Mct Based Salad Dressing Recipes?

Anyone have any good MCT based salad dressing recipes? I currently just use apple cide vinegar, with MCT oil, and some salt. I am in need of something more interesting though!

Comments

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful
    Depends on what's in the salad and what it's accompanying.

I'll help you break down the flavours and how it works chemically....

Most salad dressings have two phases, aqueous (water-based, or in this case, vinegar) and oil. Certain flavour compounds are water soluble, others are oil soluble.

For example, boil some asparagus, and then cook some in butter - they taste completely different! Notice how the boiled one seems to lack any strong flavour at all? This is due to flavour solubility. It's all in the water now!

So the dual-phase system of a salad dressing helps capture all the flavour compounds of whatever we add into it.

Aqueous phase - we're using apple cider vinegar, let's stay bulletproof here. You can also use lemon or lime juice.

Oil phase - MCT oil. I still use extra virgin olive oil, but that's for flavour more than anything else. I'm working on a MCT oil based Mayonaise, but more on that at a later date.

What else to add to the bottle? Firstly, salt! After that? Well, like I said, it depends what it's going with....

Are you making a bulletproof Thai beef salad? I'd add in some basil leaves, coriander/cilantro and mint. Maybe even some lime juice too.

Something with lamb? throw in a few sprigs of thyme and rosemary. Depending how bulletproof you want to be, you could crush a clove or two of garlic and throw it in here too.

For a curry? Use some fine slices of ginger and tumeric and a bit of coriander/cilantro too.

Also, cayenne powder goes well in most dishes if you like the heat!

If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask. Always happy to help with the cooking image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

No sorcery, just science. 

• So far I've been doing 1/2 cup on the MCT oil and 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar with a tsp of salt but thats fairly boring. My salads are the same everyday - just raw spinach, cucumber, celery, and a little red bell pepper. This is usually with some grass fed NY strip and softboiled eggs as well. Thats what I eat for lunch on work days - pretty much everyday. What could I throw into the dressing that would work well with that?
    you're going to go crazy having the one thing every day, that's for sure! It's a very technical/results-based logic midset - trust me, I'm a chemist, I know! Albert Einstein was reputed to have walked into a suit store, found a suit he liked, and then ordered seven - one for every day of the week.

So what if we make different dressings, one for each day of the week, this way you can quantify each of them... work out which ones you like the best and tweak the ones you don't. Still makes logical sense, no? This way, even if you don't vary the actual food, you can still play with the flavour a little!

Pick a few themes.... maybe thai, curry, mediterranean, mexican... who knows! What did you used to like to eat before you became BP? Let's base them around foods you already liked so the transition is easier for you image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

• Ive actually been doing it for about year. I only recently changed up what I have for dinner...weekends are my time to enjoy delicious meals. Weekdays between work and working out it just becomes maintenance to the body.
    It's strange - my views on food changed once I started the BP diet. I now view food as optimum fuel for my body. Where I would once crave crusty bread, olive oil and balsamic vinegar some times... I now view the bread as providing me with zero benefits, and see the balsamic as mouldy... so I just get some BP veges and soak them in olive oil and apple cider vinegar instead, as this provides me with the right fuel that I need. I've even started eating some veges that I never used to buy, as they're in the "green zone" and provide me what I need.

So yeah, have a think about what sort of cuisine you like and we'll make up some salad dressings for you.

• so I was listening to podcast #7 and Dave mentions a salad dressing. It included raw egg yolks, vinegar, oil, and 1/2 an avocado. Any advice on how to proportion those things? What other spices? I am leery of spices cause of mycotoxins. How much salt?

Also, if I make that dressing on Sunday will it keep so I can use it each day throughout the week - with the raw egg yolks in it and what not?
  • No response to how long a dressing like the one I mentioned might keep?
    A bit of salt and vinegar will help the dressing stay fresh a bit longer. The yolks will last maybe a week, maybe two in the fridge?

In terms of ratios, that depends on your taste!

• I have been messing around with a dressing I make from scratch every morning to take to work with me. This is what I have been doing so far.

raw honey - 1tbsp

lemon juice - 1 wedge

whole grain mustard - 1/2 tbsp

extra virgin olive oil - 1 tbsp

apple cider vinegar - 1 tbsp

mct oil - 1/2 tbsp

My wife and I used to make this all the time with balsamic vinegar but I remember reading or hearing somewhere that balsamic vinegar is one of the worst vinegars so we switched to apple cider and actually prefer it this way now.

I am trying to find where I learned about the mold in balsamic vinegar but I have searched and searched and can't find any information to support this now aside from the comment above about it being moldy.
  • M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.
    Perhaps some xylitol?
  • 'Jason wrote:

If you are trying to be under 50g carb/day that tbsp of honey is 16 of them and you don't really want to cause an insulin spike that early in the day unless its post workout.

Excellent point. I will try that and see if it makes a huge difference.
  • I think MCT oil - chimichurri would be great with grass-fed beef.
  • Hello,

I REALLY REALLY REALLY like french dressing (particularly Wishbone). I have recently bought MCT oil to put in my kale shakes and bulletproof coffee (when I restock my upgraded coffee supply). Any ideas for french dressing using MCT oil?