Sleep Issues + S.a.d....i Think. Advice Please

Hello, I've been having some sleep issue in the last 1-2 weeks and wanted to get some advice.  I basically cannot fall asleep. Sometimes I'm about to drift off and then I jerk awake.

I go to bed around 11:30-12 and last night it wasn't until after 3 AM.  I suspect it is a Seasonal Affective Disorder thing and that my body clock is off.  I've heard the term Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome (DSPS) and that is my suspicion.  Other than the occasional bad night of sleep once in a while I never have sleep issues.  I eat Paleo and more BP these days.  Workout regularly, take most supplements in the 'basics' section of the Supplements guide. I am not depressed, although I've been dealing with a back injury since Oct - but that has pretty much healed up as of 2 weeks ago.  This has kept me a little less active past few months.  Oh, and I live in Chicago where the winters are long and dark.

I just had my yearly bloodwork done and Vit D was at 56.  All good right?  I still do 2-4000 IU a day or every other.  Should I double or triple that due to whats going on? 

I've taken Jarrow Sleep Optimizer a few times.  First couple times it worked great, last night it did nothing. 

2 pills contain

Valerian Root (Valeriana officinalis) (root)     400 mg     *

L-Tryptophan                                                 300 mg     *

Hops (Humulus lupulus l.) (flower)                 100 mg     *

Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis) (leaves)      100 mg     *

PharmaGABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid)     100 mg     *

Melatonin                                                       0.3 mg     *

I also have some Klonopon but I really try to avoid that as much as possible.  It definitley works.

I was thinking about trying Inafred Light Therapy as there is a spa in my work building.  But since my sleep is delayed, I think I should do that in the morning...not afternoon?

Also, I do have the HeartMath app on my iphone.  I have been using it daily since this started.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Do you meditate/journal/yoga at all to help still your mind?

Do you do any HRV training?

Have you looked into all of the 'basic' sleep hacks that Dave recommends on his site and implemented those?

You hit the nail on the head regarding sleep supps, they become a crutch to lean on. I try to avoid them entirely.

Oh, try and hit the sack earlier than 1130pm to midnight. You've got bigger things to worry about from cortisol releases offsetting the delay of melatonin release than worrying about SAD. Also, DSPS, I wouldn't worry about it. Look up the ICD-9 and I'm sure you can find a heap of other things to call a poor nights sleep ;-) relax, you're normal.

• Do you meditate/journal/yoga at all to help still your mind?

Do you do any HRV training?

Have you looked into all of the 'basic' sleep hacks that Dave recommends on his site and implemented those?

You hit the nail on the head regarding sleep supps, they become a crutch to lean on. I try to avoid them entirely.

Oh, try and hit the sack earlier than 1130pm to midnight. You've got bigger things to worry about from cortisol releases offsetting the delay of melatonin release than worrying about SAD. Also, DSPS, I wouldn't worry about it. Look up the ICD-9 and I'm sure you can find a heap of other things to call a poor nights sleep :wink: relax, you're normal.

Thanks, I am not currently jounaling or meditating but do HRV training with HeartMath on my Iphone.  I haven't been consitient and am now for sure.  I will get back on the journaling/gratitude - which I have done in the past. 

I agree on the ICD9 codes and labels - its still a crappy night sleep.  I do really suspect lack of sunlight and too much indoor time as part of this whole thing.  I'm trying to get some sun on my face in the morning and I also picked up a light therapy device.  I'm upping my Vit D to 10,000 IU in the AM.  The good news that I forgot to mention is that I'm leaving for Utah in 2 days.  A full week of skiing.  Mountians, sunshine, adrenaline, exiliration.  I really think this will be a good reset for me.

Can you explain the "cortisol releases offsetting the delay of melatonin release" you mentioned?

thanks!