Ok Seriously...

What's the most bulletproof coffee maker for me based on the below criteria? I honestly can't make my mind up as to whether or not I want to upgrade from a French Press to a Hario, Siphon Brewer, or Aeropress:

1) Just want the overall best tasting cup of BP coffee.

2) Including oils so a metal filter is preferable.

3) Nothing overly expensive and intricate. Just straightforward.

4) Healthiest from a glass/plastics perspective.

Thoughts here? I know this has been exhausted but I'm just torn. -- I rarely make more than 2 cups so I don't need massive brewing potential.

I just don't see how a Hario can prove to be the best without a siphon type suction approach? Does this seem reasonable?

Comments

• What's wrong with french press? Meets all your needs if it's not plastic. Known for good flavor. 

I haven't used an aeropress, but from my understanding it makes espresso, or something like an espresso consistency/volume. I love espresso, but to make enough volume of liquid to blend butter, you'd then need to water it down and/or run more water through the grounds, messing with the espresso perfection. I'd use a french press if I didn't already have an espresso machine. 

• Stick with the French Press. 

• here's why the aeropress is awesome: it uses the principles of vacuum distillation to extract the coffee stuff at a lower temp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_distillation

makes everything else taste wrong though, in comparison

• I second for the aeropress with the metal able disc. Upside down brew method is fast and easy. My french press is awesome, but the aeropress wins in taste, ease of use and cleanup(I have dropped and cracked a few french press beakers), and amount of grinds needed for brewing.

• Aeropress is plastic.  It may win in taste, but it will lose in health.

They should make a glass version.

• Aeropress is plastic.  It may win in taste, but it will lose in health.

They should make a glass version.

Aren't the Aeropresses BPA Free, however?

Or is plastic in super hot water still plastic in super hot water?

• Bpa free stuff has other chemicals that are at least as bad.

But my guess is we're all exposed to this stuff everyday in a variety of ways so worrying about it probably doesn't do any good.
  • I use this stainless cone filter - no plastic in it at all. Coffee tastes great, and less clean-up than French Press:

http://www.amazon.com/Driver-Stainless-Coffee-Filter-Dripper/dp/B00GIOOUQW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1422902973&sr=8-6&keywords=metal+coffee+filter

• I agree with others here on the Aeropress- I really hope they make a glass version someday. BPA-free is not adequate for me. I've read enough about plastics when searching for a non-detrimental brand of Sous-Vide cooking bags (does not exist, btw) to feel very wary of plastics, especially with hot liquid.

• there will never be a plastic-free aeropress because of the way that the pieces seal together - there will always be a yucky rubber bit somewhere in there.

I think that the value of the flavor and simplicity of an aeropress is a favorable enjoyment to health-risk ratio, but I agree that there should be a better way...

Which probably involves lab glass and vacuum and might not be worth the trouble. That's the main difference in biohacking vs bulletproofing I can see: in bulletproofing the efficiency variable in the equation has a ton of weight, and beating the aeropress for how easy it is for one truly satisfying serving of coffee is going to be tough to beat. The french press comes close, though, and it's possible to get one that's plastic free.

&We've all seen that episode of breaking bad where they make coffee first, right? 

• Isn't a Siphon Brewer the answer to this? -- Glass but same brewing mechanism? 

• Chemex!  I started with the Aeropress and once I tried the Chemex, I never looked back!

http://www.amazon.com/Chemex-6-Cup-Classic-Series-Coffee/dp/B0000YWF5E

I actually use the version with the glass handle (easier to clean without the center wood insulator)

Simple

Incredibly easy to clean

All Glass (no plastics)

Ability to brew any quantity easily

Quality of the brew is at least as good (if not better!)

Uses paper filters or a metal Kone is available. The one downside to the Kone is it is a little expensive (but should last a long time)

http://www.amazon.com/Able-Brewing-Coffee-Filter-Chemex/dp/B00E58P6WU

Remember, if you're arguing on the internet, you've already lost!

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

A glass aeropress might be the most un-Bulletproof idea I've heard on here yet. Pressing down on a glass tube with enough force to vacuum extract espresso? Don't slip!

And how many of us are going to glass-Aeropress coffee into a blender and blend away? NutriBullet? BPA-free plastic! Vitamix? BPA-free plastic! Blendtech? BPA-free plastic! Oster Beehive? Tempered glass! ..with BPA-free plastic lid and seals!

Efficiency seems like it would go down, you'd need to pre-heat the Glass-o-press before dumping hot water in there. No more knocking it off the counter in the mad rush to mainline that perfectly poured Bulletproof Coffee (see the head of foam?!). It sounds expensive as well, rather than a Bulletproof $30.

Does anyone have the data sheets for food-grade BPA-free plastics and the temperature at which they will leach harmful chemicals out into liquid? We should be comparing those to the temperature at which we are brewing coffee.

• What's the difference between brewing in something like a Siphon vs Chemex?

I'm leaning towards all glass but trying to figure out what produces a higher quality result..

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

Addendum to the food-grade BPA-free plastics leaching chemicals at specific temperatures thing:

For a time I was bombarded with this idea that aluminum cookware was inherently unhealthy. When I got interested in blacksmithing, and subsequently metallurgy, a few interesting properties of aluminum became clear.

Aluminum oxidizes very rapidly. This forms a thin coating over any bare aluminum alloy, and this coating has its own properties. Most aluminum that ends up used for consumer application has been alloyed to enhance particular properties. In most food-grade applications this oxidation layer is heat stable to ~400°F, making it bad for camp fires, ovens or BBQ grills, while great for stove top applications that use much lower temperatures. It has the possibility of breakdown when in a highly acidic environment (like cooking tomato sauce) IF the oxidation coating has been scratched without the chance to oxidize again, or the uniformity of the coating is otherwise compromised. The acidity of the liquid alone is not sufficient to damage the coating, which is one of the reasons behind manufacturer's recommendations to avoid using metal utensils on aluminum cookware.

"So, what does this all mean?" I had to ask myself this multiple times over the course of a few days while confronting those friends and family who were insisting that aluminum cookware was inherently toxic. To my still very limited understanding one thing seemed clear, that these claims of inherent toxicity were not being backed by a sufficient understanding of the material in question. While aluminum cookware is still not my first choice (since I find it to be flimsy, unsightly, inefficient in terms of heat transfer, and un-Bulletproof to have to avoid my stainless steel utensils) it is most decidedly not the toxic monster it has been made out to be. As long as the aluminum cookware or packaging is well maintained and intact then it should perform adequately without doing any bodily harm, unless thrown at me.

Hopefully this helps clarify the outlook on BPA-free plastics, and the real need for this type of information before buying into toxicity claims. After all, caffeine is a natural pesticide and will kill birds, dogs, and cats. Caffeine can even kill you. It is, in fact, toxic. Only in context, though.

I will say this, people who are super tasters or have hypersomia will notice a difference between BPA-free plastic and glass, especially new BPA-free plastic. I found that with the Aeropress that difference goes away after washing it a few times with very hot, soapy water, and stays away. Meticulous cleaning is the key! Old coffee oils if left long enough can permeate BPA-free plastic, ceramic, stainless steel, aluminum, then you have to scour the thing or the taste is ruined.