Hypnic Jerks

MusicmamaMusicmama
edited February 2015 in Sleep Hacking

Does anyone have any solutions for hypnic jerks? It's those kicks that sometimes happen just as we're falling asleep. Most people get them now and then and it's not a problem, but my husband gets them every night and for as long as an hour (every 15-20 seconds), which is messing with our otherwise very sweet bedtime and cutting into sleep for both of us.

They started during a very stressful time for him but now seem to be the norm, stress or no :(

Comments

• The typical treatment is benzodiazepine, but I would not recommend going that route.  I would start with meditation - particularly something that resembles Heart Math techniques.  A nightly gratitude list might help too.  If all else fails, try 500mg of tryptophan mixed with Upgraded Collagen, and/or GabaWave.

• Thank you, Jason! Usually by the time he's falling asleep, he's pretty relaxed and happy, and the jerking happens even if he's totally blissed out - so it just doesn't seem to line up with what I'm reading about the stress/anxiety connection (except for the start of them a few years ago, which definitely seemed stress-related). Anyway, I'll read him your suggestions and go from there. Many thanks -