Magnesium/potassium Reaction - Muscle Cramping

I used to take magnesium daily to help keep things "loose" and moving.  Eventually, I started to get stiff necks.  Now, if I take it once, almost every time, I get a stiff neck or my back totally locks up.

So, I stopped taking it, but what does this indicate?  I must be lacking something.

I also noticed that taking molasses as a potassium supplement now causes foot cramps or calf cramps.

I suspect calcium or sodium deficiency, but haven't had any improvement with calcium supplementation.  I am now experimenting with a high salt (Celtic sea salt) diet.  I should make this another topic, but I would swear the salt puts me in a really good mood... almost giddy and pumped about life.

Anyway, does anyone know why I would react to magnesium and potassium in this way?

Comments

• any conventional mineral supplement has the potential to clog receptor sites for a number of minerals, not just the ones you're taking.

this is because the body is not meant to digest ground rocks. that's a plant's job, we are meant to eat living minerals from plant or animals that have eaten these plants..

problem nowadays is that the soil has been depleted for fifty years, so no amount of plant matter a person eats will actually be nutritious enough to fully remineralize the body. and if the receptors for minerals are clogged with rocks like most people's are, well, that's the definition of screwed.

but that's just what life is like when you're born during a massive population cull.

there's one mineral supplement that I've found that's actually made the same way plants create living minerals. it works, I pay about $150 a month to have it around for two and a half people, haven't had a mineral related problem (or any problem, really) since I started taking it five years ago.

BUT I don't work for that company, so good luck stumbling across the same research I did and finding something like it for yourself.

• Perhaps you lack carbs.
  • Feel like I have to bump this thread. Has anyone else experienced overdoing it with magnesium or salt? I try counteracting with calcium carbonate and/or ground egg shells and I feel good. The potassium is always a problem, of course. I am doing lots of tomato paste, molasses, 300 g of leafy greens/day and the occasional potato.

I figure the best way is to switch to topical magnesium to let the body ration the intake itself.

• I wanted to drudge this topic up because I made a discovery, I think.

While my back and neck were cramping from magnesium (yes, I occasionally try again to see if anything has changed) I read something online about kidneys being involved in the process.  (I'm being vague because I don't remember exactly what I read.)  So, I figured I should just pop some kidney cleanse pills to see what happens.  Within an hour, the back cramping and ended.  I continued taking magnesium AND kidney cleanse pills together and did not get problems.  If I took magnesium alone, I would cramp again.

Now, about two months later, magnesium alone (without kidney cleanse pills) doesn't bother me one bit.

For anyone who wants to look up the ingredients, the kidney cleanse pills were called "Urinary Maintenance" from Nature's Sunshine. 

• There is quite a bit of ignorance here. Not a slam; nobody can know everything. But if you are going to supplement, READ. Electrolytes, of which are potassium, magnesium, calcium and sodium (and others) will affect a lot of things, including muscle function. Cramping can be simply a matter of depletion of one or more of these. Too much potassium supplementation will actually deplete you of magnesium, but magnesium supplementation will help the body absorb potassium. It’s not simple, so get informed before messing with your balances.

Electrolytes

Electrolytes are minerals in your blood and other body fluids that carry an electric charge.

Electrolytes affect how your body functions in many ways, including:

The amount of water in your body
    The acidity of your blood (pH)
    Your muscle function
    Other important processes
    You lose electrolytes when you sweat. You must replace them by drinking fluids that contain electrolytes. Water does not contain electrolytes.

Common electrolytes include:

Calcium
    Chloride
    Magnesium
    Phosphorus
    Potassium
    Sodium
    Electrolytes can be acids, bases, or salts. They can be measured by different blood tests. Each electrolyte can be measured separately, such as:

Ionized calcium
    Serum calcium
    Serum chloride
    Serum magnesium
    Serum phosphorus
    Serum potassium
    Serum sodium
    Note: Serum is the part of blood that doesn't contain cells.

Sodium, potassium, and chloride levels can also be measured as part of a basic metabolic panel. A more complete test, called comprehensive metabolic panel, can test for these several more electrolytes.

The electrolytes - urine test measures electrolytes in urine. It tests the levels of calcium, chloride, potassium, sodium, and other electrolytes.