Acne

I've been Bulletproof for a solid month now, and it is a big change from eating pizza on an almost nightly basis.  I don't have food cravings anymore, I've gained a bit of muscle and lost a little fat, but I didn't have much to lose.

My main problem is that my acne is still as bad as it was before starting.  Do you think this could be due to food allergies?  JJ Virgin recommends removing dairy for a while, do you think that might help?  Since I drink BP coffee every morning...

I feel good.  I just want my skin to clear up.  My face is very red and my acne hasn't improved.  Any advice?  Thanks

Comments

• My advice would be to try cutting dairy. And if that doesn't work, keep trying different approaches because acne has so many triggers. A clean diet does wonders. Over the years I found that it wasn't one thing that caused acne for me, it was multiple things. My skin is FINALLY clear now. Zinc, Vitamin D, dessicated liver capsules (Vitamin A), plenty of water, using skin care without dimethicone, and DIM. DIM was the main one for me because of hormone troubles. 

Dairy wasn't a trigger for me, but it's worth exploring because it affects so many people. Good luck in finding the trigger. It takes time AND it's totally worth the effort. :)

• My advice would be to try cutting dairy. And if that doesn't work, keep trying different approaches because acne has so many triggers. A clean diet does wonders. Over the years I found that it wasn't one thing that caused acne for me, it was multiple things. My skin is FINALLY clear now. Zinc, Vitamin D, dessicated liver capsules (Vitamin A), plenty of water, using skin care without dimethicone, and DIM. DIM was the main one for me because of hormone troubles. 

Dairy wasn't a trigger for me, but it's worth exploring because it affects so many people. Good luck in finding the trigger. It takes time AND it's totally worth the effort. :)

Thank you.  I am cutting all dairy, as well as eggs, for a month or so, and I'm going to take vitamin K2 to make up for the loss.

• Do you use Xylitol? Maybe replace with stevia as it is a healing agent for skin disorders and like other antioxidants on the bp diet helps by reducing rash acnes outbreaks. Of course it might be detoxing still from this new diet your eating as Berry has already pointed out.

• Get your liver checked out.

Generally, liver problems = skin (including scalp) problems

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited February 2015

Get your liver checked out.

Generally, liver problems = skin (including scalp) problems

For me acne, especially body acne, seems to arrive when I eat something that can cause gut permeability. Other than my unique kale situation I don't have any real data tracked. But as I've added l-glutamine into my diet, with a special focus on taking it after eating any gut-permeability-causing foods, the body acne seems to happen with less intensity. 

Even more anecdotal is that I perceive this body acne to come with physical symmetry, for example I'll notice a weird zit on the right side of my chest, and see a not-as-pronounced red spot in the same spot on the left side of my chest. Is it due to symmetrical lymph or detox pathways? Eastern acupressure meridians? Coincidence or placebo? I do not intend to run deliberate experiments to find out. 

Daniel, if you're losing fat you may be releasing toxins, and one detox pathway is through the skin. To my knowledge the detox pathways, roughly in order of magnitude, are the liver (gut bile release,) kidneys (urine,) skin/sweat, and hair. But some toxins may be better excreted via specific pathways. You might experiment with charcoal to bind the toxins in gut bile, but even if it is a fat-stored toxins issue, I'm not sure your results from targeting gut bile will be all that noticeable. 

• Hi! Be patient, it will take time to heal your acne.

For sure remove dairy from your daily menu and follow Dave's food chart.

Your gut is in trouble (inflammation) so it would be beneficial to do a few colonics and add in supplements like gluthatione, alpha lipoic acid, herbs... No matter what eat clean.

Also de-stress and do not put any harsh cosmetics on your face (and body). Only natural products. Do not over-dry your skin. Moisturize with rosehip oil (from Aura Cacia) and drink lots of water. 

:)

Do only what you really want to do.

• Hi! Be patient, it will take time to heal your acne.

For sure remove dairy from your daily menu and follow Dave's food chart.

Your gut is in trouble (inflammation) so it would be beneficial to do a few colonics and add in supplements like gluthatione, alpha lipoic acid, herbs... No matter what eat clean.

Also de-stress and do not put any harsh cosmetics on your face (and body). Only natural products. Do not over-dry your skin. Moisturize with rosehip oil (from Aura Cacia) and drink lots of water. 

Colonics aren't recommended at all. They wipe out a lot of the good bacteria in your gut.

• I've had acne till very recently maybe within past year or even a few months (I am 31) and I can tell you what might have been most likely cause for it to go away:

Stopped using soap or any products on my face, just wash my face with water while showering. and not touching face much during the day

Bulletproof diet; i stopped drinking sodas and eating junk food

cut off most sweets/sugar...i notice if i eat sweets/chocolate i get pimples

could be your gut biome? I've been treating and put H.Pylori in remission over past 6months...H.Pylori can cause acne

• Colonics aren't recommended at all. They wipe out a lot of the good bacteria in your gut.

Maybe but colonics worked for me. I replenished the good bacteria fast. I'm glad i did it!!!!!!!!!!

• SystemSystem mod
    edited March 2015

Maybe but colonics worked for me. I replenished the good bacteria fast. I'm glad i did it!!!!!!!!!!

Did you notice an increase in energy? I might have to give it a whirl. 

• Did you notice an increase in energy? I might have to give it a whirl. 

Zeke and Destroy, my health improved 100%. All of the annoying ailments went away. Do it.

• To get rid from acne jus follow some easy steps and see the magic :

1. Stay clean - wash your face thrice a day and whenever you exposed with dust
    2. Use natural skincare product
    3. Take proper diet - eat less oily and spicy food, avoid junk food
    4. Drink Plenty of water - drink at least 3-4 liter a day
    5. Apply Lemon juice on affected area which will gives you good result also you can drink lime juice with empty stomach will detox the all toxic elements in your body and improve the skin health.

• One of the things about acne that is so frustrating is that it can take a week or two for triggers to show up. It took me a long time to figure out that dairy and gluten are both major triggers for me because it was hard (at the time) to completely eliminate these and do it for an extended period of time. Now like clockwork I can observe that if I eat something with gluten 3-5 days later the pimples will show up, and they can take up to a week to go away.

I would suggest trying to take a whole 30 approach and cut out any suspect foods for a month. I have still never been completely clear, but once you are close its easier to see what foods affect you once you eat them.

Also I found the collagen protein Dave sells here works amazing for skin and acne, I consume a tablespoon every night,  and after the first week my skin looked a lot better. Now if I go a couple days without taking it I can see a difference.

• Try to use Rodan and Fields Unblemish. This is a product that you can use to reduce the effects of post acne marks. It helps you to keep your skin protected from acne marks and can keep pimples and blackheads away from your skin.