Has Anyone Lost Weight?

It seems every post I read is about another women who is struggling to lose weight on this diet.  Has anyone truly been successful eating Bulletproof?  I have been totally committed for just under two weeks and feel good, cravings are gone and am sleeping better however, the more time I spend on here the more confused I get.  I just read a post that said women shouldn't be IF and also shouldn't be restricting their carbs so low.  What? 

Basically all I am looking for are women who have been successful on this program. I truly have no need to waste my time and money on a program that is just going to be another failed attempt at weight loss, I have had enough of those, now looking for something that is going to speed up my metabolism and help me feel normal again. 

Does anyone have any inspiring stories that they can share?  Any tips?

Comments

• NickatNickat
    edited March 2015

Losing fat is certainly an achievement although it doesn't always add up to that much weight. Most weight is in muscles and you don't want to be losing too much of that. In short understanding what goes into your body in terms of clean quality food will be your first achievement. Understanding exactly what a keto diet is will be your second. The BP Diet is really ultimately an anti inflammatory and longevity diet that uses cycling ketosis as a tool to acuire better health, long living and to give your body a makeover from poisons and nightshades. If you have come from a particularly clean diet you will not see much in weight lose. Personally we both as male and female (Nic and Kat) think the diet works well after fine tuning your changing goals of nutrition. If there is anything that will put you on the right path it will be Infographics (http://www.bulletproofexec.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Bulletproof-Diet-Infographic-Vector.pdf) and learning more at the Ketogenic Diet Resources site:  http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/

• Cruiser42Cruiser42 Want to look like this again - or BETTER!

It seems every post I read is about another women who is struggling to lose weight on this diet.  Has anyone truly been successful eating Bulletproof?  I have been totally committed for just under two weeks and feel good, cravings are gone and am sleeping better however, the more time I spend on here the more confused I get.  I just read a post that said women shouldn't be IF and also shouldn't be restricting their carbs so low.  What? 

Basically all I am looking for are women who have been successful on this program. I truly have no need to waste my time and money on a program that is just going to be another failed attempt at weight loss, I have had enough of those, now looking for something that is going to speed up my metabolism and help me feel normal again. 

Does anyone have any inspiring stories that they can share?  Any tips?

Hi, Kelly, welcome!

Yes - I do have a success story to share.  I am a professional dieter.  If that could have been my career, I would have been CEO.  I have been heavy all my life, and have yo-yo dieted (gain and lost 100 pounds multiple times).  I finally believe I have solved my emotional attachment to food, through therapy, and now I'm struggling to lose the last 50 pounds I have left.  In the middle of the last struggle, I got older somehow and am now in menopause.  That has exponentially hardened my ability to lose weight.  I could do it easily in the past, just had to get serious and buckle down.  Not so any more! 

The best tip I can give you about this plan is that you have to readjust your thinking.  That has helped me tremendously!  I have always been a "tell me exactly what to do and I'll do it" kind of person - then have been monumentally disappointed when that didn't work.  That translates to anger, which caused me to give up.  That doesn't work because everyone's body is different !!!!!  And a lot of the plans were devised according to a man's body - which you KNOW is not what you have.  Therefore, claims, examples, don't apply to you. 

I never understood that until I came here with all the "bio hacking" talk.  All that means is that you have to adjust this plan to suit YOUR body.  And there are enough examples on these forums to suggest that its very possible.  The tweaking, or bio/body hacking takes time.  Not something dieters want to hear.  We want to follow the rules and see results NOW!  This may take 2 months before you fully see some results.  That's hard to take.  BUT.  Your cravings are gone, you are sleeping better, and you feel better.  That's huge!  I don't know about you, but I didn't have those things on any other diet.  So embrace that for now, while you figure everything else out. 

I agree that it is confusing.  I would suggest buying Skye St John's book "No Fail Fat Burning For Women".  It is, more or less, BP for women.  (Its very reasonably priced!)  She tweaked the plan for women - so a lot of women on these forums follow it.  Skye used to be on these forums a lot, and I think burned out because I haven't seen a post from her in a long time.  But that might ease some of the confusion for you.  Don't try to compare plans, that will confuse you more.  Just try her tweaks and see how you do. 

I am now 1 month into the RFLP, Rapid Fat Loss Protocol.  It is extreme, but I needed something extreme to break through my menopausal body's resistance to losing weight.  I have lost 18.5 pounds in a month, and feel terrific !  I want to lose 50 pounds - that will take me to 150 pounds (I'm 5'5").  Then I will asses it further to see if I want to go down to 130.  I do not suggest the RFLP.  It is rough.  (And there's almost no anecdotal information for women on it.  That's why I have a near daily post about my experience). 

Okay, back to your question.  I am going to post a photo of me on Thanksgiving.  I was probably about 206-210 then.  I began BPIF (BulletProof Intermittent Fasting) on December 7th.  I have a selfie of me from January 12th - so 5 weeks after I started.  I'll let you decide how well I did on this plan.  In terms of the scale, I probably lost 10 or 12 pounds.  I derailed on Christmas and fell into old habits for a few days (I am NOT cured, taking it one day at a time like my AA buddy).  About the scale - ONCE a week - no more.  The last piece of advice I have for you is to listen to the women on this forum.  There are so many smart, courageous women here who are willing to share all they have with you.  I have been completely inspired by them.  It means I know I am not on this journey alone.

Best of luck to you!!!!  I hope some of this has helped.

Lisa

• edited March 2015

i agree with the said sentiments here. I have found that though i have not 'shrunk' those adherent adipose, BUT my moods are more balanced, my cravings disappear. which is HUGE for me.  i, too, found Skye's book EXTREMELY helpful, as well as Kriss Kesser's site. for me,  I have the onset of Hashimoto's (hypothyrodism righ now); so, for me, extremely lo-carbing is a no-no for hypothyroid. as its been said here, i have had to tweak the BP plan according to my body needs right now.  i do feel like my body is getting stronger, underneath these layers. i also have to incorporate the exercise now. i do yoga everyday, and will start to add in HIIT routines & weight training, a few times a wk. you will find what works right for you. be patient and give yourself some time. you will find the nutritional and wellness path that will work for you and create the results you crave. it will happen. ^___^

• I appreciate you taking the time, I do have Skyes book and have been following that protocol. Photos are great, thanks again!
  • I lost 10 pounds the first 20 days on the BP diet. I did the diet for 30 days and stopped because I got tired of the food. I was off the diet for 3 weeks and went back to eating other foods like carbs and fruit. Good news is that I kept the weight off and maintained the 10 pounds off. I'm on the diet again because I want to drop more weight.

I'm thinking that alternating months will work for me......that is doing the diet for one month and drop some weight and maintain that weight for the following the month and so on until I reach my desired weight which is 20 pounds from  now.

I'm in my 40s and could not find a diet that worked for me.....I believe the BP diet works however after a month I get sick of eating fish and beef. I'm learning to get creative with receipes which takes effort and time to organzie but it's worth it if it makes you drop the weight and maintain it.

Gloria

• Yes, I have lost 100 lbs on this diet. I follow what is on Dave's infographic to eat. The first three top tiers. It was rough at first as I did not want to give up ALL wheat, corn, and soy. But gradually I gave those up and now I eat the whole foods, like foods that are one ingredient: cashews, avocado, coconut oil, etc. I went from 370 to now 255. And I am still loosing those lbs! Stick with it, it really works. I have done emotional healing as well along with this diet and that helps to shed the pounds. I recommend Teal Swan's videos to work on the emotional healing part. She has a Youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSpiritualCatalyst . You'll find that you will upgrade all aspects of your life, not just weight.

• I too have been struggling with slow weight loss.  I started BP in mid-January and have lost only 6 lbs. This would be okay if I were feeling better.  I'm feeling okay, but not great.  In spite of change in diet the edema in my legs has not decreased, which means I haven't lost any water.  This seems to me a sign that the diet change is not doing what it should, and could explain why weight loss is sluggish and so am I.  I'm only 5'4'' and over 300 lbs with severe arthritis in both knees, so I REALLY need to drop the weight.

The research I've done in the last few weeks seems to indicate that paleo eating style may not be the right route for me until I strengthen/cleanse/defat my liver.  In 2010-11 I did "Ideal Protein," a low calorie, very low carbohydrate, very low fat, high protein protocol. I did lose ~80 lbs, BUT not only have I gained it all back, I  believe that due to this diet and the hyper stressful job I had in 2013, I now have a fatty liver in addition to a stressed out thyroid!!  Apparently, if you have a fatty liver your liver cannot burn fat efficiently. So, while this diet makes my thyroid happy, my liver is not thrilled!  I don't even want to think about adrenal fatigue, and let's not talk about menopause either!!!  Basically, I've realized that at present I'm something of a hormonal disaster salad! 

So, I've decided to start with my liver, as it may also be one of the root causes of all the migraines I get (it's been about 10-12 days in a row as of today--I've kind of lost count), as well as the difficulty in getting the weight off. I feel like I need a lighter diet than BP to help my liver heal. In the meantime, I've started doing some juicing.  Keeping fruits low glycemic, and substituting-out the goitrogenic veggies--eg, where a 2 serving recipe call for 4 apples, I put in 1, or 2 if they're small, and lemons and fresh cranberries; more celery and much less kale, and take my kelp, milk thistle, etc. 

I'm a bit leery of going gung-ho on juicing, as I am concerned about both too much sugar from fruit--I'm not diabetic but it's a delicate balance--and stressing my thyroid by being too low fat and high cruciferous.  So, I'm working out a plan that combines BP coffee and IF with juicing for middle of the day and an evening meal for fibre and protein.   I need to work out the details and count things to see how this works out re carb:protein:fat:calorie ratios. I'm not sure it will work, but it feels kind of right. Any thoughts?

• Cruiser42Cruiser42 Want to look like this again - or BETTER!

I too have been struggling with slow weight loss.  I started BP in mid-January and have lost only 6 lbs. This would be okay if I were feeling better.  I'm feeling okay, but not great.  In spite of change in diet the edema in my legs has not decreased, which means I haven't lost any water.  This seems to me a sign that the diet change is not doing what it should, and could explain why weight loss is sluggish and so am I.  I'm only 5'4'' and over 300 lbs with severe arthritis in both knees, so I REALLY need to drop the weight.

The research I've done in the last few weeks seems to indicate that paleo eating style may not be the right route for me until I strengthen/cleanse/defat my liver.  In 2010-11 I did "Ideal Protein," a low calorie, very low carbohydrate, very low fat, high protein protocol. I did lose ~80 lbs, BUT not only have I gained it all back, I  believe that due to this diet and the hyper stressful job I had in 2013, I now have a fatty liver in addition to a stressed out thyroid!!  Apparently, if you have a fatty liver your liver cannot burn fat efficiently. So, while this diet makes my thyroid happy, my liver is not thrilled!  I don't even want to think about adrenal fatigue, and let's not talk about menopause either!!!  Basically, I've realized that at present I'm something of a hormonal disaster salad! 

So, I've decided to start with my liver, as it may also be one of the root causes of all the migraines I get (it's been about 10-12 days in a row as of today--I've kind of lost count), as well as the difficulty in getting the weight off. I feel like I need a lighter diet than BP to help my liver heal. In the meantime, I've started doing some juicing.  Keeping fruits low glycemic, and substituting-out the goitrogenic veggies--eg, where a 2 serving recipe call for 4 apples, I put in 1, or 2 if they're small, and lemons and fresh cranberries; more celery and much less kale, and take my kelp, milk thistle, etc. 

I'm a bit leery of going gung-ho on juicing, as I am concerned about both too much sugar from fruit--I'm not diabetic but it's a delicate balance--and stressing my thyroid by being too low fat and high cruciferous.  So, I'm working out a plan that combines BP coffee and IF with juicing for middle of the day and an evening meal for fibre and protein.   I need to work out the details and count things to see how this works out re carb:protein:fat:calorie ratios. I'm not sure it will work, but it feels kind of right. Any thoughts?

Hey, Jaxx -

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble !!!  But I think you're on the right track == get your liver in fighting shape and maybe the weight loss, edema, etc will follow ???  I honestly don't know - but you have to start somewhere, right ? 

I'm sure there are posts on liver cleansing in the main diet forum -- maybe there's some insight for you there --

Let us know !!!!!

Take good care -

Lisa

• I love this thread.  Great discussion!!!   I'd rather keep the extra 10 pounds I carry and feel GREAT, sleep GREAT, and have energy.  Here's what I found, the diet is all that Lisa (Cruiser) said.  It is a time of tweaking.  You start with the basic plan, then adjust as you find things that do or don't work for YOU.    Also, with feeling good, sleeping well and having energy. . .guess what?  I'm much more active.  That for me is when the weight started to shift.  Also, the bloating totally went away that I felt as though I lost a lot of weight.  LOL!  There is something about feeling great that can fill in a lot of holes. 

Jaxx - I love juicing, too. I could just live on juicing, smoothies and BPC.  LOL!   I do make a BP friendly soup that I joke around is just a hot veggie smoothie.  Hee Hee.  We had it tonight with some chopped up chicken mixed in.  It is basically a ton of veggies, whatever spices/herbs I feel like, butter, Brain Octane Oil, Collagen Protein all in broth, heated, blended and served.  

I love your plan.  It sounds like a great plan to get in all you need for the day.  Yes, check the macros to keep them in the right % for you.  Also, you may want to journal what you are consuming including the time and supplements.  That way you can see "hey, I felt better on Tuesday when I added _____ and did _____"  So you can try that again and see if it works again.  PLEASE keep us in the loop on this. 

• I too have been struggling with slow weight loss.  I started BP in mid-January and have lost only 6 lbs. This would be okay if I were feeling better.  I'm feeling okay, but not great.  In spite of change in diet the edema in my legs has not decreased, which means I haven't lost any water.  This seems to me a sign that the diet change is not doing what it should, and could explain why weight loss is sluggish and so am I.  I'm only 5'4'' and over 300 lbs with severe arthritis in both knees, so I REALLY need to drop the weight.

One more thing I should have added above, there are some great green drinks (that include chlorella and spirulina, make sure organic, too)  on the market that are great for detoxing.   Personally I do not use one, but I know several who do and rave about them.  Adding some of that to your juice/smoothie could punch up your detox regimen.

• edited March 2015

Good news update:  Lisa and Linda--thanks so much for the support and excellent suggestions.  I've just loaded up on some supplements and will look into incorporating spirulina, chlorella, etc. into the program.  I am including things like parsley and cilantro  which are great detox agents.  Pretty much all bitter herbs and leafy greens are liver supporters and help aid in bile production, so I've added these in while limiting some of the goitrogens.

I have been food journaling for several months, and working with a dietician's support for weight loss and migraine control. The changes I'm making are working. Since starting the juicing a little over two weeks ago I'm feeling better internally, thinking more clearly, and having less food guilt/stress.   I had an appointment withe the dietician this morning and I'm down 2.9 kilos (6.4 lbs) in two weeks!  Yay!!

Recently, as noted above, I have been tracking macros as percentage calories, and so-far, so-good.  According to my tracking, with the juicing I'm now coming in around 45-50% fats: 15-20% protein: 30-40% carbs, and around 1650 calories on average.  Julia, my dietician, suggests upping the protein a bit, and bringing down the fat.  This may happen, but I'm not stressing it, and my feeling is that fat content may just as likely go up as my liver works better and I feel better.  Doing BP for two months has really helped me to allow myself to eat lovely, satiating fats without guilt and stress for the first time that I can remember--ever. This is a huge step forward. And, at last, the science is there to back me up.  So, continuing to take a personal biohacking approach, I'm continuing to tweak.  I'm using coconut cream or organic heavy cream in my tea/coffee instead of butter for the time being because it feels better to my body and is still very satisfying.

So, Kellyh704, my tip for weight loss on BP is Keep on Tweaking!  Make a program that works for you.  Make adjustments, keep track of how you feel, then make more adjustments.  I really like Dave Asprey's way of looking at this as a continuum.  Everyday adds information to help us make the next day better.  We are all unique individuals with unique genes, gut flora, sensitivities and kryptonite.  We just need to pay attention and keep on tweaking.

• First off I would find a nutritionist or naturopath who does live blood analysis. There have been times where I have struggled on my own wondering what am I doing wrong, then finally I would go to my naturopath and would find my thyroid was not quite right or my liver was sluggish, once I had a bacterial infection and didn't know it. I would also make sure this practitioner knows and promotes the benefits of high fat and or intermittent fasting, otherwise you will get resistance rather than assistance. I believe there is a website that lists doctors and naturopaths that have trained in paleo style principles so that could be a start. But essentially I would call up and interview them to see if they are in alignment.

I lost 10kg (sorry I don't do pounds very well) doing high protein low carb with 1 cheat day a week about 8 years ago, I then put 3 back on very quickly. I then did drops combined with a very low calorie diet which was no carb, moderate protein, low healthy fats and heaps of veggies. I lost 15kg+ and actually ended up a bit too skinny so deliberately put a few back on. After that I found my weight and my moods would yo yo due to guilt, body image pressures, etc... Bulletproof has allowed me to easily maintain a healthy weight and because my brain is functioning so well no more crazy mood swings! I love exercise too but sometimes don't get to due to busy lifestyle but my weight does not alter regardless. Sometimes I feel over full like I have eaten too much and still no weight gain! I can have cheats or what I consider cheats and still no weight gain, feel foggy and not 100% but no weight gain!

I do either green tea or decaf coffee for my bp drinks with 15g ghee and 15g butter plus mct oil and vanilla. Lunch is at about 2pm and either a protein shake (happy to give recipe if you like) or meat and veggie and then dinner is meat and veggie. All sorts of ways and kinds so it not boring but we do have our favourites! My whole family is on this now. My partner, brother, parents and even my grandma does a few of the principles!

Have fun and focus on health, hope it works as well for you as it has for me!

• So, Kellyh704, my tip for weight loss on BP is Keep on Tweaking!  Make a program that works for you.  Make adjustments, keep track of how you feel, then make more adjustments.  I really like Dave Asprey's way of looking at this as a continuum.  Everyday adds information to help us make the next day better.  We are all unique individuals with unique genes, gut flora, sensitivities and kryptonite.  We just need to pay attention and keep on tweaking.

I whole-heartedly agree with this!  Well said.