Research On Oil + Intermittent Fasting?

Hi folks,

Loving this work generally, and doing very well with the first-two-week protocol.  I get up way-early, so my eating period is generally between 9 and 3, and I'm pretty peckish around 8, but it's working for me.

I was wondering about research specifically addressing Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting, which is to say research that specifically looks into the benefits of an intermittent fasting protocol that includes extra oil (MCT+Butter) during the fasting period.

I've read Dave's book, and the citations and level of research are generally amazing; but I notice that when we got to the "Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting" section, there was a sudden dearth of footnotes.  Dave talked about his own experience with it, as compared to straight intermittent fasting, and of course I've seen dozens of quotes in his book and online about how well this has worked for people, but I haven't been able to find any published research.

I don't discount the value of the anecdotal reports, and I don't discount the experience of my own body, which seems pretty happy with the protocol, but I'd love to find out if we can take these claims to the next level by being able to cite something more substantial.

Thanks for any clues you can provide.

-Apollo

(Off to make some more coffee...)

Comments

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

I'm not sure there has been research on the exact formula of Bulletproof fasting. But Pubmed has plenty of research on the benefits of IF, on coffee being an mTOR inhibitor, on MCT oil helping to get into ketosis and on coffee increasing metabolism. 

• I too am still struggling to find any research based correlation between the ingestion of fats during the fast and whether the true effects of normal IF are still achieved.