A Question About Triglycerides...

If the rationale behind using MCT oil as opposed to coconut oil is that long chain fatty acids such as lauric acid require digestion and are not immediately used for energy and can thus potentially be stored as fat, then why is butter included in in BPC? Butter has even greater levels of even longer-chain triglycerides. I'm sure there is a simple answer that's been discussed before, but I am having trouble finding it.

(No, I've not and indeed can not read the book at this time. I'd still like to know.)

Thanks so much for your responses. 

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

...long chain fatty acids such as lauric acid require digestion and are not immediately used for energy and can thus potentially be stored as fat, then why is butter included in in BPC? Butter has even greater levels of even longer-chain triglycerides.

OK, I might be wrong here, but I'm going to try and answer this. If someone more knowledgeable wants to chime in to correct me, please feel free to do so.

Yes, longer chain fatty acids require digestion to be processed. However, Bulletproof Coffee involves blending the butter and MCT, which emulsifies the fats and creates micelles, small droplets of fat that are more readily processed by the liver. Because of this, the butter can be utilized more quickly by the body. Blending the butter does some of the body's work for it; you don't have to wait for your pancreas, liver and gallbladder to start up the way you might if you were eating butter straight up.

ACH85 described things in this post much more eloquently. But anyway, the butter in BPC, while absorbed more slowly than the MCT, provides a sustained energy, a sort of slow-release, and does not sit around to get stored as fat.

At least, that's my understanding.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Marvelous, thank you. So the benefit to using both MCT and butter in coffee is that one is fast acting, and one is sustained release, so to speak. Right?

I really appreciate your having taken the time to respond.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

So the benefit to using both MCT and butter in coffee is that one is fast acting, and one is sustained release, so to speak. Right?

This is my understanding, yes.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!