Please Help A Novice With Nootropics.

MrsfloydMrsfloyd ✭✭
edited February 2015 in Cognitive Performance

Hello!

I will tell you my experience so far:

Gaba Wave -- I enjoyed the effects (despite the taste) in helping me chill out and think clearly.

Unfair Advantage -- no effect.

Choline Force -- love it, but fairly mild.

I am curious about Ciltep, (which I took today for the first time,) and the racetam family.

Now, I know this board is full of experts.  I know that, to a point, a novice's questions may be a bit annoying for the advanced folks.  But everything I've read so far is way over my head, (hence perhaps the need for nootropics,) :wink: and I'd like to really understand this.

I took adderal for a while, abused it rather, and what happened after I quit was horrible:  A year went by during which I had 0 energy, 0 emotion, 0 inspiration.  It's as though I squeezed all the dopamine out of my brain.  I don't want that to ever happen again, ever.

However, I am interested in things that may be naturally beneficial to my brain, non-chemical, sustainably so.  From what I understand, Ciltep is such a thing. 

What about racetams?  

Would it be something to take every day, or only when needed?  How do I know which one is right?  Where would I get them?

If anyone feels like sharing the knowledge, please do.  Yes, I have read through multiple threads on the topic, but they are all quite specific and advanced, or have no replies.  So, hopefully the fate of this one will be different.   :)

Thank you!

Comments

• Oh, and one more thing:  Interactions with pot?

I have tried smoking pot or consuming oil with Gaba Wave, and the result was GREAT.  It helped me chill the f'ck out without losing a step in cognitive ability.

Anyone else have experience?

• zero33zero33 Thinks plants have feelings.
    edited February 2015

I'm fully aware that I'm a one-note Johnny, but... have you read The Edge Effect by Eric Braverman?

It was the single most helpful thing to me when it came to fine-tuning both my nutrition and my nootropics. When you ask others for their opinion you will always get a biased recommendation based on their experiences, goals, preferences, etc. but when using The Edge Effect you learn how to respond to your body's reactions and needs. I believe it would give you the skills to avoid another burnout like you experienced with the adderall.

Another tool I like is HRV - like Food Detective, InnerBalance or EmWave. I was using it to track reactions to foods, but due to a comment pizzabagel made I began applying the concept to supplements and noots to optimize my stack.

My chemistry plays really well CILTEP, and I use it almost daily. I also use Alpha-GPC or Alpha Brain; Caffeine+L-theanine; and Piracetam.

Piracetam is my newest favorite. At first it was unremarkable, but I discovered that was simply a dosage issue. Once I found my sweet-spot - wow!

Cannot speak to the interactions with pot, but there are plenty of other board members who should be able to provide insight with that - you might consider adding "pot" or "cannabis" to your tags to draw their attention.

Coder/Shaper who thinks this is his blog: alienvir.us

• MrsfloydMrsfloyd ✭✭
    edited February 2015

^  Thank you!

Is there a reliable database out there where one can see all the racetams compared to each other?  

I looked them up, and all of the literature is either very deep or very shallow.  Nowhere have I found a way to understand exactly what they do in order to choose one for myself.

How do you choose?  How do you know what is harmless?  Or what is aiding you rather than not?

Also, how do you know how they combine together?  How they may positively or negatively interact with each other?  For example -- can I take Ciltep with Choline Force?

• ^  Thank you!

Is there a reliable database out there where one can see all the racetams compared to each other?  

I looked them up, and all of the literature is either very deep or very shallow.  Nowhere have I found a way to understand exactly what they do in order to choose one for myself.

How do you choose?  How do you know what is harmless?  Or what is aiding you rather than not?

Also, how do you know how they combine together?  How they may positively or negatively interact with each other?  For example -- can I take Ciltep with Choline Force?

To answer your question on racetam data, smartdrugsforthought website is extensive and laid out well.

As far as supplementation, I am a fan of testing out individual items before getting a stack of items or all in one pill. This way as you add things if you have a reaction you do not like, you can remove the item you added to adjust. Over time you will learn to tweak things and asses better.

For the racetams, I am a huge fan of aniracetam, but have found I prefer it in smaller dosages and not stacked. Other people like it in larger quantities or not at all. Who is right when it comes to you?

• ^  Thank you.  I guess for me, the main concern is not KNOWING what this is actually doing to my brain in the long run.  I don't want to get great results from something now, only to suffer later, as happened with adderall.  I also don't want to get addicted, in all seriousness.  I understand the concept of experimentation, and I like it -- but there are some things that one must really, really study -- in order to understand.  And I don't have time for a medical degree just now…  ;)

Thank you for the site -- I will check it out!

• ^  Thank you.  I guess for me, the main concern is not KNOWING what this is actually doing to my brain in the long run.  I don't want to get great results from something now, only to suffer later, as happened with adderall.  I also don't want to get addicted, in all seriousness.  I understand the concept of experimentation, and I like it -- but there are some things that one must really, really study -- in order to understand.  And I don't have time for a medical degree just now…   ;)

Thank you for the site -- I will check it out!

One of my favorite supplements for several years has been PEA, and I made a post here: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/12810-my-experiences-with-pea-phenylethylamine-hcl/?hl=pea

there is room for abuse on some level, however I use it as a tool and have found it a great addition to my personal list of supps.

• Kudos to the OP for asking the question. I'll be monitoring this for answeres as well. I have started on Piracetam to begin but bought Aniracetam as well to try later. I have heard it can take up to 6 weeks for some to see results.

I started taking creatine monohydrate before any noots. I noticed a small increase in mental sharpness and "no bullshit" tinge to my conversational approaches. Adding Piracetam seemed to help initially then after a week fell off.

I have run out of creatine and won't buy more until I let Piracetam play out. Then I'll try the Aniracetam by itself. Personally from reading posts on here I have gleaned that trying varying doses of each by themselves might be the best way to start before stacking anything.

I took 2x800g of Piracetam and 2x 750g of Aniracetam and found I was irratable without much reason. Not doing that again. I have also had bouts of undirected anxiousness. Walking around looking for something to do but not knowing what.

Just a few thoughts from someone who's new to this whole thing as well.

J
  • zero33zero33 Thinks plants have feelings.

taking choline (5:1) and magnesium (200mg) with piracetam eliminates the irritability issues for me - i also find that sometimes i need extra carbs if i start to feel "off".

I took 2x800g of Piracetam and 2x 750g of Aniracetam and found I was irratable without much reason. Not doing that again. I have also had bouts of undirected anxiousness. Walking around looking for something to do but not knowing what.

Coder/Shaper who thinks this is his blog: alienvir.us

• I am finishing off gaba wave. I find it dulls me to the point I need help with something like green tea. One thing for me is after the loading stage of creatine monohydrate its like an elixir. More so then the 1st couple weeks. Mental drive, sex drive, endurance are all noticeably increased. Still feel as though I have at least %50 in the tank after a 2 mile run.

I took CILTEP once but didn't notice much. My diet might not have been right at the time though. Alpha Brain seemed to do better but after a week was nothing.

Piracetam has been the workhorse lately. It just seems to work. Fluid conversation not searching for words to keep it going to avoid awkward silences. Helps me connect with people and like it. So for me it has been this:

2x800mg Piracetam 2x daily. 2-4g C-1000

Bulletproof butter coffee in the morning with 2 raw eggs, almond milk, organic chard, creatine monohydrate, and hemp powder mixed in a shake.

Teaspoon of raw unfiltered organic honey before bed to give brain fructose as to prevent morning brain fog. Works so far..

Almonds for lunch if anything. Other than that, green tea, another dose of Piracetam as above then nothing until dinner. I would think the 2 raw eggs give me enough choline for the piracetam but I'm new to this too. Thinking of upping my Piracetam doses to see if benefits increase but I like what its doing now so I'm debating that.

• I am finishing off gaba wave. I find it dulls me to the point I need help with something like green tea. One thing for me is after the loading stage of creatine monohydrate its like an elixir. More so then the 1st couple weeks. Mental drive, sex drive, endurance are all noticeably increased. Still feel as though I have at least %50 in the tank after a 2 mile run.

Hello and thank you!  Could you clarify the sentence about creatine?  Do you mean IT is like an elixir, or it plus gaba wave?  and "after the loading stage?"

Thank you, I'd be very interested to know what you mean.

• Hello and thank you!  Could you clarify the sentence about creatine?  Do you mean IT is like an elixir, or it plus gaba wave?  and "after the loading stage?"

Thank you, I'd be very interested to know what you mean.

From my experience taking creatine monohydrate, they say that you are supposed to go into a "loading stage" shoveling 20g of it into you for faster results. This is mainly for the people that are heavy into lifting so they can start seeing the benefits of it right away or faster. However, after that you get to the 5g a day regular dose. I did the loading stage because I thought I had enough of a workout program to support the need for that. After I a couple of days (close to a week) I noticed that I had a much higher sex drive, more fire in the belly, got things done without regard to any perceived and sometimes real obstacles. I can't rememebr where I read it but I have heard that creatine monohydrate by itself can increase testosterone production in males that are healthy by as much as 15% and that is huge.

I have no information on how it effects females but I can only imagine that in terms of muscle development and recovery it might help as well. My focus was mainly on the mental lucidity that it provided. I started taking the creatine before starting any smart drugs or other supplements. The only thing I was taking at the same time was liquid vitamin D3.

By an elixir I meant that it really kicked me in the ass and brought me back. I was in a fog and it lifted it. I'd go as far as saying that it gave me back my 20's. It literally seemed to make that much a difference for me. You know how the chain reaction goes. You feel more driven then you get confidence back. You then accomplish more and feel those rewards. Generally things improve. As for the GABA Wave part, I have taken it and have seen benefits from the "chill" I get from it and the creatine boost in everything else. I don't take the GABA that often though maybe once every 2 weeks and take one of Dave's ampoules when I do. The only reason I felt I needed the green tea was to even out the effect and not drift me too far from lucid thought while on the GABA. I don't like to be too far one way or the other. 

•  ^  Thank you, that is very helpful.  I have never considered creatine before.  I must do some research, because I don't even know what it is.  :)

• middie8middie8
    edited March 2015

Kudos to the OP for asking the question. I'll be monitoring this for answeres as well. I have started on Piracetam to begin but bought Aniracetam as well to try later. I have heard it can take up to 6 weeks for some to see results.

I started taking creatine monohydrate before any noots. I noticed a small increase in mental sharpness and "no bullshit" tinge to my conversational approaches. Adding Piracetam seemed to help initially then after a week fell off.

I have run out of creatine and won't buy more until I let Piracetam play out. Then I'll try the Aniracetam by itself. Personally from reading posts on here I have gleaned that trying varying doses of each by themselves might be the best way to start before stacking anything.

Just a few thoughts from someone who's new to this whole thing as well.

J

i think i am having similar reactions to your aniracetam as you but i am only taking 1500mg per day.  its been about 2+ weeks and i really dont feel much and slightly anxious/irritable.

• j2180j2180
    edited March 2015

i think i am having similar reactions to your aniracetam as you but i am only taking 1500mg per day.  its been about 2+ weeks and i really dont feel much and slightly anxious/irritable.

One thing I have noticed from my personal experience is that the Piracetam effect is so mild it takes you a while to notice that it's working. I have noticed so far with contrast is the GABA Wave, the Piracetam (mildly) but mostly the creatine monohydrate. Although I will exhaust the Piracetam before trying the Ani again, I think the Ani is more of an irritant to me. The key I'm trying to stick to is that being committed means you are willing to spend the extra money and track the changes. Even if nothing ends up working for you at least you know. There are many threads on here and longecity.com that go off into the weeds about stacking these 'racetams and other things. I can honestly say the cheapest and most effective addition thus far has been the creatine monohydrate. 

• I know what you mean @2180 that piracetam takes for ever to show up. Well for me it does. I think that's why i gave up the first time after 1 month of trying. I went to aniracetam, but now i'm back on piracetam since i'm stacking it up with modifinil. Taking about 1600mg twice a day, but at night i'm taking oxiracetam too for studying. This week is going to be my second week on it. Been taking it off and on last week but i'm going to try it for a whole week and see how the dosage goes.