Best Paper Filter For Bulletproof Non–Ldl-Raising Coffee? Of Cafestrol, Kawehol, Kahlua, And Kameh

Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Bulletproof Coffee

Hi! I want to talk about those delicious Hawaiian coffee compounds—cafestrol and kawehol (as well as Kahlua and Kamehameha). Hehe, actually just mainly the paper filter thing more, but those two diterpene-related compounds are my main concern.

Did not see another thread solely covering choice of paper filters. So, as everyone seems to be finding out, there is this possible risk for elevated LDL. More and more people seem to be discovering it in the following threads: 

This

That

The Other

The jury is still out on whether this definite raise in cholesterol is of the bad kind or a problem at all. Dave said no paper filters in the Bulletproof Diet book, so it is forever etched in eternity that it's better to do that, and I hope he's right, because a lot of people are going to freak out when they see these raised LDL numbers. Some have been saying even in the 200s or 300s! I haven't checked mine yet, but I'm kind of scared that they will be raised.

Either way, I'm personally going to try some things, because my blood pressure has been high (not that that means my LDL is high, but it's indicated of possible cardiovascular issues).

However, I've had some weird effects from trying filtered coffee for the past couple days. I have these brown filters from Melitta, which I repurposed for my plug-in 12-cup percolator with a metal basket filter.

1. Tastes weird (like paper?). Also tastes kind of chemical. Not sure if that's a problem, but I miss the unfiltered taste
  2. Stomach felt upset before lunch (both when drunk on an empty stomach and with protein-veggie breakfast)
  3. In the afternoon, both days I used the filter, I had diarrhea that afternoon. Definitely a distinct (da-stink) occurrence for me.
  4. Accordingly, I went back to unfiltered today and felt fine (maybe my system is more adapted to it since I've been doing unfiltered for several months)

Please, tell me the best-tasting and most organic coffee filters out there. I don't want to guess and check over and over again, it's too much work! I'm sure someone out there knows. Of course, I want unbleached, but I also want the paper to be "tasty" LOL! You really do taste that stuff if you're used to unfiltered. They should start making novel, flavored filters. Oh, wait, that's a good business idea. Don't steal it anybody! You heard it here!

Comments

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

tssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr pschckkkfkkschhhhhhhhkkhhhkhkhkkk

crash and burn!

• edited February 2015
    I use generic unbleached filters, I don't really taste any "paper" notes in my coffee. If you can afford the time, test your cholesterol now to get a baseline. Change out the filters, test in 3 months, remove the MCT, test in 3 months ... So on. I dropped everything at once because of severity of my LDL situation but you may want to iterate and phase out incrementally, just a thought.
  • when i switched from french press/impress (metal filters) to aeropress i looked at a few youtube videos to see how folks do the aeropress thing (lots variations apparently), but one thing i saw is that when you use a fresh paper filter you should run some plain hot water through it once to get rid of the paper taste, then you can just reuse that filter like 10 times or so. 

btw, about to update my thread on my adventures in blood lipids. 

kinda curious, is there anyone here on the forums who drinks unfiltered coffee on a daily basis and DOESN'T have elevated LDL? i'm wondering if this is a cause/effect that applies to everyone or if some of us are just...special. 

• drumminangoleiro, I appreciate your thorough work in regards to your research "of self". I'd like to contribute my results in few months. I have been off of BPC for a month and want to give it at least 3 before retesting.
  • yeah if your experience is anything like mine you'll see a pretty drastic reduction in LDL, especially after 3 months. whether that LDL is large or small particles or healthy or unhealthy i don't know...i suspect that it isn't good to have off-the-charts high LDL for long term though.

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

The cheap paper filters that came with my Aeropress are awesome. I am a heathen, barbaric, hedonistic, pure evil capitalistic pig, so I only use a fresh filter, and only use it one time. It makes my coffee so very smooth and rids it of the bitter taste of failed coffee filtering!

On a more serious note...

I can only really comment on taste, since that is all I have delved into. If you are a super taster or have hyperosmia (or both) your flavor preference for coffee can be very particular. I can taste variations like if one or two beans were burnt (any 'espresso' roast from a bistro or coffee shop seems to think roasted means set on fire), if the beans were not fresh (5+ days from roasting is too long), and if the coffee maker was cleaned recently or not. The coffee oils permeate the coffee maker, and I can taste them. It makes things bitter, acidic, as the oils are re-exposed to heat, and they contaminate the brew. The solution for me is a fresh Aeropress paper filter, used once only, then immediately putting the emptied Aeropress in soapy water. 7th Generation dish soap, by the way, is awesome. Your dishes will rinse clean and not taste like soap! 

I've never had any of my filters taste very 'paper-like', did you try a different package of filters from Aerobi? Your particular package might have had a manufacturing defect of some sort, been packaged too soon after cutting, bad paper stock, something like that. Since they are $3.49 a pack you might try replacing them and see if you still detect a smell. I let my filters sit in the little dispenser thing where they are able to off-gas and they just smell like whatever spices were spilled on them last. I toss any that are covered in cayenne or anything and press away ;)

• yeah if your experience is anything like mine you'll see a pretty drastic reduction in LDL, especially after 3 months. whether that LDL is large or small particles or healthy or unhealthy i don't know...i suspect that it isn't good to have off-the-charts high LDL for long term though.

Voce Brasileiro?

Oh cool, I got some replies!

when i switched from french press/impress (metal filters) to aeropress i looked at a few youtube videos to see how folks do the aeropress thing (lots variations apparently), but one thing i saw is that when you use a fresh paper filter you should run some plain hot water through it once to get rid of the paper taste, then you can just reuse that filter like 10 times or so. 

kinda curious, is there anyone here on the forums who drinks unfiltered coffee on a daily basis and DOESN'T have elevated LDL? i'm wondering if this is a cause/effect that applies to everyone or if some of us are just...special. 

when i switched from french press/impress (metal filters) to aeropress i looked at a few youtube videos to see how folks do the aeropress thing (lots variations apparently), but one thing i saw is that when you use a fresh paper filter you should run some plain hot water through it once to get rid of the paper taste, then you can just reuse that filter like 10 times or so. 

I find the Aeropress to be extremely complicated and inconsistent. I sucked so bad at using it, and I used to end up with coffee that had tons of grounds in it. 

Thanks for updating us on your lipids! I'm really curious to find out. I don't know if I want to check my lipids, because it's too expensive, and I don't have Obamacare. I use this thing called Medishare instead which only pays out 100% after deductible.

The cheap paper filters that came with my Aeropress are awesome. I am a heathen, barbaric, hedonistic, pure evil capitalistic pig, so I only use a fresh filter, and only use it one time. It makes my coffee so very smooth and rids it of the bitter taste of failed coffee filtering!

On a more serious note...

I can only really comment on taste, since that is all I have delved into. If you are a super taster or have hyperosmia (or both) your flavor preference for coffee can be very particular. I can taste variations like if one or two beans were burnt (any 'espresso' roast from a bistro or coffee shop seems to think roasted means set on fire), if the beans were not fresh (5+ days from roasting is too long), and if the coffee maker was cleaned recently or not. The coffee oils permeate the coffee maker, and I can taste them. It makes things bitter, acidic, as the oils are re-exposed to heat, and they contaminate the brew. The solution for me is a fresh Aeropress paper filter, used once only, then immediately putting the emptied Aeropress in soapy water. 7th Generation dish soap, by the way, is awesome. Your dishes will rinse clean and not taste like soap! 

I've never had any of my filters taste very 'paper-like', did you try a different package of filters from Aerobi? Your particular package might have had a manufacturing defect of some sort, been packaged too soon after cutting, bad paper stock, something like that. Since they are $3.49 a pack you might try replacing them and see if you still detect a smell. I let my filters sit in the little dispenser thing where they are able to off-gas and they just smell like whatever spices were spilled on them last. I toss any that are covered in cayenne or anything and press away ;)

I use a percolator, so can't use aeropress filters. I've been repurposing Melitta filters as basket filters and just not worrying about covering the grounds on the top (don't mind if a few grounds fall out, though they don't seem to anyway). 

I was hoping people knew a good standard or conical filter to use besides melitta. Was the brand you recommended, Aerobi a conical filter? I'll look into it of course, but it sounds like Aeropress's filter.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I use a Hario glass pour-over system with unbleached Melitta size 2 filters. Works great. Never noticed a papery taste. Just nice and smooth. Melitta also makes a line called 'bamboo', which are more natural (or so their packaging would lead you to believe). You might consider giving those a try instead. I much prefer the taste of paper filtered coffee to, say, a french press. Never tried an Aeropress, but they sound nifty.

Also,

tumblr_m8mxwvB88J1rq0olko1_500_zpsrq9dxz

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

It looks like he pumped a Kaio-Ken X20 (at least) in combination with that kamehameha!!! I think that's Tree of Might, which is a very good one.

I was thinking about trying the bamboo. Sounds interesting (and tasty!)

I don't recommend Aeropress. There's a lot of plastic that comes in contact with boiling water, and it could contaminate the taste, though some people really like it. Also, the procedure is way complicated.

Also, I used melitta paper again today, and I think I'm getting used to the taste/feeling.

I use a Hario glass pour-over system with unbleached Melitta size 2 filters. Works great. Never noticed a papery taste. Just nice and smooth. Melitta also makes a line called 'bamboo', which are more natural (or so their packaging would lead you to believe). You might consider giving those a try instead. I much prefer the taste of paper filtered coffee to, say, a french press. Never tried an Aeropress, but they sound nifty.

Also,

tumblr_m8mxwvB88J1rq0olko1_500_zpsrq9dxz

Hmm, I wasn't trying to filter the fat from my coffee. That I blend in unfiltered after the coffee's been past the filter. I'm afraid I'm not getting it friend.

• Ben Greenfield talked about the ldl from coffee oils. He recommended taking oxbile and/or lipase to combat the issue. He said that you may not get the same brain effects.

Hey, I just realized that I've SEEN these two oils. Have you ever noticed that there is a white residue floating in your coffee after it cools down? (Yet you drink it up anyway.)

I always wondered what they were, and I almost posted a question on the forum to ask if anyone knew if there was "fat" in coffee. I would reckon that these are the "fats" that show up in your coffee if you don't filter it. I'll do a before and after cooling picture for unfiltered and filtered coffee to see if the white residue shows up. Then we'll know for sure if these are the oils.

If they are, it would make perfect sense that these cause a rise in LDL, because we all know that vegetable oils, along with carbs, are the only things that can raise your sd-LDL anyway. I think coffee oils would qualify as vegetable (fruit?) oils.