Itchy Throat After Brain Octane

I took a tablespoon of brain octane this morning and got an itchy throat. It might have been a coconut allergy,but what else could have caused it?

Comments

• I have had similar experiences every so often. Usually passes, but I would love to know the cause.
  • The chains of triglycerides found in medium chain triglyceride oil are actually small enough that some of them may pass through the lining of your throat if you drink them. This is not a problem or bad for you, but in some people it can cause itchiness. Since Brain Octane is the shortest chain of the triglycerides found in MCT oil, it might be more likely to happen or more noticeable. 

If you dilute it in Bulletproof coffee or a smoothie or soup, it's generally not noticeable. For me, if I take a tablepsoon straight, I notice it. 

At least for me, I can minimize it to the point where I don't mind it by chasing the shot of MCT with water or something else. So long as I don't let it coat my throat and sit there, I seem to be OK. 

This is also why you can put MCT on your skin and have it absorb. Not really a cost-effective skincare product, but if I have a drip running down the bottle I'll put it on my skin rather than wiping it up with a paper towel and throwing it out. 

• The chains of triglycerides found in medium chain triglyceride oil are actually small enough that some of them may pass through the lining of your throat if you drink them. This is not a problem or bad for you, but in some people it can cause itchiness. Since Brain Octane is the shortest chain of the triglycerides found in MCT oil, it might be more likely to happen or more noticeable. 

If you dilute it in Bulletproof coffee or a smoothie or soup, it's generally not noticeable. For me, if I take a tablepsoon straight, I notice it. 

At least for me, I can minimize it to the point where I don't mind it by chasing the shot of MCT with water or something else. So long as I don't let it coat my throat and sit there, I seem to be OK. 

This is also why you can put MCT on your skin and have it absorb. Not really a cost-effective skincare product, but if I have a drip running down the bottle I'll put it on my skin rather than wiping it up with a paper towel and throwing it out. 

Perhaps it could be an anaphylactic response too.

• It could, but if you're allergic to coconut, a product like Brain Ocatane is pure enough that it probably only contains those allergens at a parts per million level. Which, yes, could still cause anaphylaxis in some people. But having experienced the itchiness I think it's just the MCTs passing through your throat. 

You could rub some Brain Octane or even coconut oil or chunks of coconut on your inner wrist and see if you react, or take an allergy test. 

• And, not to minimize the riskiness of allergies, if many people report the same "itchy" feeling from straight brain octane oil (I've also experienced it a couple times), then to me that diminishes the likelihood that it's an allergy, if many people have the same thing and it passes off.

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

It could, but if you're allergic to coconut, a product like Brain Ocatane is pure enough that it probably only contains those allergens at a parts per million level. Which, yes, could still cause anaphylaxis in some people. But having experienced the itchiness I think it's just the MCTs passing through your throat. 

You could rub some Brain Octane or even coconut oil or chunks of coconut on your inner wrist and see if you react, or take an allergy test. 

ACH is correct Brain Octane would contain very little allergic proteins, if any, therefore a true allergic reaction to it would be extremely rare. Some people can ingest soybean oil or peanut oil even though they are allergic to either because it is a highly refined product with little allergic proteins in the final product.

It could be silent reflux from the oil or yeast die off.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• I've experienced that many times after taking MCT oil or coconut oil. I was always under the impression it was some sort of gritty residue left over from the process of making oil from a gritty plant like a coconut?

• Within minutes of taking 1 tsp Brain Octane oil, I am completely flushed from face to wrists and feet. Face feels hot and itchy. Feels awful. It passes but takes about 30 minutes. I will try smaller amount, maybe in different food (with hot coffee seems to bring it on faster/stronger) . I also plan to try XCT oil instead, mixed into something cold/not liquid.