Negative Effects Of Bpc

I was on Bulletproof coffee for 6 months, my total cholesterol raised 40% in all the negative ways, LDLs were through the roof. I went from high but in the normal range to the high at risk category. My research corroborated my blood test results, MCT intake has shown to raise LDLs in a sub set of healthy males in studies. Sucks. But I am back on a more natural diet for my physiology.

Moral of the story is, watch what you are doing and be weary of getting brainwashed. Get yourself tested, and know which "subset" you may belong to. The negative effects of unfiltered coffee are well known.

When I stopped drinking BPC, I didn't even notice the difference from a Costa Rican brand I buy now.
Tagged:

Comments

• Test. Do something. Test. Adjust. BPC did same to me with increased LDL from 144 to 265 In a one year period. My body fat is always around 10%. But my conclusion is I went too low carb while working out 4 days a week so I switched to body by Science type work (mike Mentzer High intensity) with 4 days of rest between workout and huge refeed on workout days of 500 gram of carbs and off days of 75 grams or less. My ldl came down to 175 with this change with 4 months. Now I have gone back to 4 days a week workout with off day carb 150 gram and workout days 400 grams with BPC only one day a week. I only fast for 14 hours or not at all most days but eat all carbs after 4pm. Usually workout around 2 or 3 pm. My next blood draw will be in 2 months.
  • You guys know that LDL's aren't all the same right?  This notion that high LDL means bad things is overblown.  Dr. William Davis has covered this in his research and his books to some extent in his work with wheat.  Small irregular shaped LDL are not easily processed by the liver vs the larger normal shaped LDL we have evolved to consume.  To compound this issue, the triglyceride testing that is done has a weird margin of error in regard to how it can estimate actual LDL and HDL levels.  They don't actually measure your HDL and LDL, they measure triglyceride levels then it's plugged into a formula with a margin of error (like most things, not saying a margin of error is bad), that sometimes can give inaccurate results.  There are actual labs that can test for LDL and HDL levels accurately, but no one really uses them in the medical industry because they are too expensive, HMO won't pay for them etc.

With the research I have done (Fallon, Taube, Moore, Asprey, interviews that Jan Irving (Gnostic Media) has done etc.), I'm almost not understanding how a higher LDL level is that bad if you are consuming good quality fats and oils.  That would tell me your body (unless really out of whack()) is using them for something that it needs them for (repair, maintenance, etc.).  I'm by no means an MD or a dietician, so maybe I'm not fully understanding this issue, but it would seem that there are clear contradictions between what allopaths tell people about cholesterol and what the findings of Weston A. Price, Mary Enig and others have found, and of course if we have contradictions or paradoxes, we need to sort them out.  Even considering different body type or physiologies, we can't have both conditions be true in regard to contradictory or paradoxical information or understanding.

Feel free to correct any errors in my thinking or misunderstandings I am having, I always like the feedback.

• I agree, I have removed milk cheese from my diet, cut back on red meat, doubled my whole grain intake, and increased my activity level. I never have been a calorie counter, I tend to stay in the same weight range with my muscle tone varying based on the activity level. I will get retested in 4 more months. I can't think of going back on a high saturated fat diet again, I felt it intuitively wrong for me, but ignored that gut feel.
  • SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

You guys know that LDL's aren't all the same right?  This notion that high LDL means bad things is overblown.

Frigging this, guys. It isn't *necessarily* a cause for concern, even if it is alarming due to years of listening to the conventional wisdom on cholesterol.

doubled my whole grain intake

lel

OP, if a diet high in saturated fats doesn't work for you, then that's one thing. But warning us not to get brainwashed...? Like, seriously? You think Dave's brainwashing all of us or something?

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

Why didn't anyone tell me that unfiltered coffee raises LDL? I've been doing a stainless steel percolator without a filter for almost a half a year now. :(

Does unfiltered coffee cause kidney stones? My kidney hurts lately.

• drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭ ✭✭✭

are you trolling, or did you really miss the repeated mentions of metal filters increasing LDL in the forums, the blog, podcast, videos, etc.?

are you trolling, or did you really miss the repeated mentions of metal filters increasing LDL in the forums, the blog, podcast, videos, etc.?

Obviously I didn't see those. Your flippant and insulting response is probably more like trolling. No, I don't read every post on the forum, listen to all the podcasts, or watch all the videos. 

Most of the info I've seen from BP has been about the benefits of using only a metal filter.

I asked a question, by the way, which you didn't address at all. Did you stop at the part where you found something you could make fun of me with?

Bull of Heaven "likes" anything where somebody gets pwned on the forum, especially me.

Okay I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not trolling (although I think the jury's still out...)
    http://bit.ly/1tM50ub

LOL, you just don't let up on the mocking tone. That LMGTFY thing is a riot.

Yes, I know how to use Google, and yes I did see that thread, whose title is quite misleading according to the point the guy in this thread is making "don't use a paper filter."

It looks like you ended up using a paper filter for awhile. Did you see a change in the LDL numbers you were getting? Do you think it was the bad LDLs that it was affecting (sd-LDL)? I thought what you brought up about coffee affecting how cholesterol is processed intriguing. Any new thoughts on this?

Yeah, I just think when you interact with a community long enough you open the door to a bit of friendly shit-exchange, moreso if you let it push your buttons. Plus I remember you as the guy makin coffee videos and stuff so geez dude, you should know your stuff, wtf?!

I did see some changes in my lipids after switching filters, but I did make some other changes as well. I didn't get my particle sizes checked last time but my apoB and trigs went down. I just had another draw on Tuesday so I should have another update early next week.
  • Apart from the somewhat sour exchange between RGBREC and drumminangoleiro, I think this topic keep coming up untill Dave gets back on his recommendation to retain kahweol and caferstrol in you bpc. These two substances might have some potential as raw materials for anticancer medication, but there are some negative effects on the record. Apart from the ldl, there are some epidemiological data that suggest a higher cardiovascular risk among the consumers of espresso and French- pressend coffee. There is no data showing less cancer in this subgroup. Unfortunately, coconut oil also raises cholesterol levels, although high consumption of coconut oil is not correlated to higher cv risk.
    edited February 2015

ah, no sourness intended, all in good humor. but i'm curious, do you have any links to studies about cardiovascular risk and espresso/french press coffee? i've seen a lot of articles about it increasing LDL but not anything about it actually being correlated with cardio problems. 

• My cholesterol increased too. It was already high to begin with (285) and went up to (374) in 3 months. But my HDL is 96 so to be honest Im not too worried. The only thing I changed at this time was adding in the MCT Oil so I am attributing the increase to the oil. From all of the articles I have been reading, high cholesterol is not necessarily something to be worried about anyways. It is just one possible factor (and tiny at that) in CV Disease. In my case, I did have a cholesterol deposit in my eye so I backed off the oil. (Cholesterol went back down to 280 in 3 months.) You just have to use common sense with this stuff. It is not an issue of "brainwashing" - that is just a ridiculous statement. And I would by no means say the oil is bad - I am actually a huge advocate of it for others if your body can tolerate it! It's just something I personally can't have because of my genetic makeup as I seem to not be able to clear cholesterol efficiently. I still drink the coffee though with butter as there are many other benefits like antioxidants. You just gotta make modifications as needed for your own body. If it doesn't work for you - don't drink it. No need to bash others if it works for them.

Yeah, I just think when you interact with a community long enough you open the door to a bit of friendly shit-exchange, moreso if you let it push your buttons. Plus I remember you as the guy makin coffee videos and stuff so geez dude, you should know your stuff, wtf?!

I did see some changes in my lipids after switching filters, but I did make some other changes as well. I didn't get my particle sizes checked last time but my apoB and trigs went down. I just had another draw on Tuesday so I should have another update early next week.

Apart from the somewhat sour exchange between RGBREC and drumminangoleiro, I think this topic keep coming up untill Dave gets back on his recommendation to retain kahweol and caferstrol in you bpc. These two substances might have some potential as raw materials for anticancer medication, but there are some negative effects on the record. Apart from the ldl, there are some epidemiological data that suggest a higher cardiovascular risk among the consumers of espresso and French- pressend coffee. There is no data showing less cancer in this subgroup. Unfortunately, coconut oil also raises cholesterol levels, although high consumption of coconut oil is not correlated to higher cv risk.

Sorry, I'm just being a wimp. Thanks for humoring me, guys. I know a good bit about the mycotoxin aspect of coffee (though I go on feeling a lot), but I don't really "feel" cholesterol issues right away. I guess it's all kind of related, because cholesterol has a lot to do with bile, inflammation, and detox.

Interestingly, I do a lot better when I don't have too much coconut oil. I cook with it and have a little MCT here and there, however I get a lot of food allergies, burping if I have too much. I think it's because it kills gut bacteria as well as fungus and bad bacteria. I have a dearth of good bacteria from some things I messed up with 3 years ago (antibiotics, Prilosec, bad coffee, tons of fluorinated water). I've told a lot of supplement gurus about this coconut oil issue, but they always pish it. Wonder why coconut oil is known to cause weight loss. Also, I wonder if there's a perfect balance like Dave suggests for how much good bacteria you need to be killing off. He says something in his book about how even good bacteria make you fat.