I wasted so much time.

Not every day this what is happening with me is so strong, today its exceptionally strong. Today is for sure the strongest episode of this procrastination problem that I experienced this year. Heck, I don't even know if its procrastination, as I tried some proper procrastinating browsing some random blogs, and I can't even do that for a minute!

Its not about zero-carb, I ate plenty yesterday, over 100 grams, L-theanine doesn't help at all.

Leafy greens? I do eat some, not much, but at least a bit every day, and yesterday I in fact ate 176 grams of lettuce. 

I am desperate, there must be SOMETHING causing this, there must be some solution!

Hey, I'm sorry no one responded to this. It seems like you could really use the communities help. How have you been doing since? Definitely sounds like raging cortisol levels. You need to get this under control as soon as possible. Are you fasting? I'd probably stop that. What is your carb consumption like? If it is low I would start eating at least 120g per day, divided between 3-4 meals.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• Hey, I'm sorry no one responded to this. It seems like you could really use the communities help. How have you been doing since? Definitely sounds like raging cortisol levels. You need to get this under control as soon as possible. Are you fasting? I'd probably stop that. What is your carb consumption like? If it is low I would start eating at least 120g per day, divided between 3-4 meals.

No, I am not fasting.

I wake-up at 05:00, drink a beverage with 75g butter around 06:00, then eat a 2000 kcal dinner around noon, and then eat supper around 18:00 for a total of over 3000 kcal, and sleep around 21:00.

My carb consumption (counting only starch+sugars on CRON-O-Meter) has been recently 86g per day (average of the last 14 days).

I have been taking 3 capsules of CILTEP immediately after wake-up for the last week Monday-Friday, and I have to say that it really works. Said that, the focus is not dramatically great, its not effortless, and I can still get distracted with CILTEP, and it does require some discipline on staying focused to get something done, so its not magic, BUT: the important thing is that I am able to focus and get something done if I try hard, on the days I take CILTEP.

It is said you are supposed to take weekends off CILTEP, and today is Saturday and I didn't take CILTEP after 5 consecutive days taking it, and now I can again see how bad it is when I do not take it - I am up already 6 hours, and I am stupidly switching between tasks, and didn't get much done. 

Although CILTEP somehow works, I still feel that there is something more to be fixed, and I shouldn't become so distracted, stressed and overwhelmed without it. As I do nave many days in life when I do great without CILTEP. I feel there is something else "broken" in me which is causing me to have this elevated cortisol, stressed overwhelming superpanic - when objectively there is really nothing that stressful happening - its just a self-fueling thing, that I am stressed about not getting as much done as I planned to, and getting hyperstressed about that fact, which in turn is preventing me to sit down and get something done even more, elevating my stress level even more... and so on.

Anyway the last week: Monday-Friday with CILTEP every day, was great, I didn't get any of that, just was doing what I wanted to do. From time to time I was getting distracted, but could get myself to focus on what I was doing rather quickly.

P.S. I also started taking Rosita Fermented Cod Liver Oil - teaspoon a day in the morning.