Constipation, Swelling And Liquid Retention

Hi everybody, I started to follow a PHD/paleo diet from july 2014 and ultimately I’ve tried to be low on carbs and don’t eat fruits from january.

Practically from the day I’ve started to not eat anymore grains and legumes I’ve experienced periods of constipation and a bit of abdominal swelling, I don’t go to the bathroom daily anymore. Moreover last week I had belly cramps and in just a couple of days I gained 4kgs of liquid retention.

Last Saturday evening I ate a lot of homemade sauerkrauts that caused me diarrhea at 3AM, but at least they helped a bit to relieve belly tension.

This last episode may be caused by an intestinal virus, even though I’m not sure, but however I don’t understand what to change to cure my (paleo) constipation.

What am I doing wrong? What should I add?

Comments

• It seems more likely to me that "this last episode" was caused by the change in your diet, not an intestinal virus.

Unless you have specific reasons...I would add the legumes and grains back in and hope you can get your digestion back on track.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• It seems more likely to me that "this last episode" was caused by the change in your diet, not an intestinal virus.

Unless you have specific reasons...I would add the legumes and grains back in and hope you can get your digestion back on track.

Without grains I feel so much better, so I don't consider adding them back and moreover sometimes I cheat/binge and eat food with grains.

Reading in other sites my guess would rather be that I don't assume enough safe starches or drink enough water, or maybe I cannot do intermittent fasting as I sometimes do. Do you think that increasing carbs could help?