Very High Nagalase? Anyone Have Experience With This?

Hi I'm brand new to the forum. 

My functional medicine doctor measured my nagalase (ref range = 0.32-0.95). My result is 2.60. 

My doctor suggested a series of shots to bring the level down that would ultimately cost upwards of $2000. Not covered by insurance. I'm hesitant to pay that. But, since it appears this may be an early warning sign of cancer, I'm worried. Any advice? Thanks!

What is Nagalase?

Nagalase is a protein made by all cancer cells and viruses (HIV, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, influenza, herpes, Epstein-Barr virus, and others). Its formal, official chemical name is alpha-N-acetylgalactosaminidase, but this is such a tongue-twisting mouthful of a moniker that we usually just call it “Nagalase.” 

Why is Nagalase important?

1. Nagalase causes immunodeficiency. Nagalase blocks production of GcMAF, thus preventing the immune system from doing its job. Without an active immune system, cancer and viral infections can grow unchecked.
  2. As an extremely sensitive marker for all cancers, Nagalase provides a powerful system for early detection.
  3. Serial Nagalase testing provides a reliable and accurate method for tracking the results of any therapeutic regimen for cancer, AIDS, or other chronic viral infection.

The malignant and viral entities that make Nagalase are not normally present, so its appearance is a big deal from a diagnostic perspective. When Nagalase shows up, even in very small amounts, we have the earliest glimpse of a new cancer or viral infection. The old adage, “Where there’s smoke, there’s fire” applies here. A positive Nagalase test notifies us that a cancer (or a nasty virus) lurks within.

Nagalase appears in the blood stream when a nascent cancer is just a minute cluster of abnormal cells, long before conventional diagnostic methods can detect it. Through blood testing, we can find this red flag, even when present at exceedingly low levels.

Comments

• Hi!

I had to skip my morning duel-n-back training to read up on the subject.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3812199/

Personally, I don't have any experience with the test you mentioned and its the first time I hear about it.

Your values are indeed out of the reference range.

However, before investing 2000$ in a therapy (is it the one described in the paper in the link I cited?), I would do some additional blood work and try to figure out what neoplastic or viral condition do you have in the first place (tumor and viral markers are most likely covered by insurance). If any tumor marker is elevated, then you may want to perform some radiological investigation (ultrasound, CT or MRI).

Do you or any of your relatives have any history of cancer?

• http://www.europeanlaboratory.nl/documents/Nagalase%20in%20bloed%20eng.pdf

You may want to confirm/rule out at least some of the conditions described in the link, including autoimmunity.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    like DagothUr, I'd never heard of nagalase before...what made your doc run that test.

(no need to answer of course. just wondered).

Also, do you have a link to info on the treatment/medicine you mentioned, or the name of the drugs/medicine.

fake it till you make it

• Thanks for replying guys. 

Dagothur found the article about the drug -- http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3812199/

GcMaf. It does appear to be effective in improving immunity. My doctor tests all her patients for this (she's very comprehensive .... and expensive!)

Many of my relatives have had cancer. All my grandparents are dead (3/4 had cancer). First cousin died of cancer at 32. 

I'm pretty sure she tested me for other tumor markers and would have said something if I needed to be more alarmed, but I'm going to email her to make sure. She also tested for viruses and found various virus markers, so I'm hoping this is a sign of that. And I do have autoimmune conditions (which is what brought me to the expensive doctor to begin with).

However, in that link -- some of the people with cancer have nagalase levels that are much lower than me. That scares me. Are there any doctors here that might be able to just informally weigh in and tell me how big a deal this is? I don't have $2500 to invest in this at the moment. 

• hey campersurfer, did you end up pursuing this? 

I'm intrigued by the nagalase/gcMAF topic. I see a board certified neurologist who has a neuro-immunology practice. I've got some immune issues that we believe is the result of an ongoing herpes simplex 1 virus (had chickenpox when I was a kid). He mentioned that he's looking at gcMAF as a potential treatment for folks with immune issues. He also does a lot of work with autism.

Then I saw a more naturopathic kind of practitioner and he told me about a decidedly less expensive way to pursue this. Going the route above I'm assuming involves injecting gcMAF. He said that he saw a number of patients go that route and most of them experienced significant increases in inflammation throughout their bodies, like the immune system went from slow to overactive. He's now recommending the suppositories and fermented milk products here:

http://www.bravo-probiotics.com/

The suppositories are $225 for a 36 day supply, the kit to make the fermented milk product is something like $550 for a 3 month's supply and they recommend using raw milk (which I can get) to do it. Looks simple, from what I understand you put a liter of raw milk in a glass jar, pour in 2 packets of different powders, wait 24 hours and now you have it and it will last a week. 

I'll probably start with the suppositories and give those a try for maybe a couple of months to see if that has any impact on my issues, then maybe I'll go from there to adding in the fermented milk product.

The suppository option is intriguing to me. I've tried a number of glutathione options over the years, including Dave's, and never felt any substantive change in my health from using them. Then my neuro immunologist recommended a compounded glutathione suppository and I absolutely feel a difference from that. 500 mg of glutathione and I use it 2-3x/week. So from my layman's perspective, while this is probably my least favorite way to take a supplement, at least in this one case it appears far more effective than other methods.

So this will likely be one of my next health improvement experiments. If I do it, I'll report back with my experience.

• Campersurfer. Any follow-up news on this?

• Hello Campersurfer, and everyone else following this,

I just did a Nagalase test and my results came back 1.13 (ref range 0.32-0.95 is normal). I'm pleased with this because it is close to normal.

The reason I took the test is because I have stage 4 breast cancer, diagnosed in August 2015, and I have negative tumor markers (CEA, ca 15 and ca 27.29 are all normal and I have them done three different times, and also from different labs since August, so I know they are useless for me to monitor my progress.)

I am treating my cancer holistically/ functionally and my insurance company is giving me a hard time about doing PET CAT scans, because I am not doing the standard of care, and also my doctors don't seem interested in working with me, since they are not making any money, I am assuming.

In addition to the Nagalase test, I also did the Cancer Profile (CA Profile), it costs $500 and they test for the PHI enzyme, and a couple HCG tests as well as some other blood tests to get a picture of what is going on.  It is expensive up front, but the good thing about this test is you don't need to keep redoing the whole test, just the items that are out of values. This works for me because I live 30 minutes from the lab (Hollywood, Florida) it would be a little more costly if you don't live in the vicinity. From that test I got an elevated PHI (but not by much) and found out my DHEA was that of a 70-year-old woman! Researching it, I found that low DHEA is associated with incidences of cancer.

So now I actually have something (Nagalase and PHI) that I can monitor my progress monthly, and not have to do those PET SCANs, full of radiation, glucose and heavy metals.

Campersurfer I would recommend the CA Profile, if you have no tumor markers.  In addition to that test, you can also do the Oncoblot test, which is also pricey, it runs about $1000 or so. That test tells you the location of the cancer(s) and confirm malignancy.

I know it is expensive, it all is expensive, believe me I know, CANCER is expensive, but you don't want to get to where I am at, with cancer, or at stage 4, now I am fighting for my life at 40 with two young daughters, if you have the opportunity to discover it or rule it out, then you cannot afford not to do it.

Best wishes on your healing journey.

• check out those videos :  

• espesp

Campsurfer. Today is 13 May 2018 ~ ru here? I have a nagalase story. Lemme no if you are still interested.