Feeling Sick On Carb Refeed Days

Hi everyone,

I have been on this forum as a reader for about a month now and gained huge insight, so much appreciated! This is the first time I am posting.

Question, I started the BPIF plan and did my first refeed day after 7 days of following Dave's BP plan to a T.  I just bought Skye's book and am ready to tweak the plan more for my female body. I did add in some collagen to my BP coffee due to hunger issues by 11am and that seemed to do the trick. Everything was going great until yesterday, my card refeed day.  I ate sweet potatoes and rice (two separate meals), both with butter and veggies.  I felt both weak and exhausted not long after eating.  I couldn't find anything else on the forum about this.  Is it possible I have food allergies to both white rice and sweet potatoes?  That would be weird.  Or is it something else going on to my reaction to the carbs.  Any insight and advise would be greatly appreciated.

It was day two of my cycle, but don't think that played a role considering it was after eating I felt poorly.  

Thank you!

Jill

Comments

• LindaLinda
    edited January 2015

One of my earlier carb refeed days I overdid it on the carbs.  All great ones, but too many for me.  Boy did I go into a carb coma feeling.  I basically sat and digested for the rest of the day. I was fine the following day.  The next refeed day I ate fewer carbs and did GREAT.    I know we are all different, but you might experiment with the amount of carbs, or the try eating them over a longer period of time (instead of all in one sitting, a few bites every 10 minutes or so)   Just some thoughts.  Hope you feel better.

• Seconding what Linda said. Also, I've seen it mentioned a lot of times that people feel fatigued/poorly/depressed on carb refeed day. I think some of it is tweaking the right amount/timing for the individual, and probably some of it is just getting used to the cycling--your body is having to switch from one type of fuel and associated chemistry to a different one.

Or it could be something else: I just did the ten-day carb depletion per Skye's plan, and I was sick the whole night with intense gas/bloat/nausea on the carb refeed day. BUT these were just worse versions of symptoms I'd been having for months that actually got better during the carb depletion. In other words, I evidently have some sort of bacterial overgrowth issue that's wrecked my carb tolerance, and so the carb depletion was an inadvertent elimination diet and when I put the carbs back all hell broke loose. So now I'm figuring out what to do with that very important information.

Good luck!

• edited January 2015

Thank you Linda and Ela!  I hadn't thought about it, but yes, I did really load up on the carbs, probably way too much.  I still feel weak today though.  Glad to know there have been others that have gone through this and that it usually passes in time.  I am in the middle of reading Skye's book, so I will follow her protocol, see what happens and if it continues I will know there may be a bigger issue going on, like something you may be going through Ela with bacterial overgrowth.  I am keeping my finger's crossed it's just a combo of being that time of the month (which usually always has me feeling a bit weak and tired) and my body adjusting, plus next time I won't eat quite so much on carb re-feed days.

And Ela, good luck!!  I hope you figure out quickly what is causing your system to wreak havoc!  I hope it is something simple to be fixed.

Thanks ladies!

Jill

• How was the timing on your carb refeeds? I really like that Skye's plan only has carb refeeds from 5pm-9pm, it really helped to keep me sane :) Hope that your next carb refeed goes much smoother! 

• Thank you. This post was very helpful. What is the name of the book you are referencing?

• @lilblkraincloud said:
    Thank you. This post was very helpful. What is the name of the book you are referencing?

They were talking about No Fail Fat Burning for Women by Skye St. Johns. That conversation was two years ago, though; I guess there aren't many women on these forums any more. Here's a link to the book: https://www.amazon.com/Fail-Fat-Burning-Women-physique-ebook/dp/B00MNRJVWG

• cortextcortext
    edited June 16

@AimeeR said:
    How was the timing on your carb refeeds? I really like that Skye's plan only has carb refeeds from 5pm-9pm, it really helped to keep me sane :) Hope that your next carb refeed goes much smoother! 

On the flip side, isn't insulin sensitivity highest in the AM or Afternoon, where consuming calories (particularly carbs) after 5pm is associated with higher CRP / inflammation / A1C / Reactive Oxygen Species?

Frequency and Circadian Timing of Eating May Influence Biomarkers of Inflammation and Insulin Resistance Associated with Breast Cancer Risk: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4549297/

"each 10 percent increase in the proportion of daily calories consumed after 5 pm was associated with a significantly higher concentration of CRP—a biomarker that has been associated with increased risk of breast cancer, as well as a variety of chronic conditions... these findings suggest that lengthening the nighttime fasting intervals may only be an effective disease prevention strategy when the nighttime fast is initiated early in the evening. In other words, eating late at night but skipping breakfast (which could also result in a long fasting interval) may be a biologically different behavior."

The way around this seems to be heavy resistance training right before that said 5-9pm carbfest... yet, I find it difficult to get my energy up for heavy lifting at the end of the day.