What Chairs Do You Use For Working Vs Playing?

I'm gonna get an apartment at school next year. Also going to get an apartment in a separate place for a summer internship. 

Going to get a standing desk or tall desk with multiple monitors on it. I'm not sure which because having a ton of desk space in front, to the left, and to the right of me is the most important to me (like room for a few monitors and several sheets of paper in front of me and room for several sheets of paper and a mouse on left and rice) and this makes alot of adjustable standing desks prohibitively expensive.

1. For watching videos/playing I'd like a chair that supports my entire legs, neck, arms etc kind of like a reclining sofa chair. But I highly doubt there are chairs like that that go that high off the ground (to a standing desk level)

2. For handwriting and diagramming, I feel like the above type of chair is not a good idea and I am wondering what you guys would recommend ergonomically and which product 

To accomplish all of the above (standing desk, different chairs for different occasions), what would you recommend? 

How would you make it more economical? 

Comments

• I own an Aeron chair and they come in high lift options for work benches.

Highly recommended from me. I balked at the price for a few years then decided to pull the trigger. Now I can sit comfortably for a whole day and not even realise I'm doing so. Yes I am aware of the health risks of sitting etc, so an adjustable sit-stand desk is on the cards for me in the future. 

• I own an Aeron chair and they come in high lift options for work benches.

Highly recommended from me. I balked at the price for a few years then decided to pull the trigger. Now I can sit comfortably for a whole day and not even realise I'm doing so. Yes I am aware of the health risks of sitting etc, so an adjustable sit-stand desk is on the cards for me in the future. 

Just do not lose sight of the fact that many chair sitters (office and home) live into their late 80's and longer. The office chair and home couch and car seat have been around a while now, and these scare tactics are backed with junk science.

Seeing through the chaotic.
  • edited January 2015

So you 

I own an Aeron chair and they come in high lift options for work benches.

So you think that the Aeron chair would work with a standing desk?

What advantages does it have over other chairs that can go very high or normal height?

Can it also go very low? 

sportsbettingman

he future. 

Just do not lose sight of the fact that many chair sitters (office and home) live into their late 80's and longer. The office chair and home couch and car seat have been around a while now, and these scare tactics are backed with junk science.

What do you think are the most significant ergonomic problems for desk workers? 

• I bet your school has a bunch of cafe's or libraries with bars or counters that you can make your standing desk out of... Set up a tablet next to your computer to work as your second monitor. This will get you out of the house and interacting with people. Plus you'll probably meet a whole lot more pretty college girls this way

• This is the aeron work stool for high work surfaces:

http://www.hermanmiller.com.au/products/seating/stools/aeron-stool.html

My standard aeron office chair goes as high and low as I can stand it relative to my desk. Look up the height adjustment specs on the site, they're all there.

Without knowing how high you want to go and how low, I can't really help much more sorry.

Regarding ergonomics, it's a huge field for seating. If you observe carefully, you'll see that many many many companies have all tried to rip off the aeron design and offer a sub par, inferior product. There are stellar alternatives that are highly regarded as being ergonomic and comfortable and are still in the same price category (circa $1000) which use their own design philosophies. I don't have time at the moment to dig up what these are, but from memory there are perhaps 2 or 3 comparable alternatives.

The major thing for me is ventilation. When I sit for extended periods of time on any chair other than my aeron, I get noticeable hot spots that cause me to fidget and slump/slouch to avoid the pain. The aeron is an adaptive mesh support system that allows your body to breathe. I wasn't lying when I said I can sit in it for 8+ hours at a time and not even realise it (gaming marathons etc). The best part of it imo is the lumbar support system. It is simply amazing the way it works. I can't even do it justice as I explain it, but it doesn't feel like the cheaper alternatives that try to ram something into your back to force you to roll your lumbar...this system is a synergy between the adaptive properties of the mesh, the contour of the design and your body position that all work seamlessly together.

• StLoStLo

At home, I use a decent gaming chair because it's much more comfortable and adjustable than any other office chair. When I was building up a computer, I took care not only of hardware (I spent hours on guides like this https://bestgamingthings.com/choosing-the-best-motherboard-best-gaming-motherboards-2019/ to choose a motherboard and other components) but also I was paying lots of attention to periphery and furniture. And a gaming chair was my desire which I didn't want to save money on.