New Ucsd Study On Sialic Acid Neu5Gc Found In Red Meat Linked To Cancer Risks

edited January 2015 in Bulletproof Diet

A study on the sialic acid Neu5Gc found in red meat shows that its consumption can promote inflammation and tumor formation in rodents. The study doesn't specify about certain variables such as whether the meat was grass-fed or the way it was cooked. The study does not encourage completely cutting out red meat from our diets, it simply encourages limiting intake to 500 grams, or 5-6 portions, a week.

Here is the link:

http://health.ucsd.edu/news/releases/Pages/2014-12-29-sugar-molecule-in-red-meat-linked-to-cancer.aspx

I thought this was an interesting study that warrants further discussion in the context of the bulletproof diet.

Tagged:

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Interesting, but unfortunately the article doesn't mention the variables you've pointed out; variables which, we all know, make a substantial difference in the composition and healthfulness of meat.

Most of us here are going to great lengths to eat and live in such a way as to minimize systemic inflammation, so even if there is something in grass-fed beef that increases it (Neu5Gc), we're probably still a good deal less "inflamed" than the general population. Maybe that doesn't make a difference and Neu5Gc is pure tumor-fuel. But I doubt it.

I'm out of my depth here, but it really doesn't look like there's enough info for us (or me, at least) to make a call on this. CAFO beef, IIRC, has been tied in the past to cancer and it is recommended that cancer patients avoid it. This, I believe, is due to the hormones in it, which can stimulate cancer growth. Whether Neu5Gc is in some way related to the hormone content in CAFO beef or is something to be found even in our cherished, pastured cuts, I can't say.

Thanks for the link, though. Interested to see what others think.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

This study is so hypothetical it is ridiculous to make any conclusion from anything in the study.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• i wonder how much money do these people make in posting such studies even when they are bogus.   

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    Did you also read the disclaimer at the bottom stating connection between the author, the study, and financial interests between the two and the outcome.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • Other internet sleuthing produced the following, which helps to round out the story:

"The researchers admit it’s difficult to apply the results of this study to humans because, unlike the mice, humans eat a varied diet and levels of Neu5Gc antibodies can vary from person to person. But the study does show some similarities to the situation in which people eat a diet high in red meat and, as a result, have higher rates of cancer, especially colorectal cancer."