Other Than Dave's Beans

Has anyone tried, or does anyone use on a regular basis, beans other then Dave's? i.e. Starbucks French Roast? If this is a blasphemous question, please excuse me - long time listener, first time caller.

hu5k3r

Tagged:

Comments

• i have used many different beans before i started on BP beans including many different roasts of Starbucks.

• I prefer Dave's coffee, but it is price prohibitive for the amount of coffee my family drinks.  I found some locally roasted beans that work for me.  My husband will drink Nescafe and be happy.  LOL!   Our daughter got to try some of Dave's beans while visiting over Christmas and she loved them.  She uses Trader Joes organic beans and has no trouble with them.     I think it all depends on you and your body. 

• NickatNickat
    edited January 2015

If you don't suffer from mycotoxins than your body might be more adaptable. Like good or bad gene expression this might hold out for some time before being noticed (in a bad way).

Will it catch up with you or are you used to them in you already are questions you will have to ask yourself and from your body. Test the theory. N=1

We know that most coffees and some foods make us feel like crap quickly but maybe you'll be lucky with your selections.

Eat clean and drink clean. Deviate from that once you have a baseline and if it improves you then it works fine for YOU.

• Has anyone tried, or does anyone use on a regular basis, beans other then Dave's? i.e. Starbucks French Roast? If this is a blasphemous question, please excuse me - long time listener, first time caller.

If you're not mycotoxin sensitive, other coffees shouldn't cause noticeable problems. I don't seem to be sensitive, but I've done enough research that suggests I'd like to avoid mycotoxins to buy Upgraded beans for my daily use. But I don't stress about the occasional cup of random coffee if I'm on the road or something. If I screw up and will be without coffee while my Upgraded beans are in transit, I'll buy a bag of higher-end coffee and not stress about that either. I know there are people on the forum that buy good but non-Upgraded coffee as their main coffee source. 

If you want to minimize mycotoxins but not buy Upgraded, try to buy single-source and not blends from higher altitude, wet-process if possible. The altitude and wet processing helps minimize mold. The single source is because a problem with the beans will be more pronounced and they're less likely to sell them. Something like a french roast is a blend, often of beans grown on different continents, and in the case of Starbucks they over-roast the beans. All of this in the name of homogenization, so the "Starbucks french roast" tastes the same in California in 2012 as it will in Connecticut next year. But this also means they can sneak in a bad batch of beans, spread it around, and no one will taste the difference. Sadly, this applies to my favorite, the espresso roast. 

If you care about ethics, try to buy fair trade certified, or from a company that is explicit about how it treats it's growers. (Starbucks is neither, only a small percentage of their beans are fair trade.) There are some good companies out there that are not fair trade certified, but the vast majority act badly. Fun fact: "fairly traded" means nothing other than that the beans weren't stolen. 

I prefer Dave's coffee, but it is price prohibitive for the amount of coffee my family drinks.

Buying the 5lb bags of whole bean coffee and freezing the beans by the pound (or by the 3/4 pound since that seems to fit in freezer bags) will bring the cost down significantly, enough to compete with other higher end coffees. While I support Upgraded I can't say I'd buy a 5lb bag of ground coffee for personal use, though, too many pores to hold moisture and mess up freezing. So you might need to have a grinder for this. But you might be surprised if you do the math on the 5lb bags. There is shipping cost, but on the other hand if you buy other products from Upgraded Self, the 5lb bags of coffee go a long way towards the free shipping minimum. 

• Wow! Thanks for all the answers. Many have got me thinking, but I don't have time right now to ask follow-up questions. I will try to get at in this morning.

• Iv'e enjoyed Dave's coffee, but I really don't have much to compare it to as I just started drinking coffee. I did run out on a recent international trip and was forced to buy some instant stuff from Starbucks.  Things seemed to go ok with that.  I travel to Hawaii usually once a month and have thought about trying some of their local organic beans, but their prices are higher.

• i tried some of onnit's coffee,https://www.onnit.com/onnit-coffee-caveman-colombian-amber/ its very tasty no problems for me seeing as I'm mycotoxin sensitive 

Watch my Stand Up Comedy Video online :)

Please Subscribe to my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQI92eERrCc

• Iv'e enjoyed Dave's coffee, but I really don't have much to compare it to as I just started drinking coffee. I did run out on a recent international trip and was forced to buy some instant stuff from Starbucks.  Things seemed to go ok with that.  I travel to Hawaii usually once a month and have thought about trying some of their local organic beans, but their prices are higher.

Hawaii....there should be excellent BP replacement coffee there. Geographically well positioned, altitude not a problem, fully washed techniques. A little costly for sure. There are cocoa-type bean tasting there too. Could be an excellent alternative with a little sourcing.
  • There are some preparation techniques you can try that might help with the jitters - grind your own beans - if you use the pour over hario or V60 method - grind them a bit on the coarse side and the coffee comes out a bit more on the mild side because the water flows through the beans quicker.  Also weigh your beans and play around with what works for you - I find a big difference in taste and effect between 17g and 21g of ground beans in a cup.  As you up your coffee geekery the water temp you use can also have noticeable effects.

Also - single origin, wet process beans should improve things a bit.

Here is a video about coffee grind settings, taste and brewing for the pour over method:

http://blog.vervecoffeeroasters.com/2013/01/25/street-smarts-2-dialing-in-your-grind-setting-for-v60/

• I'm so excited to try this stuff. Presently, I grind Starbucks French Roast (SFR) every morning and brew them in a regular, on-the-counter automatic drip. Of course I wouldn't use that for BPC. I also have a French Press, but have not used it in years.

I was thinking of buying the starter kit to see how it goes, but I really want to try the BPC made with SFR so that I can compare with Dave's beans after a week or so. My plan is to use SFR in a French Press, KerryGold, and Brain Octane (which comes in the starter pack). I plan to blend with a handheld to start.

I noticed that the names of the oils have changed. I think that they used to be MCT and Brain Octane or something. Some people have said that one of them is a little more hard on the stomach than the  other. Anyone have any thoughts on the oils?

• I noticed that the names of the oils have changed. I think that they used to be MCT and Brain Octane or something. Some people have said that one of them is a little more hard on the stomach than the  other. Anyone have any thoughts on the oils?

MCT changed to XCT, no difference in effect. Brain Octane stayed the same. Some people have better luck with different oils... it seems like most people can handle a larger amount of Brain Octane without building up, but a few people say they can't handle BO at all. Odds are good that you'll be fine with either one if you start with a teaspoon and build up.