Organic Valley Cultured Butter Unsalted

I am new to bulletproof and really interested in trying bulletproof coffee. Nearest Kerrygold seller is over 1 hr away, but I have seen Organic Valley Cultured butter in my local store.

http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/butter/cultured/cultured-unsalted-1-lb-4-quarters/

From what I've read this butter is mostly grass-fed but maybe not completely. It doesn't do a great job in the description. Does anyone use this or think it would be acceptable for bulletproof coffee?

Comments

• Great, so organic would trump a fully grass fed butter?
  • edited March 2015

you want the organic valley pasture butter if possible, it is in the green packaging and often not available year round (though it is in stores here right now) since it is produced when the cows are mostly eating grass rather than the organic feeds. Best commercial quality I've been able to find, better flavor and consistency than kerrygold but also a little more expensive.

If you can't find the Pasture version then it is probably better to stick to kerrygold (always 90+% grass fed even though the rest has some gmo feed), or butter from a local farm.

• no, but grass fed organic trumps grass fed but not organic. 

and keep in mind that none of these butters are 100% fully grass fed unlesss you get the stuff that is specifically from the summer months. closest thing to that that i've found is pure indian ghee, as they only sell ghee from the summer months i think. 

• Ok yeah I saw the pasture butter on the OV website but saw it said it is lightly salted. Wasn't sure how that would be in coffee.

Otherwise I'll give the cultured a shot since I don't have access to Kerrygold. And possibly look into getting Ghee, although from what I've read that has some emulsifying issues.

Thanks for the info.
  • ghee is awesome, I pick some up at the farmers market regularly. It gives a very different texture in BPC because it does not emulsify as well on it's own, but it is still really good, and it makes your bpc smell like butterscotch. I use it maybe half of the time I make BPC now.

no, but grass fed organic trumps grass fed but not organic. 

and keep in mind that none of these butters are 100% fully grass fed unlesss you get the stuff that is specifically from the summer months. closest thing to that that i've found is pure indian ghee, as they only sell ghee from the summer months i think. 

• I've put the Organic Valley in my BPC once or twice when I could not restock the KG unsalted and I can honestly say it does not taste as good. Blech, even!

Bulletproof Coffee Enabled Trance Deejay - https://soundcloud.com/euphoric-break

• I've put the Organic Valley in my BPC once or twice when I could not restock the KG unsalted and I can honestly say it does not taste as good. Blech, even!

Ditto this. I've tried other organic unsalted butters, but nothing seems to taste as good or as creamy as Kerrygold.
  • While I haven't tried Kerrygold as yet, I started with Devondale Unsalted and wasn't sure this was something I could do. It just wasn't a very nice coffee. This week I've switched to Westgold Unsalted from NZ and I think I'm getting closer to what it actually *should* taste like. Much creamier too.

• The organic valley pasture butter green bar ..tastes magnificent  this butter you show is probably organic feed only..  the pasture butter actually lists the CLA content in the butter!

• Cultured butter will definitely add a sour taste to your coffee.

• I've been using Kerrygold but recently found Calma Optimal Amish Butter at a local grocery store. I emailed them about the source of the butter butter. Here's their response:

Thank you for your purchase and interest in our product!  The cream for the butter comes from small farms in the Midwest that are mostly grass fed.  Due to harsh Midwest winters the cows are supplemented with grains to get them through the cold.  They are not exclusively grass fed. I hope this answers your question.

Sounds similar to what I've heard about Kerrygold not being 100% grass-fed. I'll try it tomorrow in my coffee and report back.