Diatomaceous Earth

was wondering if anyone has used this and what recommended dosage? What are the differences between activated charcoal? 

Comments

• I'm similarly curious. I have a 10 lb bag of it. (food grade) I read to start with a teaspoon and move up to a tablespoon. It's different from activated charcoal, in that it has minerals, as well as some anti-parasite action.

So, it's probably not necessary to take it 2 hours away from food, like with charcoal. 

Another similar cheap way to increase minerals, is Azomite. I believe both of these have silica, and both have many reported health benefits. Some people consume up to 2-3 tablespoons of azomite a day!

www.beingcatalyzed.blogspot.com

• I used food grade DE before going Bulletproof. I definitely noticed the effects while taking it. 

It boosted my immune system. I made it through an entire winter without getting sick. When friends and family

are sick around me I typically always catch the bug. I didn't this year and the only thing I was doing different was taking DE.

I was skeptical about taking it since starting the BP diet. Not sure why because I don't think it would hurt anything.

I too have a 10 lb bag so I would love to continue to use it. 

If anyone knows of any reasons to not take DE while on the BP diet, please speak up :)

• I take DE almost every day! I can't see any reason not to take it on a Bulletproof diet. It would seem to be another super supplement, as it provides silica and trace minerals that help with anti-aging - a reason most of us are here.  :)

It differs from activated charcoal as it doesn't have the magnetic charge that causes the adsorption of toxins. It moreso "sweeps" through the intestines, getting into the smaller areas and scrubbing them out. And of course - it's ideal for internal parasites, which I've read that *all* humans/animals have to some degree.  Since I've started integrating more meat into my diet (former vegetarian here!), I've made sure to keep up with the DE intake and I've never had issues (that I've noticed!) with internal parasites, food poisoning, etc.

I take upwards of two tablespoons each morning after oil pulling. I started with 1 tsp and would recommend the same for newbies, working up slowly over a few weeks. In case you do have some wicked parasites, you do not want to cause a die-off too quickly.

I wait at least one hour before taking any supplements. It *can* interfere with their absorption.

It's apparently calorie free, so it should be OK while intermittent fasting, which I practice daily with seemingly no interference.

I've read to not take it at night because it can cause an energy boost and interfere with sleep. I can't say I've ever really played with this.

The benefits I've noticed:

A decrease in appetite (I'll take it an hour before my BP coffee, and won't need to eat until well after 2 or 3 PM)

Improved digestion and a strong ability to handle potentially toxic foods when taken before questionable meals

Much faster hair and nail growth

A general increase in energy levels

Smoother skin overall

This could all be related to a very clean BP diet, but I've been taking DE for about 8 years now, and absolutely swear by it. Because it's so cheap, it is a must have! And it's also helped take care of a few ant infestations around the house in the summertime.  ;)

• Did order this and will let you guys know my experiences! Tried all clays almost so far, koalin and this one will be tried soon!
  • I have purchased some horsetail silica, but have ditched that for diatomaceous earth..

tried some today and amazed at the increase in my energy levels. I dissolved one heaped tablespoon in water and drank it on an empty stomach.

This is nearly all silica right? something like 89% if I remember correctly.

I'm very impressed with the results so far and will continue to take this, as well as feed it to my dog to cleanse internal worms and parasites.

Am interested in how diatomaceous earth can interfere with supplement absorption? I've read to take it approx one hour away from supplements

but I haven't heard read any specific reasons or hard evidence to suggest why this is. Does anyone know if and how would it interefere with absorption of

anything else? Probiotics, supps, etc?

• I can't help you with this but I have to say:

It did get rid of my trigger points in my legs after 2.5 years! Insane experience, tried literally everything out there. Will take this the rest of my life.

• i have no evidence to the contrary, but based on the various wives tales on the interwebs, I will take diatomaceous Earth, approx 90 mins after my morning supps, as not to interfere with any potential absorption issues.

I certainly wish a luminary like Dr John Brisson would chime in on this critical and pertinent issue.

• edited August 2015

Where do you guys order your DE?

Good protocols to start with?

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

How and why would DE provide a boost in energy?

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015

I can't help you with this but I have to say:

It did get rid of my trigger points in my legs after 2.5 years! Insane experience, tried literally everything out there. Will take this the rest of my life.

Parasites, parasites everywhere!

Either it eliminated some parasites or blinded some toxins in the digestive tract.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

Where do you guys order your DE?

Good protocols to start with?

Check FYG

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

i have no evidence to the contrary, but based on the various wives tales on the interwebs, I will take diatomaceous Earth, approx 90 mins after my morning supps, as not to interfere with any potential absorption issues.

I certainly wish a luminary like Dr John Brisson would chime in on this critical and pertinent issue.

That would be correct.

• Parasites, parasites everywhere!

Either it eliminated some parasites or blinded some toxins in the digestive tract.

I dont know like I tried every toxin binder already. Some cleared up brain fog like zeolite but none helped with trigger points. Guess we will never know? I did buy mine from an uk site, good price being in europe!

• Check FYG

Just went to your site to look for where to purchase, and while I saw you have a lot of great content there now that I am looking forward to... I did not actually see a list of where to buy what. Doing a search wasn't clearly leading me to a resource page either.  Can you post a link to what you are referring to?

• CarlosisCarlosis
    edited September 2015

Is there a particular type/origin of diatomaceous earth we should look to source? I'm in the UK so will likely get an alternative to the one suggested by your fine yourselves. 

Also, is this preferred over calcium bentonite or alongside? 

edited September 2015

Is there a particular type/origin of diatomaceous earth we should look to source? I'm in the UK so will likely get an alternative to the one suggested by your fine yourselves. 

Also, is this preferred over calcium bentonite or alongside? 

Anything food grade is fine.

Depends on what you are using it for. DE is more for parasites, CB is for toxin absorption and detox.

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

I'd throw in some black walnut hulls for increased anti-parasitic and anti-fungal action!

• I had a persistent cough for 5-6 months a few years back. I was (very unfortunately and stupidly!) persuaded by my doctor to have 2 lots of antibiotics, the first lot didn't work, neither did the second. I remembered my mum using DE a while ago so tried it. 3-5 days later?! Cough gone!! Coincidence? I think not!! I have stopped taking it now, although I do use it with coconut oil as a good toothpolish! However I'm part way through a full fast detox and have seen evidence of parasites.... I think I will definitely get it out of the cupboard when I get back to England!!
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    \deftab720
    \pard\pardeftab720\sl360\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs24 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 1554605.png}
  • Ps. Likewise, I see no reason why it would interfere with BP lifestyle.
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    \deftab720
    \pard\pardeftab720\sl360\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs24 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 1554605.png}
  • Just started using DE (1 tsp) early this week and notice that I feel full for the rest of the day.  It isn't a comfortable full feeling either.  Almost like a "I just ate 3 Thanksgiving dinners bloated" kinda of full.  It is difficult to get any food in. Last evening I forced down a green smoothie just bc I hadn't had anything to eat all day.  Is this just my body getting used to it?  Normal for a DE newbie?

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

Is DE also a 'general health' thing...

or in otherwords, is there any point in taking DE if you are not targeting it at something. 

if it is (good for general health),  what would be the DE protocol for general health  ? 

fake it till you make it

• I'm thinking about trying this stuff for pest control in my garden and house, maybe I should try drinking some too?
  • Also a member of the 10lb bag club.

Started using DE for ants and unwanted insects. I now actively ingest Diatomaceous Earth to aid in digestive anomalies and find it unendingly incredible what a few million fossilized diatom skeletons will do.

However potent this substance is on it's own, I believe I have found its perfect companion. Active coconut charcoal.

My issues with digestive duress have plagued me for many years. Many doctors have prescribed many different medications to treat their many diagnosis. Nothing ever really helped at all. In fact as is wholly predictable to anyone that had walked a similar path, the prescription drugs only offered more problems to deal with.

Shortly after reading about the wonders of taking DE internally, I noticed that it was helpful in suppressing my issues to a point but not entirely. Reading about different ways to compliment DE, I found there to be a few individuals that held activated charcoal in high regard. So I jumped in.

This fine morning I was feeling an episode of nausea and stomach pain coming on. I've tried to suppress my episodes before with a teaspoon of DE in half a cup of water. It always seems to make me feel better immediately but does not negate the onset of the episode completely. Sometimes even resulting in a vomit response.

Drinking some activated charcoal in half a cup of water before ingesting the DE has proven to be the magic bullet for my issues. Taking this today completely negated the episode. And left me with a strange rush of energetic vigor. It was pretty cool. I'm hoping I can get similar results with repeated use.

Here's to Diatoms and Activated Charcoal. Carbon and Silica. I suppose it makes sense that those two work so well together to restore well being.

Good Health Mudskippers!