Accuracy Of Sleep Cycle App

I'm wondering how accurate the sleep cycle app is. For many nights, it shows that I am awake through most of the night and only enter into a deep sleep cycle about once around 4 am or so. This is very strange to me and doesn't fit with my experience using Beddit where I did seem to have many periods of long deep sleep. 

I also listen to a book on tape on my Iphone to help me go to sleep and it plays for many hours while I am sleeping. i'm wondering if, since they are both on the same device, this might be causing an interference...

Comments

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Beddit is probably more accurate. And how do you listen to the book? Earphones? Otherwise the sound might fool Sleep Cycle, I'm not sure though.

• I play it aloud, don't use earphones.
  • WalterWalter ✭✭✭

I play it aloud, don't use earphones.

That might be the issue, as I read on the website of Sleep Cycle.

The app uses the microphone for noise analysis
  • Really helpful. Thanks so much.

It must be assuming that I'm awake and talking. Is the only way they monitor cycles of sleep is through the noise factor however?
  • WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Really helpful. Thanks so much.

It must be assuming that I'm awake and talking. Is the only way they monitor cycles of sleep is through the noise factor however?

No it also measures movement, assuming that in your deep sleep you don't move at all and in other sleeping phases you can toss and turn.

• edited February 2015

I'm wondering how accurate the sleep cycle app is. For many nights, it shows that I am awake through most of the night and only enter into a deep sleep cycle about once around 4 am or so. This is very strange to me and doesn't fit with my experience using Beddit where I did seem to have many periods of long deep sleep. 

I also listen to a book on tape on my Iphone to help me go to sleep and it plays for many hours while I am sleeping. i'm wondering if, since they are both on the same device, this might be causing an interference...

I have found the sleep cycle app to be fairly accurate with a 46 day sample. With % quality of sleep relating to how well rested I feel for the rest of the day.

Beddit is probably more accurate. And how do you listen to the book? Earphones? Otherwise the sound might fool Sleep Cycle, I'm not sure though.

What tech. does beddit use that makes it more accurate than sleep cycle? I was interested in trying beddit, but it looks like beddit has had a ton of negative reviews in the past couple of months (server problems?)

That might be the issue, as I read on the website of Sleep Cycle.

From the website:

Why is it asking me for permission to use the microphone when I start an alarm?

The app uses the microphone for noise analysis and some background support. It does not record and store anything.

It does not matter if you give permission or not, the app will work perfectly anyway since the accelerometer is the primary source for analysis.

Also try this from website

Can I listen to music or podcasts while using Sleep Cycle?

Yes:

1. Set an alarm.

2. Start your music.

So maybe try setting the alarm first before turning on the music/audiobook?

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

What tech. does beddit use that makes it more accurate than sleep cycle? I was interested in trying beddit, but it looks like beddit has had a ton of negative reviews in the past couple of months (server problems?)

Beddit has a strap you sleep on that does the measuring, whereas Sleep Cycle will base its analysis on the movement of the mattress (and on sounds), presumably caused by the person sleeping. So merely because beddit has a more direct form of measurement I assume it's more accurate. Plus it measures heart beat and respiration, it says on their website.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

The last 5-7 days my Sleep Cycle graphs have showed near-awake graphs all night. It's been working pretty normally for hundreds of days up until now, with every night at least a dip halfway down, and generally some good full dips into deep sleep. 

However, I've felt pretty decent after each night, and also remembered dreams, which would suggest some sleep was happening. So I'm wondering if the app is malfunctioning or my sleep is actually ruined. Maybe I've started snoring?

1. Any idea where on the Sleep Cycle graph dreaming REM sleep would show?

2. Anyone else had a prolonged period where Sleep Cycle shows terrible sleep?