Woke Up After 4 Hours Sleep. Feel Great!

So, I've been playing around with the BP diet for months now, but went back to eating anything after some recent holidays.

However I started being strictly BP since Sunday, and I mean very strictly.

When I was on BP diet before, I became very fatigued and eventually had to take a sick day off work just to sleep. I actually started a topic here about it. After doing some reading I believe I was suffering from keto-flu or the effects of my body trying to flush toxins out. I realised that you need plenty of water to help this along, and I wasn't drinking nearly enough last time I was trying to be BP.

Well...since Sunday I've been drinking lots of water, even in the mornings as I believe coffee dehydrates me. I've also been very strict with my sleeping habits. I used to lay in bed on my phone looking at Facebook or txting people. Since last weekend I've been strict with myself. When I go to bed I put the phone on charge, switch it to silent and go straight to sleep. I'm usually asleep between 9.30pm and 10.30pm now.

I've been doing it nearly a week now and my body feels really good, very rested and generally less stressed.

Anyway, last night I tried the raw honey sleep hack. I went to sleep at 10.30pm and woke up naturally at 2.30am!!!

This is the first time on the BP diet where I am beginning to see the claims from Dave about reduced sleep actually happening to me. It's actually quite amazing.

I will see how tired I feel at the end of today and post back here, but at the moment I feel great. I have literally had 5 hours to kill before I go to work. Imagine what you can do with all that extra time!!! ;)

To summarise, I have achieved this by a few small changes to my day:

• Go to bed when you're tired. Don't put it off.
  • When you're in bed, go to sleep. Don't play with your phone or go on your laptop.
  • Drink plenty of water, preferably with lemon.
  • Eat strictly BP. Plan ahead, make your lunches for the week. No excuse.

This sounds simple, but you'd be surprised how many people can't manage these.

Comments

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

I wake up at crazy early times too since doing all the 'sleep hacks' and eating bulletproof. And while it does feel much better than before when I'd feel tired however long I slept, when waking after 5 hours of sleep I do much better with a short nap around noon.

I think most people would benefit tremendously from the 'no screens' rule, just to be in relative darkness for an hour or so.

• But is 4 hours too little? I think that I read in BP book that a normal lenght should be 6-7 hours?

I usualy sleep 4 hours and wake up in 4 AM, then I have troubles going back to sleep for an about an hour and then I sleep extra 2-3hours. So together it is 7 hours. Is this OK? Or it would be better to wake up at 4 AM... but it is so dark then :D

What do you think?

• I've had kind of the same thing going.   

I go to sleep about 10 or so, wake up at 3.  Wide awake.   

I'm finding that when I have work to do, I can get up, get after it and buzz through the rest of my day with no ill effects.   But if I don't have anything pressing work on and I spend an hour or 2 reading, or just tossing and turning trying to get back to sleep, I'll finally get to sleep and wake up with the alarm at 6 feeling like dog doo....and that will carry through the day.   

Its great though. I can get more done between 3 and 6 with no distractions than happens during the rest of the day.   My wife is kind of P.O.'d about it though.   

This never really happened when I was doing Paleo/Primal.  Makes me think its associated with the MCT/Brain Octane.   

• edited April 2015

I've been trying to reduce my sleep for over a year now. Anything less than 7hr's of sleep for me. I feel horrid the entire day.

At night I use 

• BlueBlockers 
    • F.lux
    • Red LEDs 
    • No light in my bedroom
    • Bed time is 11pm at the latest

But I just cant seem to get less sleep, wake up without an alarm. And feel good the next day.

• I've been trying to reduce my sleep for over a year now. Anything less than 7hr's of sleep for me. I feel horrid the entire day.

At night I use 

• BlueBlockers 
    • F.lux
    • Red LEDs 
    • No light in my bedroom
    • Bed time is 11pm at the latest

But I just cant seem to get less sleep, wake up without an alarm. And feel good the next day.

One thing that reliably shaves an hour off of my sleep time, while still wakeing up feeling rested, is earthing. You seem to be doing a lot right already.

I think oxygenation is a big deal too. I was experimenting with the buteyko breathing method for a little bit. And while I was doing all of the exercises I experienced profoundly restful sleep. One day I woke up and just popped out of bed with no fatigue and felt totaly rested. But the downside is that the exercises can be quite gruling and difficult, at least to me at the time. People in the community who are more high performance oriented might have and easier time. I am finally exercising and meditating on a regular basis so I might add the buteyko method back in sometime soon.

Its been claimed before that advanced practitioners of Buteyko breathing regularly only need 4 hours of sleep and they probably experience the same sort of rejuvinated feeling that I mentioned above on a regular basis.

• Hahah so I'm not the only one waking up at 2.30am! Although that was only two days in a row a little while ago. I am wondering how you ended up feeling later that day? I found I was absolutely fine and just went to bed at my normal time, which is 9ish. I was also wondering what to do with all that extra time!!

Then I heard Hal Elrod on Bulletproof Radio and I'm now doing The Miracle Morning every day - I Love it so much! I have already been getting up at 5am for about a year, however since starting my Miracle Mornings I have changed the alarm time gradually and am now down to 4.15am. I am going to try the honey trick and see when I wake up tomorrow :D

Night night all and sweet dreams ZZzzz!

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.